Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Merger mania:UAL/continental airtran/Midwest Air

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2006, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Merger mania:UAL/continental airtran/Midwest Air

wall street journal is reporting talks have been ongoing between ual and continental. airtran about to make offer for midwest. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1165..._whats_news_us

good news: if you have amex member miles and live in chicago.

probably bad for everyone else
Old Dec 12, 2006, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

add this to DL/US, and the market is going crazy!
Old Dec 12, 2006, 8:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UNITED 2K HILTON DIAMOND
AA is going to be forced to buy NW so you world perks folks are going to have to start flying 100k for top tier and your free ugs are gonna be gone.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by rwill11
AA is going to be forced to buy NW so you world perks folks are going to have to start flying 100k for top tier and your free ugs are gonna be gone.
You are not completely accurate. EXPs on AA its top tier (i.e those that have 100k eqms, 100 segments or 100k q points) get free upgrades domestically, so under your unlikely scenario, if NW and AA were to merge and if NW and AA were to use the AAdvantage program, unlimited free domestic upgrades would still exist for top tier, and top tier would also likely get the 8 EVIPs with the extensive NW route network and perhaps the best business class of an American legacy, this could be not such a bad thing, as I have speculated from time to time, so to paint as a horrible is in itself not accurate. Nonetheless, all of this is speculation and as noted unlikely in any event.

Last edited by GTITAN; Dec 12, 2006 at 8:45 pm
Old Dec 12, 2006, 8:45 pm
Suspended

oooops
Old Dec 12, 2006, 8:45 pm
Suspended

how exciting most nw flyers barely make 75k
Old Dec 12, 2006, 10:26 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
add this to DL/US, and the market is going crazy!
UA/CO and US/DL both have one foot in Star Alliance and one in Sky Team. Seems like some alliance rearranging will have to take place...
Old Dec 12, 2006, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by rwill11
how exciting most nw flyers barely make 75k
"Most" NW flyers, along with AA/UA/CO/DL/etc. don't make 25k a year. That's why the airlines usually have their lowest elite tier set at 25k/year.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
not sure how all these possible mergers would affect my world. I use AA but they seem ok for now... I use United and dont care who they merge with but I do use NW because they give us direct flights with awards normally available for exactly what we want, and when we travel overseas, we lilke the current options that they have witih partners DL and CO. If those two take off, then will this make NWA less available for us? Probably. Oh well, such is life. When you get something working, someone comes up and changes it on ya. That kind of mentality all started with Bill Gates. hahahaha.

MM
Old Dec 12, 2006, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by tjl
UA/CO and US/DL both have one foot in Star Alliance and one in Sky Team. Seems like some alliance rearranging will have to take place...
For immediate release: New Airline Alliance Announces New Name: SkyAlliance
Old Dec 13, 2006, 12:15 am

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
Originally Posted by tjl
My prediction for what will happen if you see AA/NW, CO/UA, and US/DL all merge is the following:

AA/NW retains the AA name and remains in oneWorld.

CO/UA retains the UA name or comes up with some hybrid (United Continental Airlines (UCA) doesn't sound that bad) and remains in STAR.

US/DL keeps the Delta name and stays in SkyTeam, meaning US exits Star.

There is no way that you could have two of these new "mega airlines" in any one alliance.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Maybe because Alaska is a partner of NW and AA the above would be true. But I think everyone will merge into one big slow botched carrier called AEROFLOT

...and it will have this huge multi-airline logo like the one from the movie, meet the parents!

HEHEHE MM
Old Dec 13, 2006, 1:00 am

Location: District of Columbia, Maryland- AA 2M Life Platinum, UA 1K, TK Gold, BA Silver, IC RA, Fairmont/Marriott Platinum, SPG/Hilton/Omni Gold, Wynn/Makers Mark Ambassador, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Chairmans, National Executive
Yeah these seem like highly unlikely mergers listed above. I think something like AS and NW would be more appropriate, NW feeds flights through SEA and PDX onto Alaska and they have elite benefits shared. Why not merge Northwest and Alaska and get Northwaska!
Old Dec 13, 2006, 3:32 am

How about Aeroflop and Alasworst? Sorry, can't resist.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 5:23 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by olimaspecto
My prediction for what will happen if you see AA/NW, CO/UA, and US/DL all merge is the following:

AA/NW retains the AA name and remains in oneWorld.

CO/UA retains the UA name or comes up with some hybrid (United Continental Airlines (UCA) doesn't sound that bad) and remains in STAR.

US/DL keeps the Delta name and stays in SkyTeam, meaning US exits Star.

There is no way that you could have two of these new "mega airlines" in any one alliance.
I doubt UA will hybrid their name to UCA ... however, their FF program may turn from MileagePlus to MileagePass

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.