Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

My secret to reducing travel security hassles...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2006, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Hilton, Marriott, Starwood

I've decided to share my secret for reducing hassles while going through security.

Ready?

I'm really, really nice & polite.

Seriously, it works wonders.

For example, the first time they (briefly) had the National Guard out again at LAX to do gate checks for fluids & gels, everyone held back when boarding started, to avoid being the first through (and hence 'randomly selected'). My approach? I walked up, gave my boarding pass to the Lieutenant, and said "Thanks for being out here today". His response? "Let this one pass".

Was I sincere? I was thankful for his service, but I'd rather not be searched. Regardless, I passed. I settled in 2A, and 5 minutes later the rest of the plane began to board, griping about the search.

Being pleasant usually has an upside when traveling. I've not seen a downside yet.

Happy (almost) New Year!
Old Dec 29, 2006, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
In the spirit of giving, I'm going to share my secret for screeners who want to reduce hassles while wasting tax payer money.

Ready?

Be really, really nice & polite.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, 1.5MM, Marriot
I am really, really nice and polite every time I travel, with everyone I encounter. It's how I was brought up. I do find that it makes my experiences with others more pleasant, as people usually respond in kind, and it also puts me in a better mood.

That said, none of that has stopped TSA from being rude to me, searching my bags, being generally careless with my belongings, and confiscating totally legal items from my ziploc bag.

Being really, really nice and polite is the right way to be, but it doesn't guarantee you a free pass every time. Unfortunately, it doesn't even mean others will be even marginally nice to you. When they're not, though, I think it is possible to still be polite as you are standing up for yourself.

GG
Old Dec 29, 2006, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
In the spirit of giving, I'm going to share my secret for screeners who want to reduce hassles while wasting tax payer money.

Ready?

Be really, really nice & polite.
From your lips to G-d's ears. I'm not sure the TSA types will be listening.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by joe_s
From your lips to G-d's ears. I'm not sure the TSA types will be listening.
It's a pity. Screeners in other countries recognize that what they are doing is an inconvenience, and they are polite. Screeners in the US act like they are answerable to no one.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by GeoGirl
...people usually respond in kind, and it also puts me in a better mood.
That's my motivation. Sadly, I really wasn't raised right... but I've progressed since then!

That said, none of that has stopped TSA from being rude to me, searching my bags, being generally careless with my belongings...
Sadly, ditto.

Being really, really nice and polite is the right way to be, but it doesn't guarantee you a free pass every time. Unfortunately, it doesn't even mean others will be even marginally nice to you.
Also sadly true. I do think I'd get have even less luck if I was grumpy on the outside, however (as with Jimmy Carter, I do admit to having plenty of impure thoughts).

When they're not, though, I think it is possible to still be polite as you are standing up for yourself.
I also agree. I do speak up when there's a a likely positive outcome. Just venting doesn't work for me, though.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Screeners in the US act like they are answerable to no one.
thats because they'd be working at mcdonalds if it werent for the creation of the TSA, and we all know how variable mcdonalds employees can be.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Wink

It's a pity. ... Screeners in the US act like they are answerable to no one.
Seriously speaking, it is obvious that they largely are answerable to no one. I'm afraid that until there's a regime, er, Administration, change, however, the "Security Kabuki Theater" (love that phrase) is all we're going to get.

I admire passive resistance. I love the "Kip Hawley is an Idiot" T-Shirts and "Freedom Baggies". I'm afraid I, like most everyone, trade a small measure of personal dignity for a quick trip through security, however. Each time I endure the silliness and incompetence of the TSA, on the inside I gripe, while on the outside, I sincerely [1] smile.

I am politically active, however, and do my best to "vote the buggers out".

Footnote:
Secret #2. Sincerity is everything. Once you can fake that, the rest comes easy.

Last edited by joe_s; Dec 29, 2006 at 5:53 pm Reason: Fixed a typo
Old Dec 29, 2006, 6:17 pm

Programs: CO PLT, HH DIA
I've decided to share my secret for reducing hassles while going through security.

Ready?

Seriously, it works wonders.

For example, the first time they (briefly) had the National Guard out again at LAX to do gate checks for fluids & gels, everyone held back when boarding started, to avoid being the first through (and hence 'randomly selected'). My approach? I walked up, gave my boarding pass to the Lieutenant, and said "Thanks for being out here today". His response? "Let this one pass".

