Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Did I become victim of attempted I.D. theft or overboarding AX/DL marketing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2006, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Got a call 2 days ago from AX confirming my application for the DL Skymiles cc. I never applied for this card, but agent stated it was a written, signed application they received fom me. Sensing potential fraud I asked more details about the application and if they could send me a copy, so I could investigate this. The agent refused to give any addl. details, just stating that they cxld the application.

Talk to a supervisor netted same result, with suggestion to call credit reporting agencies to put my name on "alert". Later in the day I got an e-mail referring to the same and asking me to call back to complete application.

Now, I am concerend if somebody really got all my personal data and is trying to abuse it. Or, did AX marketing just "create" this trying me to sign up for the DL AX card.

Naturally I want to view a copy of this application to take further steps and prevent any possible damage in the future.

How can I go about to shed more light on this?
Old Dec 14, 2006, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

not showing you the thing doesnt make any sense to me..

i would go ahead and do an alert. just takes calling one of the agencies, and theyll contact the others.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 1:15 pm

Make sure that you don't talk with the people that call you. Always call the number on the back of your card and ask to speak with the security/fraud department. You never can trust the people that call you.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 1:24 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
just takes calling one of the agencies, and theyll contact the others.
Are you sure about that (the Secret Service web site doesn't recommend this approach)? I flagged my credit reports with all 3 providers about 2 years back, and had to call each individually and go through the automated process to flag my reports (all computerized..you never talk to a person).

List of who you need to call and steps a victim should take:

http://www.secretservice.gov/financial_crimes.shtml

Equifax Credit Information Services - Consumer Fraud Div.
P.O. Box 105496
Atlanta, Georgia 30348-5496
Tel: (800) 997-2493
www.equifax.com

Experian
P.O. Box 2104
Allen, Texas 75013-2104
Tel: (888) EXPERIAN (397-3742)
www.experian.com

Trans Union Fraud Victim Assistance Dept.
P.O. Box 390
Springfield, PA 19064-0390
Tel: (800) 680-7289
www.transunion.com
Old Dec 14, 2006, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by TJtv
Make sure that you don't talk with the people that call you. Always call the number on the back of your card and ask to speak with the security/fraud department. You never can trust the people that call you.
This is very true. Did you give them any information at all? Did they read you your information to confirm it or ask you to give it to them so they could confirm it? I would call DL AX and speak to them about whether they called you or not, they will have a record of it. If they do not then I'd look into reporting this.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton, Marriott
I'd be suspicious

While I know banks go to great lengths to solicit credit card applications, this sounds over the top to me. I'm guessing that an identity thief was trying to pry (phish) information from you, like your social security number, yearly income, address and phone number, etc. You are smart to be suspicious. I would recommend placing "fraud alerts" on your file at all three credit reporting agencies, as listed above.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 2:55 pm

It is generally a bad idea to place fraud alerts on your credit reports unless you are absolutely certain that you are having continued actions of fraud against you. The reasons why are outside the relavence of this forum but you can find more info by searching at www.creditboards.com
Old Dec 14, 2006, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks all for your replies. Beside the phone call I also got an e-mail, stating ref #, number to call and a website to check on the status of the application. I opened the link and it asks for your SS # and your home ZIP code. Could even that be a fraudulent link?

I am just do not understand why AX does not want to provide details/send a copy of the supposed application ???
Old Dec 14, 2006, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Amex can be obtuse and strange--oh wait, so can any bank or big corp!

Anyway, I once called them and they told me about a problem with some old account they had on file. They would NOT give me its info and I tried to tell the CSR that I HAD everything but it was in a box in the basement with spider webs on it so please let me have MY OWN FILES but he would not. I felt like in high school when the guidance counselor has files on YOU but you cannot see them!!

STUPID!

It's my freakin’ account, dude!

Anyway, he said if I had the account number he would tell me more, but still, so stupid! aghrgrhrgh!!

Similarly, this is about YOU and especially crucial seeing as how it COULD have to do with someone doing something with your credit without your knowledge.

…because they STILL wont help you determine if that is in fact the case, I say F**K ‘em hard!

Yup, trash Amex by reporting THEM as the fraudulent entity who is standing in the way of YOUR own security by LETTING this take place!

