Wiki Posts
Search

Earning Compensation to Attend FlyerTalk Gatherings: An Idea

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2006, 6:46 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Earning Compensation to Attend FlyerTalk Gatherings: An Idea

Whether it is called a DO, a Meet, a Gathering or any other term, FlyerTalk members seem to overwhelmingly enjoy attending one. The mere thought of meeting each other in some exotic or popular location somewhere around the world, dining on great food, seeing sights one never thought they might see and doing things together that one would not otherwise do without FlyerTalk is enough to compel someone to attend. Dining on seafood risotto in a little-known ristorante in Venice, visiting an old castle high up on a hill in France near the German border, milling around with the locals in a busy outdoor market in Ljulbljana, or simply gathering in the mansion of a FlyerTalk member in El Paso are some personal examples of my memorable experiences with other FlyerTalk members, which I am certain pale in comparison to what many of you have experienced.

I have attended at least a dozen of these FlyerTalk gatherings myself, and I have always had a good time — and I would certainly like to attend more. The problem is that attending one takes time and money, even if one uses miles and points.

Some of us are fortunate enough to be able to incorporate them on business trips that are already planned, or are flexible enough in their schedules to be able to postpone a business trip to coincide with the planned FlyerTalk gathering. Many of us are not that fortunate, however.

I would certainly attend more FlyerTalk gatherings in more destinations more often if I was able to justify the economics of time and money. I would think that I am not the only one who feels this way.

An idea that came to me while attending the Who Will Be The Next FlyerTalk Member To Post? An OMNI Game LIVE and In Person:LJU DO in Europe. I discussed it either in person or via the telephone with several FlyerTalk members, including the CommunityBuzz! forum’s very own chrissxb, and they all thought it was a good idea.

Here is the idea:

If there was some way one could work, either before or after attending a gathering of FlyerTalk members, then one could theoretically attend more of them more often. Perhaps a FlyerTalk member in the host location could scout a customer from his or her network of people that has a need for a product or service that a FlyerTalk member can fulfill. I personally know of only a few contacts located outside of the United States with whom I can do business. For example, if I wanted to travel to South Africa to attend a FlyerTalk gathering, I could provide a needed service to a contact of a FlyerTalk member who resides there, as I do not personally know anyone who is based in South Africa.

Examples of professional services that can be rendered on location by a FlyerTalk member include training, software programming, consulting, data processing, photography, fixing or repairing computers, or graphic design.

Examples of products that can be sold by a FlyerTalk member who is in the business of selling such products include food products, computer hardware and software, premium incentives, clothing items, accessories, gift items, or cosmetics.

FlyerTalk members are such a diverse group with regard to their occupations. This is a major reason why I personally believe this idea, about which I am being serious, could work.

This idea is being presented here in its raw form. FlyerTalk members are known to be resourceful and creative enough to improve this idea to where it can actually be doable.

The end result would be FlyerTalk members meeting more often in more locations around the world while still maintaining their businesses and their jobs — if permitted by their employers, of course — and being able to justify these trips.

Helping FlyerTalk members to increase their travel allows them to earn and use more miles and points in the long run — and isn’t that basically what FlyerTalk is all about?

What do you think? Can this work?
Old Dec 29, 2006, 9:05 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
I think it is a really creative and interesting idea!!!!
Old Dec 29, 2006, 10:22 pm

I'm always looking for ways to justify my travel to people I know and work with that just "don't get it", and this thread is a very intriguing prospect for helping my cause. I'll be keeping my eyes on it.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 7:49 am

Programs: WN, Marriott, Choice
I am doing this in conjunction with the upcoming ELP DO.

I can't justify an overnight stay, but airfare, ground transportation and per-diem is 'covered'. ^ ^
Old Jan 5, 2007, 8:04 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I think the biggest challenge here is that for the most part we are unaware of what one another does. Perhaps creating something like a FlyerTalk LinkedIn group would be a start. Or perhaps when posting "Me Too" on DO threads make sure that everyone says what business they are in so others can note this and initiate these types of "I know a guy/lady who does..." contacts.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 11:03 am

Doing business with friends

What a great idea! It's always nicer to do business with people you know or at least have something in common with.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 12:13 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
This is a great idea !!! ^ ^

Isnt there a FT Business directory of sorts already up & running?
Old Jan 5, 2007, 7:23 pm

Programs: DL, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont
This is a cool idea.

I am scheduled to attend ELP DO 2. My finances took a down turn and it would be great to have a way to justify the trip or have expenses covered. I might have to find another business.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 8:27 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Given the current financial crisis in the United States and especially after reading this...
Originally Posted by slawecki
my portofilio has collapsed, so i now must resort to priceline, on street parking, and mooching off relatives.
...I thought it might be an opportune time to revisit the idea that is the topic of this thread.

I know many FlyerTalk members — myself included, especially after the completion of earning my Master of Business Administration degree earlier this year — whose financial situations have deteriorated recently and still want to attend gatherings of FlyerTalk members but currently cannot afford to do so or have a difficult time justifying the cost.

Let us please see how we could get the idea of earning compensation to attend FlyerTalk gatherings to fruition and give a win-win situation to all that participate in this idea.
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Isnt there a FT Business directory of sorts already up & running?
Yes:

The FlyerTalk Business Exchange Forum

Also, please do not forget about the following thread as well:

Hire a Flyertalker

Hopefully these threads will help as resources to promoting this idea and having it work.

Last edited by Canarsie; Oct 1, 2008 at 8:33 am
Old Oct 1, 2008, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by yosithezet
....Perhaps creating something like a FlyerTalk LinkedIn group would be a start....
Ummm, there are already TWO FlyerTalk groups on LinkedIn! Please do NOT create a third one!
Old Oct 1, 2008, 10:40 am

Programs: Credit Cards
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Helping FlyerTalk members to increase their travel allows them to earn and use more miles and points in the long run — and isn’t that basically what FlyerTalk is all about?

What do you think? Can this work?
If I could figure out a way to do this I wouldn't need a job!

I would love to do this for a living...

--Russ
Old Oct 1, 2008, 3:08 pm

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, HHonors
Love the idea... Anything regarding Real Estate, just give me a shout. Although, if the Do/get-together is good enough, I will do almost anything right down to snow shoveling, mowing your lawn, or washing windows.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 3:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
Ummm, there are already TWO FlyerTalk groups on LinkedIn! Please do NOT create a third one!
I'm only in one of them (http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=1...222898223970_1). Where is the other one?? It doesn't show up searching for "flyertalk" in LinkedIn.

ETA - never mind; I found the other one, too. It is flyertalk.com (http://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=...trk=anet_ug_hm) rather than just plain flyertalk in the search.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
I'm only in one of them (http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=1...222898223970_1). Where is the other one?? It doesn't show up searching for "flyertalk" in LinkedIn.

ETA - never mind; I found the other one, too. It is flyertalk.com (http://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=...trk=anet_ug_hm) rather than just plain flyertalk in the search.
So, should you belong to both?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.