LGW Arrivals Lounge

Old Dec 14, 2006, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: DM/3MM
LGW Arrivals Lounge

Have done a search, but have not found anything conclusive.

DL's site lists the Arrivals Lounge in the Sofitel as a CRC "location". Does anyone know if this is accurate, e.g. can CRC members use this lounge on arrival? Does this specific facility have showers? If it does have showers, what type of supplies does it have, e.g. soap, shampoo, etc.?

I'm also ElitePlus if that makes any difference, and I will likely be traveling in Y. Any information would be appreciated. I called DL, but I don't think the rep was 100% convinced of access to the facility, amenities, etc. Thanks.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 7:41 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler

DL's site lists the Arrivals Lounge in the Sofitel as a CRC "location". Does anyone know if this is accurate, e.g. can CRC members use this lounge on arrival? Does this specific facility have showers? If it does have showers, what type of supplies does it have, e.g. soap, shampoo, etc.?

I'm also ElitePlus if that makes any difference, and I will likely be traveling in Y. Any information would be appreciated. I called DL, but I don't think the rep was 100% convinced of access to the facility, amenities, etc. Thanks.
I can only answer part of your question - I've used the Sofitel facility on arrival at LGW as a BE passenger though. Yes, there are shower facilities (with soap, shampoo, etc.) and also a lounge area with reading material and some breakfast items. It's located on the 2nd or 3rd floor and is basically converted from 2 or 3 hotel rooms.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 8:13 am

Programs: Delta SKYMILES SM 1MM, BRITISH AIRWAYS GOLD, HHONOURS DIAMOND, PRIORITY PASS
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler

Last time I used it, itr was in the Hilton hotel. Think you have to be BE to use,
Old Dec 14, 2006, 8:44 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by IRISHFLYER1
Last time I used it, itr was in the Hilton hotel. Think you have to be BE to use,
I used it in March and it was in the Sofitel, and was exactly as ClipperDelta described. But I was in BE; I don't know if you can use it if you're in Y, even as ElitePlus. On my flight, all the BE pax were given passes to use the fasttrack lines for passport control and a card inviting us to use the Sofitel lounge. When I arrived, they asked to see my boarding pass. I had a long connection and hung out in the lounge for about an hour and everyone I noticed entering was asked for their boarding pass; wasn't close enough to the desk to see if anyone just showed their Elite card.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 9:37 am

I recall it being in the hotel located in North Terminal. When I first used the facility in the 90s it was the Forte Crest Gatwick Hotel, later it became a Le Meridien, and is now a Sofitel. The Hilton is in South Terminal.

Last time I used it two years ago, I overheard the lounge agent tell the person ahead of me that he was allowed to access the lounge because he was a DL PM. I would presume he was traveling on a Y ticket.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by ShopAround
On my flight, all the BE pax were given passes to use the fasttrack lines for passport control and a card inviting us to use the Sofitel lounge.
That's a change. When I've flown to LGW you had to ask the FA for fasttrack passes and occasionally they didn't have any.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 10:17 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
I have used it several times, most recently in August. As a PM (ST Elite +) on a Y ticket, I was welcomed in. It is on the 2nd floor of the Soffitel (formerly Le Meridian) and as ClipperDelta described, it is sort of a suite of hotel rooms attached together.

I should also note that the host/attendant that has been there every time I have used it is exceptionally gracious and hospitable. When I once had a lost baggage issue and needed to contact AmEx to make a claim, she called around to find the AmEx number for me. By the time we got that taken care of, I had to run, literally, so I could get to the GEX and then to Euston in time for my train. While I hurriedly used the facilities, she packed me a little breakfast to go. When I came back a few months later, she remembered me and asked if I had made my train. (I had). ^ ^
Old Dec 14, 2006, 12:33 pm

Programs: Delta SKYMILES SM 1MM, BRITISH AIRWAYS GOLD, HHONOURS DIAMOND, PRIORITY PASS
Originally Posted by IRISHFLYER1

My mistake it was Le Meridian, the hilton is at the other Terminal
Old Dec 14, 2006, 1:20 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ecaarch
I have used it several times, most recently in August. As a PM (ST Elite +) on a Y ticket, I was welcomed in. It is on the 2nd floor of the Soffitel (formerly Le Meridian) and as ClipperDelta described, it is sort of a suite of hotel rooms attached together.

I should also note that the host/attendant that has been there every time I have used it is exceptionally gracious and hospitable....
I totally concur. It's a walk from the baggage carousel, but there are signs and free carts. Just follow them (the signs).
My only gripe is that they close at 1pm. If your flight lands late you are out of luck.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 9:43 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Prfrence
You Can Definitely Use This Lounge on a Y Ticket

if you are a PM or a SkyTeam Elite+.

I was last there on March 17. The manager's name is Christine. She is an extremely nice lady.

The showers have very good water pressure and are cleaned after every use. It is a very good situation to have a shower, change of clothes, tea and a croissant, and get ready to enjoy your day in the UK.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DM/3MM
Thanks everyone. Glad showers are available when necessary. Will have to get used to LGW now that my UA JFK-LHR is gone. Always thought that LGW was not a great airport (based on ignorance...have never set foot in it), but seems just as good as LHR, has a high speed link, etc. And won't miss the chaos of LHR T3.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 1:29 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
I've flown into LGW on DL and LHR on KL, AF & AA. I get totally confused as to which terminal is which at LHR but they have all been equally chaotic to me. LGW is a piece of cake, especially the north terminal that DL uses.

LGW will grow on you. It will be different, but that can be good. Given a choice, I'd pick LGW over LHR any day. The best part is that once you get thru immigration and baggage claim/customs, you can sit down on the train for a relaxing 30 min ride to Victoria without worrying if you will miss your stop.

If you fly the route with any regularity, you should know that the check-in and gate agents are mostly contract employees from ServiceAir. For those times when you need a real DL employee, look to the left of the check-in desk for the separate DL counter. The staff there are generally very helpful.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.