Find out who one would report such a thing to and write them enough angry letters repeating the problem and CCing every relevant agency and entity you can think of, including ALL THREE credit bureaus and make 'em solve it, disclose to you exactly what it is, and reprimand all those involved with holding you back.

They all inform us every single freakin’ day that everything is in place for "our own security" but that's crap. It is actually for THEIR protection, and this is purely proof of that fallacy!!

If you stick with this who knows you may help initiate a much needed change. I think the entire system of credit and the doings of the 3 major agencies listed above has many problems with it. Those agencies make blunders and they still act like stone faced power mongers. I have had to report things to the FTC and I will keep doing this. Of course that often falls on deaf ears but it's certainly better than sitting around wondering.

Maybe AMEX IS doing some marketing scheme trickery on you. If so, hey, good trick but that cant be legal! Totally report ‘em dude... Do it now cuz if you don’t, you'll be one year older when you do!

Also, I actually think Citi’s Identity Monitor service IS a good thing. YOu get scores and all three reports, with many services and alerts that help you deal with and learn all about credit. It’s free for the first month and can be billed directly to your card for $10 a month and canceled/totally refunded at any time. I actually KEEP the service and I use it to check my credit and have fixed many such errors on my own reports. It’s a pain and a long process that takes a few cycles of reports to get it done, but you need to do this and now would be a good time for you to find out what you have—or what THEY think you have! (I had a loan I closed and have the closed letter but all 3 agencies reported it still open and being paid! THAT was bad, but I had it fixed.)

Good luck and don’t NOT do this or we all lose!

MM

Citi’s ID monitor can be contacted at: 800 950 5114
Old Dec 14, 2006, 6:23 pm

Location: Midwest United States (and anywhere a cheap fare takes me)
Programs: Marriott (Gold), Hilton (Gold), SWA (CP), Hertz (5*), UA (Nobody), AA (Lifetime Gold)
Be Afraid...

very afraid. Although it seems unusually well put together, this has all the earmarks of a phish. Anyone asking you for information (like SS#) that they should already have (from a credit application) is a danger sign. I work for a bank and can tell you that I have seen some "websites" that I couldn't tell from my own institution.

I would recommend calling Amex's security department.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 6:38 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by tom911
Are you sure about that (the Secret Service web site doesn't recommend this approach)? I flagged my credit reports with all 3 providers about 2 years back, and had to call each individually and go through the automated process to flag my reports (all computerized..you never talk to a person).
These days I think all you need to do is call just one Bureau.
A couple of months back, my neighbour has his personal info stolen. I gave em
the numbers for all three bureaus to call, but when he called the first one, they
told em they'll notify rest of them. I guess this is new.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i called experian. the automated thing said it would alert the others. i talked to a rep, he said the same thing. i then got written confirmations in the mail from all 3.

you can check the links in the emails to see if they are valid or phishing attempts.

but actually, yeah the call could have been bogus. my caller id shows 000-000-0000 for amex, but you can spoof callerid with a pbx for example. you need automatic number identification (ANI) iirc to be spoof-proof.

(if email was valid then call most likely was)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 15, 2006 at 1:49 am
Old Dec 15, 2006, 5:31 am

Programs: SPG gold; otherwise just base in everything so far, but learning!
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Thanks all for your replies. Beside the phone call I also got an e-mail, stating ref #, number to call and a website to check on the status of the application. I opened the link and it asks for your SS # and your home ZIP code. Could even that be a fraudulent link?

I am just do not understand why AX does not want to provide details/send a copy of the supposed application ???
Call AMEX immediately, as this is highly suspicious. You should never get any e-mail from any institutions asking you to "confirm" your information.

fuzz
Old Dec 15, 2006, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
damn, I got a paypal one recently that looked sooooo real i sent it to [email protected] and yelled at THEM because I think they need more control over what is out there... Even though its not their fault, I figure if the companies get flack, they will act.

as for this one, something tells me someone in FT is the scammer who is trying to do ya, and they happen to know what makes you tick--ie, they know you like delta miles maybe!

i dunno

good luck, but act now and demand answers
MM
Old Dec 15, 2006, 8:07 am

I would guess no such application exists, and the people calling you are the scammers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.