Flying with crutches?

Old Dec 15, 2006, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS
Flying with crutches?

Do to an unfortunate and somewhat embarrassing event last weekend I am confined to crutches for at least three weeks. This is the first time that I have ever had to fly with crutches and I'm wondering whats the deal? Will security give me any trouble? I assume this means no exit rows ? Anything I should be know?
Old Dec 15, 2006, 10:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
No probelms w/ security, except if you have a cast it might get an additional screening. Also, on the plus side the crutches DO NOT count as your carry on.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 10:33 am

I asked the same thing a few weeks ago.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=624813

To make this somewhat UA relevant, I must say I can't imagine travelling with a boot on my foot in regular Y. E+ was a godsend.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 10:34 am
cpx

Programs: Many
Unfortunately you arecorrect.. no exit row, but make sure you let the
airline know ahead of time. they may aven give you a bulkhead seat.

Generaly its not a big issue. You should be able to travel with your crutches.
And if you like, request a wheel chair. It will breeze you through the security
and if applicable.. Immigration and customs.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 10:38 am

Programs: Does it matter any more?
From past experience with a family member, we always requested wheel chair assistance at the airport (SFO, JFK, BOS). It helped a great deal esp with security. I accompanied the family member till the gate with a gate pass from United obtained when checking-in.

on board, they typically gave her a bulkhead seat. never an exit (obviously). she always boarded first (this was before sfo instituted the red carpet etc.). one fa usually accompanied her on board and helped stow the crutches in the FC cabin (usually the coat cabinet).

this was ua about 12-16 months ago. i dont' know how things have changed since then.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 11:02 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Yeah I have seen this happen.... they do reserve a seat for disabled passengers so if you call up and tell them you'll need that seat they can put you in it. For example on the A319/320 I see they now block 6D/E for this purpose.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did this last year on a 320 to SJC and a 757 from OAK. I was in F.

Threw them in the closet and FAs were generally pretty helpful. I was good at the "hop" although it did shake the plane a bit.

Word of advice: empty your bladder as much as possible before takeoff to avoid having to get up during the flight.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K/MM, VA Gold, DL Gold
I've found that flying with crutches is very difficult. Either I can't flap them quickly enough, or the aerodynamics aren't suited to flying.

I'd recommend using your crutches to get to a comfortable seat on UA
Old Dec 15, 2006, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS
Great! Thanks for the info and advice, I'll take it to heart. Hopefully I'll get 6D/6E tomorrow, its better than my current craptacular seat.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 11:14 pm

Programs: nada these days
Definitely go for wheelchair assistance at the airport! Crutches + baggage = DISASTER. Take whatever you can get! Good luck!

(Did you sprain your ankle while trying to walk in four-inch heels after a few drinks? Because that's what I did last night! Don't feel stupid!)
Old Dec 15, 2006, 11:54 pm

Programs: UA 1P /Starwood Gold/Hyatt Plat/UA RCC
Hope you get well soon. I had knee surgery last year and those things become a pain. I never travelled with them. I cant imagine walking a long crowded terminal with them. I would go with the wheelchair. I hear IAD is very bad for getting chairs to the plane on a timely basis. The last flight I was on we waited over 30 minutes for a wheelchair person to be deplanned.

Good luck
Old Dec 16, 2006, 1:04 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

I am going to move this to the Disability Travel forum where others - not only the UA folks - can contribute. Thanks for your understanding.

iluv2fly
moderator, UA
Old Dec 16, 2006, 7:02 am

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by carl92103
......I would go with the wheelchair. I hear IAD is very bad for getting chairs to the plane on a timely basis. The last flight I was on we waited over 30 minutes for a wheelchair person to be deplanned.

Good luck
I have had to wait at other airports as well. I didn't notice IAD being worse than others.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.