Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Phoenician, Scottsdale/Phoenix [Master Thread]

Old Jan 2, 2008, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott

Very nice stay for 2 nights over New Year's, but the Phoenician does still have some idiosyncracies. - 1) No coffee maker in the room. You can have one delivered to your room - $25 for the entire stay, no matter how long. It costs about $20 to order a pot of coffee through room service. Complimentary coffee is available in the alcove just outside the Terrace Restaurant. Also, there is a small Starbuck's-like coffee shop in the area with the Phoenician stores that also has pastry and sandwiches.

Ice machines theoretically not accessible to the guests. If you want ice, you have to call housekeeping, and, I assume, tip whoever brings it to you. Interestingly, the ice machine was in a room just across the hall from ours and the door was left open throughout the day. It was no problem to walk in and take the ice.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 8:33 am

Programs: HiltonHHonors Silver; SPG Gold; Midwest Airlines
Cannot wait to go back.

We were also just there for a 2-night stay over NY and I have to see we LOVED it. I have to say I was concerned that it would just be "okay" because of some reviews I read here.

We booked a Superior room with points and were upgraded to a Grand Deluxe in the Casitas. We were very close to the pools, but still very secluded with a “creek” and waterfall just outside our room. We never heard a peep from anyone/thing outside our room.

Call me crazy, but this reminded us in some was of the Bora Bora Nui – mostly because of the marble bathroom with the large shower and separate toilet and bidet. Also because of the friendliness of the staff. I cannot recall ever staying in an American hotel/resort where every single staff member wished you well as they passed by you. They all seem to genuinely like working there and were on top of things before we could even ask for it… except the concierge, who had emailed me before our stay to see if there were any special requests we had, etc. I emailed back with some information and never received a response. I don’t know why she bothered emailing in the first place. (Also, when I called the hotel before our trip, the concierge said you cannot use the spa unless you have a service... that is not true. There is a fee of course, but her information was very wrong.)

On another note, I had become frustrated with our inability to make plans for NYE. After months of asking about NYE events I was told I had to wait until after Dec 1. Then when I contacted them I spent days waiting for the information the concierge had promised. Once I finally received the information (3rd request in over a week), what we had wanted to do was booked. I had made mention of this and the morning of Dec 31 they called our room to say they had availability for us. Unfortunately, I had gotten very ill the night before and knew there was no way a party would be enjoyable, so we declined.

The beds were incredibly comfortable. If ever there was a hotel to be sick, this was it! So cozy!

I cannot beleieve the Pheonician and Key Largo are the same redemption level -- there was no comparison.

Last edited by kelleek; Jan 3, 2008 at 8:43 am
Old Jan 4, 2008, 11:00 am

That is a very positive review.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 1:11 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Has Mary Elaine's closed? I see no reference to it on the website. Any other nearby restaurants we should be considering. We will have a car, so transportation isn't an issue.

Also, everyone here seems to think the Casitas are preferable to the main building. If you aren't upgraded to a suite, what is the benefit of the casitas verses the main building? The casitas standard rooms are 530 square feet, while the main building standard rooms are 600 square feet.

Last edited by prncess674; Mar 30, 2008 at 2:31 pm
Old Mar 31, 2008, 1:57 pm

Programs: US Chairmans, AA Lifetime Gold, SPG Platinum
Unfortunately, Mary Elaine's is closing in the immediate future. I believe they said April 5th will be the last dinnner service.

According to staff, the room will be reopened as a Jean Georges steakhouse, similar to Prime at Bellagio. This is not likely to be an improvement in my opinion, and they are sure to lose a good number of the (phenomenal) service staff in the process.

With regards to the casitas, I think most people like them since most of the rooms there DO seem to be suites and they are quite large. You can also self park you vehicle directly in front of your casita if that is appealing to you. Interestingly, I have never stayed in the main building, only the Canyon building or the casitas. The drawback of being in these locations is that you have to walk outside to get to the main building, which is not much fun when it is 115 degrees out but quite a pleasure during the cooler months of the year.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by prncess674
Has Mary Elaine's closed? I see no reference to it on the website. Any other nearby restaurants we should be considering. We will have a car, so transportation isn't an issue.

