Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

“Do a Search”: Using the FlyerTalk Search Function in the Hilton Honors Forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2002, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, HH Gold

I know this has been discussed recently, but I can't seem to find the post --

Can someone post the link where you can search all the Hilton Properties? (not just one brand)

Thanks!
Old Feb 8, 2002, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Found it -

http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/hotels/s...h_cross.jhtml?

Sorry --
Old Feb 8, 2002, 9:54 am

Use of SEARCH quickly reveals:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/003445.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/003237.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/003080.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/002713.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/002603.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/002046.html

[This message has been edited by UpgradeMe (edited 02-08-2002).]
Old Feb 8, 2002, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your oh-so-generous response.

I find posts like yours extremely rude.

This is supposed to be a helpful forum, not one for attacks. I had already apologized for my error. I tried one search which did not produce the answer I was looking for. My second search did. I just wish posters like yourself could respond in a more helpful, not hurtful fashion. Noone on this site is stupid, and noone deserves to be treated that way.

Old Sep 14, 2003, 8:56 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
hey everyone...please use the search function!

It seems like there are more than usual repeat threads on topics that have been WELL TALKED ABOUT many times over - Hiltons in HI, breakfasts in the UK (one dear to my heart... - ) and the like... and especially news stories that get repeated , like the Hilton Millenium fire.

It's be great if folks could do a couple of things -

1) do a search - unless you are in a real emergency like you're at check in and you need the GM's name or someting.

2) If you do a search, and there's a topic like the one you want, feel free to add to it. Some of the best threads are ones where a lot of people contribute their experiences.

3) If you want to refer someone to a search I'd appreciate it if you could be polite (which people mostly are...)

All efforts are greatly appreciated.

Squeakr
MOD Hilton

edited cause I can't believe how ghastly my typing was

[This message has been edited by squeakr (edited Mar 15, 2004).]
Old Sep 14, 2003, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Thanks, Sqkr. I feel like a cad everytime I suggest that someone do a search. But the proliferation of threads on the same properties seems particularly high these days on this forum.
Old Sep 14, 2003, 9:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Problem is on this board and many others is that the information that comes up is old, not what I'm seeking etc.. so as it may seem like an identical post, if you read it closer it isn't identical or I'm looking for more recent and relevant information
Old Sep 14, 2003, 11:44 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Yes, but then you can say you DID a search & your question is still unanswered, hence the new thread.

I'm in the do a search first camp. It's annoying when people post something that's been answered (sometimes in great detail) because they're too lazy to do a search (even when I was new to FT it didn't take me long to figure out search).

------------------
Sharon
Old Sep 14, 2003, 11:56 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
TrojanHorse, why start a new thread, though? Why not add to an old one, stating you've read it, but would like to hear updated or additional information?

I think you're more likely to get a better response this way.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 12:01 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by squeakr:
It seems liekhtere are more than usual repeat threads on topics that have been WELL TALKED ABOUT many times over</font>
True, but I think there are external forces at work as well. Frankly, there have been very few hot threads, good or bad, in a while. No super bonuses (CNTU, INTU, etc.), and no big changes (point devaluation, etc.)

The forum has been noticeably less exciting than in the past, and that makes the boring repeat threads that much more "offensive".
Old Sep 15, 2003, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I find new threads get the better responses.. that is just my 2 cents worth so thats how I do it.. the old threads just go off topic that much faster IMHO especially if they are the larger threads. Even the posts that are nothing but search links are usually useless as they are old threads or irrelevant threads for what I"m seeking. I usually will have done a search prior to posting, but If I don't mention it, I guess some people get bent out of shape

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Rut Dog:
TrojanHorse, why start a new thread, though? Why not add to an old one, stating you've read it, but would like to hear updated or additional information?

I think you're more likely to get a better response this way.
</font>
Old Sep 15, 2003, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I tend to agree w/Trojan Horse. Face it, there has pretty much been a posting about almost every possible topic except future promos and program changes. No, we don't need 35 threads about "Breakfast in the UK" but if there hasn't been one in awhile, I don't find it to be too big of a deal.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 2:54 pm

OK, it's really not that big a deal, and I do think some people get overly worked up about it.

But since FT relies on the kindness of strangers, I may as well avoid irritating someone who might have the answer to my question by appearing too lazy or ignorant to do a search.

So when I want updated information on an old topic, I will first add to an old thread, quoting another poster if appropriate.

After bumping the thread once or twice, if I still don't get a response, then I'll start a new thread, always being sure to reference the old thread.

I also think that pulling up an old thread that was popular is a good "marketing" tactic, as it leverages the attention that the original thread received. I.E., it has a higher liklihood of being read and replied to.

That's my .02.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 5:46 pm

So, now that everyone's had there little bit of comment - and invariably came to the same conclusion that these type of threads always do (which is that people have different preferences), there's really no point in going on and on. These type of threads have existed since the begining of newsgroup life as we know it. And regardless of any responses whatsoever that squeker may get - he has already accomplished the goal that ALL of us probably want. By simply bringing up the subject he has probably ensured that dozens of new threads aren't created, and people will simply think twice before a new thread. For those that wish to start new threads - nothing the moderator is going to do is going to persuade you otherwise, so it's not like we need to debate that concept itself in another thread.

So, at this point, I'd say this thread has already accomplished it's goal of making people more aware of the search function (which is NEVER a bad thing).

Just my two cents.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 5:49 pm

There is absolutely no reason why someone cannot start a new thread based on a hotel property. Things change everyday and so does relevant information.

Also it is pretty nonsensical to keep adding onto an existing post, for instance that is more than 2weeks old because person may want to wade through 250 reponses and stale info to find the answer they want.

Dynamic information is what keeps bulletin boards alive not static info.

Maybe some of you old timers who don't appreciate newbies asking questions to answers that are already posted, should take a hiatus from the board.

Did it ever occur to some of you that ther are other people that may have recent experiences and want to share that info by contributing to the new post?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.