Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Charging for Toll-free Phone Calls

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Charging for Toll-free Phone Calls

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2006, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Thumbs down Charging for Toll-free Phone Calls

I stayed at the LAX Marriott last week and was astounded to find they are charging $1 for each toll-free call from the room. I wrote a scathing letter to the GM, remarking how this is just as onerous as charging for each elevator ride or bar of soap. TOLL-FREE CALLS COST THE HOTEL NOTHING, and charging guests is absurd.

Here's what the GM's assistant replied:

Dear Wxguy,

Thank you for your letter regarding the matter of the $1.00 access fee for 800 toll free calls. By way of information, the Los Angeles Airport Marriott has been designated as a test property for this process. As we go through this test period, all guest feedback regarding this charge is being elevated to our corporate offices as they go through the evaluating this process/procedure.

I regret any concern this matter has caused and thank you for taking the time to share your comments.

Sincerely,
(name)
Executive Assistant
FTers revolt! Do not stand for this. WRITE TO MARRIOTT NOW.
Old Dec 26, 2006, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by wxguy
I stayed at the LAX Marriott last week and was astounded to find they are charging $1 for each toll-free call from the room. I wrote a scathing letter to the GM, remarking how this is just as onerous as charging for each elevator ride or bar of soap. TOLL-FREE CALLS COST THE HOTEL NOTHING, and charging guests is absurd.

Here's what the GM's assistant replied:

FTers revolt! Do not stand for this. WRITE TO MARRIOTT NOW.
My understand is there are a few tests out there, this one and the pay for faster HSI test...neither is going well (I'll keep my personal opinion to myself on both of these tests)

Last edited by socrates; Dec 27, 2006 at 3:37 am Reason: typo
Old Dec 26, 2006, 3:57 pm
Suspended

I can see that You dont stay at SPG or Hiltons, a $1 a call would be great. They charge per time on the call.

It was all started when people would use dial-up as their connection and stay on for hrs, which meant that if enough people did so at the same time a number of the hotels tel lines would be out of use.

OK who uses Dial-up today. well if the hotel is charging $20 a day for its Broadband connection alot of people would
Old Dec 26, 2006, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by craz
I can see that You dont stay at SPG or Hiltons, a $1 a call would be great. They charge per time on the call.

It was all started when people would use dial-up as their connection and stay on for hrs, which meant that if enough people did so at the same time a number of the hotels tel lines would be out of use.
I've stayed at properites that charged $0.10 per minute for "toll-free" calls after the first 20 minutes which were free, for this very reason. That's entirely reasonable.
Old Dec 26, 2006, 5:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by wxguy
I've stayed at properites that charged $0.10 per minute for "toll-free" calls after the first 20 minutes which were free, for this very reason. That's entirely reasonable.
I agree with You, but I was talking about where they charge from the get go. No free time what so ever.

I remember once that at check-in I was told no Ups are available even thou my car was the 10th one parked in the lot and all the rooms were dark. OK maybe they expected a bunch of buses to pull up but it was 10:30pm.

Got up to my non-upgraded room to see I was given an accessible room. So I picked up the phone and called the Plat Desk of SPG. Got switched to a reg room no Up and in the morn the bill had a charge for the 800# I called (which was to the Plat desk). I spoke with the Mgr who finally took it off, but gave me a hard time about it. Once I said OK leave it , Ill simply file a complaint with Corp about this whole stay , was he willing to remove it. OK I admitt I should have checked out the rates before I called or I should have gone down to the lobby and used the pay-phone. ( It took place before there was free roaming on the cells), but I simply forgot and made the call.

Dont know the last time I made a call from my room w/o having 1st checked to see what if any charges will be assessed.Then again my cell works everywhere (most places) today w/o roaming etc. But during Peak time would still rather use the room phone for 800#s then my peak mins.

But do complain, cause if people dont then it will be implemented Marriott Wide.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 5:45 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Oh-so-thank-U, Wxguy for posting this, so we all can influence their test !
I remember the mid-1990s when charging for toll-free calls & LD access were rampant until enough people said 'Enough!' One chain put a full-page ad in USAToday announcing the end of such charges.

I suspected that hotels believed that guests would be intimidated by the threat of being called cheapskates & road-warriors would not complain when they were on expense acct.s.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 7:01 am

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by socrates
My understand is there are a few tests out there, this one and the pay for faster HSI test...neither is going well (I'll keep my personal opinion to myself on both of these tests)
I would potentially pay for faster HSI. Say at a courtyard where the HSI is super slow because it's free. My cell phone generally has faster internet
Old Dec 27, 2006, 11:52 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier
Once again, compared to North America it is rip off Europe. In the UK toll free calls cost Ł1.99p - about $4.

However this is not too bad compared with Ł0.99p - about $2 per minute or part minute for all UK land line calls.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craz
At the HGI I stayed at a lot this summer, every guest was given one hour of long distance free. I asked and was told this was an hour every night. She told me either that or one hour every call, she wasn't sure.

I didn't push it.

Oh yeah, HSIA was also free.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 3:32 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
$1 a call is nothing. Last hotel I stayed at charged me local call rates (something like $4 a minute) for all my toll-free calls.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
$1 a call is nothing. Last hotel I stayed at charged me local call rates (something like $4 a minute) for all my toll-free calls.
Outrageous! I hope you refused to pay. (Isn't "toll-free" and "I was charged" an oxymoron?)
Old Dec 27, 2006, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Qantas Gold, HHonors Gold, A|Club Gold, Marriott Silver, ICHG Gold
The Frenchman's Reef / Morning Star in St. Thomas USVI (as at 2 weeks ago) also has a $1 for toll-free calls charge. Sounds to me like this is rapidly becoming more than just a 'test'.
Old Dec 28, 2006, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I was shocked to find a $2 charge for a toll-free call made at the Marriott Marquis in NYC. They refused to remove it from my bill. No warning. I was just lucky I noticed it while checking my bill on the TV.

This is really outrageous. At least such charges should be waived for elite travelers.

Bruce
Old Dec 28, 2006, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Elite travellers have never obviously stayed at Ian Schrager hotels.

The one at SFO where I stayed at when it first opened, charges local phone calls at $1 a minute!!! Toll free or not !

The $1 charge for toll-free calls is acceptable. Most hotels in USA charge that. Some charge more. The ones in UK are the extortionists where they , like Kiwi said, charges per "unit" (how they justify this is anyone's guess).

I was staying at the Scandic Hotel in CPH last month, and I had to make an emergency call on the house phone to Germany. More of a - please call me back at this number - kind of call. Well, my friend was slow in writing down the number, and kept asking me to repeat the question... anyway.. the call ended up being over a minute. I was expecting it to be at least in the region of 5 Pounds. That would be the case for UK..

But when I checked out, the call was less than the equivalent of 1 Pound! Amazing..
Old Dec 28, 2006, 5:58 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by bdschobel
I was shocked to find a $2 charge for a toll-free call made at the Marriott Marquis in NYC. They refused to remove it from my bill. No warning. I was just lucky I noticed it while checking my bill on the TV.
What do you mean "NO WARNING"? I have stayed there in the past and know they provide a listing of telephone service charges in every room. Are you saying that listing showed toll-free calls were free or that you never bothered to look at the listing?

That said, wouldn't it be nice if every hotel was like the Hoxton in London with a charge of 3p (6 cents) per minute for local calls and 5p (10 cents) per minute for direct dial long distance calls to the USA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.