Also, everyone here seems to think the Casitas are preferable to the main building. If you aren't upgraded to a suite, what is the benefit of the casitas verses the main building? The casitas standard rooms are 530 square feet, while the main building standard rooms are 600 square feet.
You should definitely consider T. Cook's at the Royal Palms. Less than a 5 minute drive from the Phoenician. We had an excellent meal there. It was recommended by the maitre d' at Windows on the Green.

http://www.royalpalmshotel.com/phoen...ona-dining.php
Old Apr 4, 2008, 7:48 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

My opinions so far of the hotel are mixed. We checked in around 9:30pm last night. The said we were upgraded to a main lobby back building "city view" room on the 6th floor. I pressed a bit about a suite, but none was forthcoming. I was told they were completely sold out for the evening. She did offer to move us today to a casitas pool view room.

The city view room is pretty mediocre in my opinion. We over look another building and the view is mediocre. This morning I woke up early to watch the sunrise from bed and opened the drapes and sliding glass door. Apparently our neighbor did too, and he decided to smoke on the balcony. The smoke wafted through our door which finally meant I had to shut the door.

The balcony area is standard size but it only has one chair and chaise, which makes it pretty much impossible for two people to sit out and enjoy a coffee or a drink together.

The bathroom is huge and includes full size bath amenities.

We were left a full bottle of Vueve Cliquot yellow label on ice and 6 chocolate covered strawberries as a welcome gift. I thought this was a nice touch.

Our new room is supposed to be ready this afternoon and they said to just leave the bags packed and bell services would move them for us when our new room is ready.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 8:21 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

We moved to a casitas pool view room on Friday. The room itself was no better than the main building but the location is perfect. Having self parking right outside the door is fabulous. The balcony was larger and overlooked the lush garden and pool area.

Even though we didn't get upgraded to a suite I would take a pool view casita room rather than a large suite with no view in the main building.

The golf course was nice and we spent an afternoon at the driving range. I took lessons on Friday morning and Mike Lamanna was my instructor. He was extremely patient and a very good teacher for a beginner.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 9:13 am

Programs: US,HH
Mary Elaine's closed last night and will be re-opening as a steak house.
The wonderful brunch is also changing and will now be served as table service rather than buffet.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by kellio33
The wonderful brunch is also changing and will now be served as table service rather than buffet.
Are you talking about the Sunday morning brunch? Where did you hear that? I go to the brunch once or twice a year and it's the best brunch I've ever been to. I noticed this last time that the prices went up like $5-10 per person (I think it's about $65 per person now). But I liked it just fine the way it was, I wonder why they changed it. I did notice that they moved the food around when I was there about a month ago to make more room for tables. Maybe the brunch was getting so popular that they need the room where all the buffet food is for even MORE tables. Now I can't be as much of a pig as I was before if I've got a waiter bringing me all the food.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 11:50 am

Programs: US,HH
Copied from the AZ Republic. I agree, my favorite brunch in town. Nothing better than being out on the patio on a spring day, sipping champagne.

In addition to the new J&G Steakhouse that will replace Mary Elaine's, the Terrace will become Il Terrazzo, a restaurant showcasing charms from each of Italy's regions. Sunday brunch will change, too, going from that big, beloved buffet to a plated-style service.
Old May 2, 2008, 10:28 am

Programs: Various Programs of Interest & LT Collector.
Checked in last night.

No real upgrade to speak of. 3 pieces of fruit in the room and one water.

When inquiring about a room upgrade they indicated the room assigned was a two room upgrade - huh? was my reply. I may check again this morning.

Boy I miss hotels with club floors, nice room amenities, or breakfast vouchers. With two little kids these make a world of difference. Oh well - live and learn. Next stay in Phoenix with the family will be back at Gainey Ranch or the new Intercontinental opening later in the summer.
Old May 2, 2008, 11:10 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TravelGuy1965
. . . the new Intercontinental opening later in the summer.
Where's that going to be?

FWIW, with little kids (in fact, in general, in my experience), I think you'd be much happier at the Westin Kierland or the Sheraton Wildhorse Pass. Both have pools that are much more child-friendly, and both are substantially more generous with upgrades.
Old May 3, 2008, 8:24 am

Programs: continental, united premier, hyatt diamond, marriott silver, priority club platinum amb,hilton gold
Phoenician and the Az Biltmore the two best in the Phoenix Area
Old May 3, 2008, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by stinkycop
Phoenician and the Az Biltmore the two best in the Phoenix Area
Have stayed at both, both are lovely, but the above is not accurate.

Btw, my stay at the Phoenician last weekend, with photos:
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...eferred-guest/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.