Wiki Posts
Search

BMed folded

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2006, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
BMed folded

I don't know if this has been posted, but I have been told that BMed has been sold.

BMed never made a penny for its owners... They lost a small fortune.

Last edited by BA Loyal; Jan 7, 2007 at 12:51 am
Old Dec 14, 2006, 3:27 am

Programs: BA Silver
I am not surprised... I couldn't really see the point to them, as here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=627129

My perspective was asking the question as to why BA would franchise flights originating in the UK - if there's money to be made from them, why not keep them in the main BA stable? But now I know... in the main, there's no money to be made from them. Looks like I'll be flying a fair bit to Almaty next year - at the moment the BMed schedule for that route is a dog's breakfast - as a result flights were less than 1/4 full. Hopefully BA will retain the route, and bring back the passengers by flying at a more sensible time.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Any link? I see nothing on ba.com so far? If the 'routes have been sold back to BA' then I assume that includes slots at LHR too. If so, I imagine WW is jumping up and down with glee...bye, bye BMed routes, hello new frequencies to India and China!
Old Dec 14, 2006, 4:23 am
Original Poster

Was told to me by an insider. No official news yet.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by BA Loyal
Was told to me by an insider. No official news yet.
Yes, nothing on FT.com, Reuters, Google Finance....
Old Dec 14, 2006, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BA Loyal
I don't know if this has been posted, but I have been told that BMed has been folded.

The routes have been sold back to BA, who will ditch the unprofitable ones and keep the more lucrative slots.

BMed never made a penny for its owners... They lost a small fortune.
Some of the routes must have made a killing - they were packed in J - such as BEY, DAM, AMM...

It's the weird and wonderful routes, that someone must have been smoking something, when they thought these up.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 7:48 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Silver
I think they had some kind of deal with BP into Baku. I heard that BP committed to take a certain volume of seats, but am not sure of the yield.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 7:54 am

Programs: BA Blue. 19695 Lifetime TPs
Originally Posted by jamesmax
I am not surprised... I couldn't really see the point to them, as here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=627129

Looks like I'll be flying a fair bit to Almaty next year - at the moment the BMed schedule for that route is a dog's breakfast - as a result flights were less than 1/4 full. Hopefully BA will retain the route, and bring back the passengers by flying at a more sensible time.
Until 5 years ago it was flown by BA mainline direct from LGW with a three-class plane (F/CW/WT), but it was never exactly bursting at the seams then. Austrian gave up serving ALA several years ago (when they joined *alliance, as LH also serve it); wouldn't be surprised if BA pull out too.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 9:18 am

Angry

What utter RUBBISH!!!!

BA Loyal, please back up your playground rumour with some facts. Who told you this? Either they were winding you up as being gullible or they were the butt of the wind up themselves.

BMed has a number of strong investors waiting to inject finances into the company. Many of the problems that passengers experience with BMed is down to the poor servicing that BMed get from BA/BAA services. LHR is absolutely dire. Having to wait 2 hours to disembark a wheelchair passenger is downright disgusting. Recently most of my flights have been delayed out of LHR by at the very least 30 mins due to pushback, loaders or security issues. All of which have a direct impact on the passenger who associates the problem with BMed instead of BA or the other agency.

BMed routes were extremely profitable. If you wanted to go to many of the CIS destinations directly the main competition was the destinations own flag carrier. Up until recently, that would involve flying on a creaking Tupolov or other dated aircraft. Now though, the competition has upped the anti. Many have Airbus or Boeings and passengers have more choice. BMed are constantly evaluating routes and looking for elusive routes which offer high yield and capacity. Hence Tashkent was recently dropped with new services to Dakar and Freetown opened last month.

I would suggest that instead of passing idle banter, you spend your time more effectively by actually researching your post and backing it up with facts.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 9:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Welcome to FT BMad - it's not often we get ppruners joining us!

As to the rumour, I would imagine that many of us have been doing what I have been doing - keeping an eye out on a number of places one would expect to see such news appearing before putting too much faith in it. As yet, nothing to back it up or confirm it, and some very vehement denials - although they could be from one person also
Old Dec 15, 2006, 3:39 am

Google Finance has picked up both this FT thread and also another one on airliners.net, here:

http://www.airliners.net/discussions....main/3148974/

It looks like this story is totally without foundation, interesting to see if BA Loyal can back up his original post. I doubt it.

Last edited by jamesmax; Dec 15, 2006 at 4:38 am
Old Dec 15, 2006, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BMad
What utter RUBBISH!!!!

BMed has a number of strong investors waiting to inject finances into the company.

BMed routes were extremely profitable..

I would suggest that instead of passing idle banter, you spend your time more effectively by actually researching your post and backing it up with facts.

Wait and see. I think the investors became fed up with the continual injections of finance. The airline has never made a bean.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Not true. To March 2005 it made £4.6m operating profit on sales on £99.7m, albeit it down on March 2004 when it made £4.8m on £82.0m.

There was minimal bank debt at 3/05. £1m of loans by investors were turned into equity, but the cash was there to repay these loans if required.

However, it had entered into a contract with Airbus for $173m for 5 A321's. Historically, though, these commitments would be turned into 'sale and leasebacks' before the bill from Airbus turned in - this is what they did with the 2 A321's due for delivery this year.
Old Dec 16, 2006, 7:54 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by BMad
BMed routes were extremely profitable. If you wanted to go to many of the CIS destinations directly the main competition was the destinations own flag carrier. Up until recently, that would involve flying on a creaking Tupolov or other dated aircraft. Now though, the competition has upped the anti. Many have Airbus or Boeings and passengers have more choice. BMed are constantly evaluating routes and looking for elusive routes which offer high yield and capacity. Hence Tashkent was recently dropped with new services to Dakar and Freetown opened last month.
Creaking Tupolov's? Uzbekistan Airways last used an IL-62 on the LHR-TAS route in 1996 and have used a mix of A310's, 757's and 767's since.

Both BA and BMed have lost out by being significantly more expensive in J and Y throughout the year. HY also satisfy some by offering F on certain days. They also lost out by not offering a non-stop service.

I really can't think of any other CIS airline that flew direct services to LHR/LGW with non-Western aircraft in the last 10 years.
Old Dec 16, 2006, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by baggageinhall
Creaking Tupolov's? Uzbekistan Airways last used an IL-62 on the LHR-TAS route in 1996 and have used a mix of A310's, 757's and 767's since.

Both BA and BMed have lost out by being significantly more expensive in J and Y throughout the year. HY also satisfy some by offering F on certain days. They also lost out by not offering a non-stop service.

I really can't think of any other CIS airline that flew direct services to LHR/LGW with non-Western aircraft in the last 10 years.
There's Pulkovo Aviation's TU154s and Air Moldova's TU134s for a start... can't think of any others at the moment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.