Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ticket price drops by over $150 after booking. Any recourse?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2006, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Premier
When an airfare goes down

Here's the situation. I purchased a ticket from AA.com on 10/25 evening. The airfare for the exact same flights has now dropped (by $25). I have been on hold for 15 minutes with AA requesting the change in the lower fare but they don't seem to know what to do.

I thought that I read somewhere that if a lower fare is being shown for identical flights, passengers can ask for the lower fare adjustment.

Anyone else have this situation?
Old Oct 28, 2006, 1:08 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by hotelsales
Here's the situation. I purchased a ticket from AA.com on 10/25 evening. The airfare for the exact same flights has now dropped (by $25).
If it's a domestic ticket, you hafta pay the change fee. The change fee varies by route. In most cases, the change fee exceeds the cost savings from the decrease in fare.

If it's an international ticket, they don't charge a change fee.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 1:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
On a nonrestricted ticket, it should be relatively straightforward. On a restricted domestic ticket, it might make no sense to try for a $25 reduction with a $100 change fee (though AA might go for it!)
Old Oct 28, 2006, 3:11 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Originally Posted by JDiver
On a nonrestricted ticket, it should be relatively straightforward. On a restricted domestic ticket, it might make no sense to try for a $25 reduction with a $100 change fee (though AA might go for it!)
Which means in terms of your ticket.. your cost just went UP $75!

Some change fees on domestic tickets are $50 to $100 so YYMV.

Also if this is caused by a Fuel Surcharge change .. AA should do it without penalty . the the surcharges of late have been pretty consistant...
Old Oct 28, 2006, 3:34 pm

I'm in a similar situation. (by $70)

Here's the situation. I purchased a ticket from AA.com on 10/25 evening. The airfare for the exact same flights has now dropped (by $25). I have been on hold for 15 minutes with AA requesting the change in the lower fare but they don't seem to know what to do.

I thought that I read somewhere that if a lower fare is being shown for identical flights, passengers can ask for the lower fare adjustment.

Old Oct 28, 2006, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Look at the bright side - you only lose $30 and the first guy loses $75 so you made $45 just sitting at your computer. Ticket prices vary, it's a fact of life, learn to live with it.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
If it's an international ticket, they don't charge a change fee.
I have had different experience. I have eaten a ~100 change fee on an international ticket to save several hundred dollars. I've never seen them waive the change fee on a non-refundable international ticket, and Ive made quite a few changes over the years.

Maybe Ive been doing something wrong? Have you changed international non refundable tickets with no change fee?
Old Oct 28, 2006, 6:32 pm

Programs: divident miles
i believe wednsday after midnight
Old Oct 28, 2006, 6:43 pm

Programs: AAEXPLAT, HHonors Silver, Skymiles, Dividend Miles
Sorry but in Airlines Business That's Life!

I've seen this from SJU to MCO one week 278.00 next week 178.00, called the airline and that's it NO REFUND
Old Oct 28, 2006, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA plat CO gold
No way they will adjust for you. Airfare is bidding game now.

Old Oct 29, 2006, 1:19 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by muddy
I have had different experience. I have eaten a ~100 change fee on an international ticket to save several hundred dollars. I've never seen them waive the change fee on a non-refundable international ticket, and Ive made quite a few changes over the years.

Maybe Ive been doing something wrong? Have you changed international non refundable tickets with no change fee?
AA routinely allows free "rollovers" on international tickets. If the price goes down, call 'em up, reprice it, and you get a refund back to the original form of payment (i.e. back to your credit card).

I don't know if this works on every possible kind of international ticket, but it certainly works on the kind of tickets (seriously deep discount) I normally buy. If the price goes down on the same exact flights as the ticket you're holding, call 'em and tell 'em you want to "reprice" the ticket (or you can get fancy and say you want a "fare rollover").
Old Oct 29, 2006, 4:56 am

AA routinely allows free "rollovers" on international tickets. If the price goes down, call 'em up, reprice it, and you get a refund back to the original form of payment (i.e. back to your credit card).

I don't know if this works on every possible kind of international ticket, but it certainly works on the kind of tickets (seriously deep discount) I normally buy. If the price goes down on the same exact flights as the ticket you're holding, call 'em and tell 'em you want to "reprice" the ticket (or you can get fancy and say you want a "fare rollover").
Wow! Now that's good info. I'll know what to ask for next time. Thanks!
Old Oct 29, 2006, 6:41 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Keep in mind unless you are are part time McDonalds fry cook there is a value to the time spent to recover piddling amounts of differences, and it is easier just to buy your ticket and then stop obsessing about how much it costs later.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 9:23 am

I can say for a fact that it works on L class tickets. Purchased five for a family trip to JPN and got back around 200-250 USD per ticket!

Last edited by aa4ever; Oct 29, 2006 at 8:04 pm Reason: myfrogger pointed out my error
Old Oct 29, 2006, 10:28 am

Programs: AA plat CO gold
Are you serious? I will call them for "rollover" my Xmas tickets. I am out of $300 for 4 tickets now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.