Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

UA thinking of eliminating ff miles on cheap tickets

Old Dec 14, 2006, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Along with other perks, like free checked baggage.

This would certainly be a very negative development for most flyertalkers.

http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_4826081
Old Dec 14, 2006, 8:29 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Unbundled pricing is long overdue in the airline industry. Why should the passenger who does not accumulate miles subsidize those who do? Why should a middle seat sell for the same price as an aisle or a window?
Old Dec 14, 2006, 8:36 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Originally Posted by mia
Why should the passenger who does not accumulate miles subsidize those who do?
Um...I accumulate miles and generally fly on the cheapest tickets. It's funny I've just switched from AA to UA for most of my flying. If they institute this I'll be switching again. Why would it be fair to penalize those who buy cheap tickets because most of their travel is leisure and can be planned far in advance (or can be done on short notice when a sudden sale appears)?
Old Dec 14, 2006, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by dcstudent
Um...I accumulate miles and generally fly on the cheapest tickets. It's funny I've just switched from AA to UA for most of my flying. If they institute this I'll be switching again. Why would it be fair to penalize those who buy cheap tickets because most of their travel is leisure and can be planned far in advance (or can be done on short notice when a sudden sale appears)?

You can be sure that if one airline adopts this policy most others will too.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 8:46 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Um...I accumulate miles and generally fly on the cheapest tickets. Why would it be fair to penalize those who buy cheap tickets because most of their travel is leisure and can be planned far in advance (or can be done on short notice when a sudden sale appears)?
Did you read the article? You will still be able to earn miles on the lowest fares, but you will pay for them. Everyone pays for them now, they are bundled into the price of the ticket. The proposed system would break out the non-essential elements of the ticket and price them separately.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 8:48 am

Programs: AA 0.4MM, BA G, LH SEN,TK S, HH Dia, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold, Marriott Silver
You'll be sure that if the airline applying this is losing customers and others are getting them, they won't follow. Anyway airlines have a lot of power on FFP, they can restrict award availability even more or they can ask for more miles per award. doesn't make sense not to give miles.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 8:51 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
US airlines going to a British Airways type model wouldn't surprise me. Killing the frequent flyer programs, however, would be a Halloween nightmare scare.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 8:51 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
AC is the innovator in the world of de-bundling. Robert Milton has been on this kick for several years now. The lowest fare (called Tango) has not earned status miles for several years now (but you still earn miles flown).
--
13F
Old Dec 14, 2006, 8:53 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Originally Posted by mia
Did you read the article? You will still be able to earn miles on the lowest fares, but you will pay for them. Everyone pays for them now, they are bundled into the price of the ticket. The proposed system would break out the non-essential elements of the ticket and price them separately.
Yes, but I bet the tickets won't get any cheaper. I'll just pay my usual fare + the ff charge and any luggage charge. I can't see UA going well since we're no longer allowing checked bags or ff points on that fare we'll lower it, and then once you add the new fees it'll be right back where it was.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 8:53 am

Programs: AA 0.4MM, BA G, LH SEN,TK S, HH Dia, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold, Marriott Silver

Last edited by MACH81; Dec 14, 2006 at 8:59 am Reason: double post.ffox going crazy!
Old Dec 14, 2006, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Southwest, AirTran, and JetBlue will thank them if they do this.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 9:09 am

How far could this be taken? Would the FA's have to check your ticket before you used the lav to make sure your ticket covers that "extra"? And what would be the price difference between the coach lav and the first class lav?

I don't like this idea.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 9:11 am

Yes, but I bet the tickets won't get any cheaper. I'll just pay my usual fare + the ff charge and any luggage charge. I can't see UA going well since we're no longer allowing checked bags or ff points on that fare we'll lower it, and then once you add the new fees it'll be right back where it was.
I agree with this. I don't think I've ever seen a price get lowered in any industry wheninstituting something like this. It is just an excuse to charge more money to some people under the pretense of being "fair". I would be VERY surprised if they lowered the price of any ticket.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 9:15 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Flights on some other Star Alliance carriers' flights credited to UA's program already earn fractional mileage (if any) on some tickets operated by those Star Alliance carriers (such as LH, SK, etc.)
Old Dec 14, 2006, 9:47 am
Suspended

UA can do what they want. They treat domestic elites so poorly that I won't fly them. I have no idea why a FF would bother with them. I know many say it is for certain routes, but connecting, especially when you're not dealing with ORD, is really not that bad.

"AC is the innovator in the world of de-bundling. Robert Milton has been on this kick for several years now. The lowest fare (called Tango) has not earned status miles for several years now (but you still earn miles flown)."

AC may be the leader, but they really are in a monopoly position. UA doesn't have such a luxury. The airline is already getting by on its legacy international routes. I don't think they would want to push their frequent travellers onto NW or CO more than they have already done. Domestic companies are more often allowing only the cheapest tickets so it isn't as if companies will want to pay more for employees so they can accrue miles.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.