Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Boston: which hotel? 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Boston: which hotel? 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Old Mar 19, 2007, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Medallion, SPG Gold, HH Diamond
Arrow Boston: which hotel? 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Anyone with recent stays the Starwood properties around Boston. I have a trip in September and will be in the downtown area. Need some good information on the prefered property or, more specifically, the one not to be at. Thanks for your help.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt GP Plat
i stay in boston often- but only at one of two properties: westin copley and sheraton boston. both are in back bay, very convenient to many things, quick T or cab ride downtown. the westin is the much better hotel. it's newer while the sheraton is a bit drab. however, the sheraton has always treated me better. i always have been upgraded at the sheraton as a plat and the staff actually seems happy to see me. beware though, the sheraton has many many conventions and the place can sometimes get crazy.

i've never stayed at the new westin convention center- looks nice but a bit out of the way for me. don't even think about the 4points near the airport.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
Cambridge is where I need to be when I go usually, so I stay at the Commander, which always treats me well. That said, downtown I prefer the Westin Copley.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 4:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Premier Plat, UA Plat
Westin copley is the best hotel and location. They are also having a triple starpoints deal + bfast, depending on when you are going:

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin...TRIPLEBK07_BOS
Old Mar 19, 2007, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
I stayed at both Sheraton Boston and Westin Copley Place and both upgraded me to fabulous suites. I like both hotels and both are in excellent location. They are only a couple of blocks from each other. Westin is slightly better in quality but it is a Westin afterall, and the price often reflects such. However, I don't think you will be disappointed at Sheraton either. Both are fine choices and are on the top 10 list of my favorite Starwood hotels in the world!

Here are some pictures for you to consider:
Westin Copley Place

Sheraton Boston
Old Mar 19, 2007, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA GS
stayed at the westin copely last month...had a corner junior suite, was great and the location can't be beat!
Old Mar 19, 2007, 4:43 pm

Programs: DL, SPG (Gold)
Originally Posted by elihu1991
beware though, the sheraton has many many conventions and the place can sometimes get crazy.

Expect that to be the case during the first weekend in April (Easter Weekend).

Anyone who's looking for a quiet/relaxed weekend in Boston should probably avoid the Sheraton and nearby Hynes Convention Center during that weekend.....as it will very likely be anything but.......

A.J.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA PLT, USAir Gold
Originally Posted by Bulldog King

Expect that to be the case during the first weekend in April (Easter Weekend).

Anyone who's looking for a quiet/relaxed weekend in Boston should probably avoid the Sheraton and nearby Hynes Convention Center during that weekend.....as it will very likely be anything but.......

A.J.
Is there a convention on Easter weekend???

I live two blocks away from either property. I have heard nothing about any convention on Easter weekend - in fact, it is usually pretty quiet.

The Westin is a nicer hotel but the gym leaves much to be desired, if that is important to you. The gym at the Sheraton is much nicer.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 6:33 pm

Programs: DL, SPG (Gold)
Originally Posted by TrishBOS
Is there a convention on Easter weekend???
Yup..

April 6-8th.

It's a fan/industry convention dedicated to Japanese anime and manga called Anime Boston.

It's being held primarily at the Hynes....and also in certain areas of the Sheraton (which is also once again the official hotel of the convention).

Attendance will probably be around 10,000 or more.......with Saturday likely being the busiest day.

So, don't be surprised when you see dozens of people of various ages walking around dressed in various costumes.

FWIW, last year it was held over Memorial Day weekend.....and IIRC, caused a bit of a stir on this forum........so, a bit of advance warning for this year's convention seemed to be in order.

A.J.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 8:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis Preferred
Yeah I was there for that lovely convention.

AVOID IT AT ALL COSTS.

Unless you want to share your hotel with thousands of freak shows. I was just there for a nice weekend away from my wife, I was about to ready to go over to the Westin and pay rack rate. I complained, loudly, to the front desk, and they put us in a nice suite on the Club Level. The room itself was very nice and there were no freakazoids in the Club Level, only the convention organizers who probaby laugh all the way to the bank.

Of course, we still had to share the lobby and the area with convention, which is why I still urge all of you--or at least those of you who don't dress up as skanky cartoon characters--to avoid the area.

Overall, I do feel like the Sheraton staff is friendlier and there is more "play" in terms of upgrades, etc. But the Westin is classier. The staff just tends to act like they are doing you a favor by letting you stay there. But this summer, I've actually gotten better rates at the Westin, so that's where we will be. And once we're in our rooms, pretty happy about it too as they are quite nice.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 9:12 pm

Programs: DL Diamond; SPG Plat;
It's not convenient, but the westin waterfront is really nice. It was quiet and new in August, not sure now. The restaurant, sauciety, is very good for a hotel restaurant in my opinion. Nicely appointed rooms...
Old Mar 20, 2007, 7:37 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
The Sheraton Commander in Cambridge is very nice. I've been staying there every week. Large rooms, very nice staff, great area (right near Harvard Square and a T stop). The hotel has an old grand feel of luxury.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 4:16 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by Jumpgate
The Sheraton Commander in Cambridge is very nice. I've been staying there every week. Large rooms, very nice staff, great area (right near Harvard Square and a T stop). The hotel has an old grand feel of luxury.
I'm sorta mixed on the Commander. Unless one has a specific reason to be in Cambridge or thereabouts, it's really not among my favorites. I'm guessing they've recently remodeled this place in the past year or two (can someone confirm?), but until a few years ago, the rooms felt consistently well worn -- some worn almost out.

I've had okay suites here, but I much prefer being at the much larger hotels right in Boston, if BOS is where I want/need to be.

This topic has been discussed only about 12 million times here on FT -- a search would bring up all the highs and lows on those properties. In my opinion, nothing has changed there.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 5:44 pm

Programs: starwood plat, delta plat
Boston hotels

I stay in Boston every week and rotate between the four major starwood hotels.

Westin Copely- Really nice but pricey. The suites are awesome but the normal rooms are sometimes a little cramped.

Copley Sheraton-Same great location as the Westin, just not quite as nice. The gym is great though.

Westin Waterfront-VERY large, really nice, but the location is awful. There are no restaurants nearby and no mass transit. Given how bad Boston traffic can be, I like the option of the subway.

Sheraton Commander- The overwhelming majority of rooms have been recently renovated. They just completed the club floor last week in fact. The rooms are generally larger then any of the Boston proper hotels. While its in great shape, the atmosphere is definitely "classic". Its close to the T and by Boston standards many good restaurants. I am not a fan of their restaurant.

My preference is for the Sheraton Commander, largely due to its location right next to Harvard Square.

AVOID-
Sheraton Newton- Just plain gross and a crap location.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 6:00 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by prosen
AVOID-
Sheraton Newton- Just plain gross and a crap location.
On this point, we can A L L agree.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.