Was I sincere? I was thankful for his service, but I'd rather not be searched. Regardless, I passed. I settled in 2A, and 5 minutes later the rest of the plane began to board, griping about the search.

Being pleasant usually has an upside when traveling. I've not seen a downside yet.

Happy (almost) New Year!
PLEASE tell me you understand why this worked with he Guard. The National Guard is a military organization that is accountable to higher-ups. The TSA is a workfare program that is accountable to no one and operates in secrecy.

--PP
Old Dec 29, 2006, 10:06 pm

Like many, I am polite until provoked. It is hard to remain pleasant and polite when you have the screeners barking inconsistent orders at you, not knowing their own rules, etc.

In most instances, checkpoint encounters are passable with little fanfare. What I detest are those screeners who hop on their powertrips and enjoy the endless barking as if that improves anything. There is absolutely NO reason to raise ones voice in the checkpoint area. This should be the first rule to being a TSA screener.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 10:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)

Ready?

!
Funny, I'm really grumpy, but 99% of the time they are nice to me too.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 1:32 am

Programs: I am an AS employee, but my comments do not represent the company in any official capacity.
Originally Posted by VideoPaul
PLEASE tell me you understand why this worked with he Guard. The National Guard is a military organization that is accountable to higher-ups. The TSA is a workfare program that is accountable to no one and operates in secrecy.

--PP
I believe this to be a correct and astute observation, VideoPaul.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 6:08 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, US, NWorst
Unhappy Long and boring

I'm a polite and quiet person. But things like this just happen---

I have a favorite body spray that is in a larger aerosol can, but is 2.5 oz, so within the allowance. It fits perfectly in my quart ziploc with the top on it.

I position the spray so that the size can be read through the plastic so they don't HAVE to take it out, but 1 in 20 flights someone wants it out to examine it. Last week through MIA got a TSA that evidently wanted it out-without asking me to examine anything or saying a single word- he opened the ziploc by ripping off the sliding tab, dumping everything into a tub and opening and spraying a profuse amount of body spray in the air. So much so that other passengers in the area immediately became "Happy" (ala scent Clinique, however, definitely not in the true sense of the world, as many were choking- the scent blew so strong with no air movement in the area). Once he was satisfied that it wasn't going to blow the world to smithereens he shoved the bin back at me (one item came out and landed on the floor) and said "pack it up, you're okay this time". I asked him for a replacement bag since he ruined mine (and since I had a connecting flight where they would again require a ziploc). He laughed at me and said "I'm TSA, we don't supply baggies". At that point his supervisor came over and asked me what happened (the sup has seen me many times before as a regular on many a midnight flight out of MIA)- the TSA got carted off and I packed up my stuff in one of my two extra baggie I always have in my carryon. I've moved on.

Evidently this guy hasn't hasn't as my flight last night he wanted to pull out my stuff again. I'm going to have to start looking at which line I go through!!!
Old Dec 30, 2006, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=joe_s;6920014].....I settled in 2A...........QUOTE]

You sure are a nice guy. I am curious. Did your boarding pass state "2A" or were you rewarded again by the TSA Officer.

MisterNice
Old Dec 30, 2006, 9:28 am

Programs: CO Plat, Priority Club Plat, HH Diamond, Avis First, Hertz #1Gold
Originally Posted by maggie6872
Last week through MIA got a TSA that evidently wanted it out-without asking me to examine anything or saying a single word- he opened the ziploc by ripping off the sliding tab, dumping everything into a tub and opening and spraying a profuse amount of body spray in the air. So much so that other passengers in the area immediately became "Happy" (ala scent Clinique, however, definitely not in the true sense of the world, as many were choking- the scent blew so strong with no air movement in the area). Once he was satisfied that it wasn't going to blow the world to smithereens he shoved the bin back at me (one item came out and landed on the floor) and said "pack it up, you're okay this time".
So, the guy decides to "field test" suspicious spray that he considers could possibly contain a deleterious substance by spraying it in the air. Brilliant! Just brilliant!

If many of these stories are compiled in one piece I think we have the makings of an academy-award winning comedy. What a shame it is being subsidized by billions of U.S. tax dollars.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.