Search

24 miles may have costed me 874 miles?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2007, 5:37 pm
dtc
Original Poster

Programs: Restarting life as UA newb; AA Lifetime Gold
24 miles may have costed me 874 miles?

On 12/16/06, I was supposed to fly from DFW-LGW-FCO. Unfortunately, DFW-LGW was delayed due to mechanical causing me to miss the LGW-FCO. Instead I had to shuffle from LGW-LHR to go on to FCO since there's only 1 flight a day from LGW-FCO.

Anyhoo, so AA automatically credited me 874 miles for LGW to FCO. I guess their mileage credit system isn't tied to the boarding pass verification system?

But I wasn't on that - I was on LHR-FCO (898). So I wrote them an email to correct this mistake and get the 24 additional miles... and this is what I got back:

Dear Mr. DTC <actually, the writer mispelled my last name>,

We're so glad you contacted us. It's always our pleasure to assist our valued AAdvantage elite members.

I have deleted the American Airlines flight from your accounts, and we received your mileage credit request for your travel on British Airways and have forwarded your information to them. This carrier must now verify that your travel qualifies for AAdvantage miles.

Eligible mileage should be posted to your AAdvantage account within approximately 30 days. If credit is denied by the carrier, we will notify you. Until this request is resolved, please hold on to all of your flight documentation, just in case additional verification becomes necessary.
Ack... I hope my LHR-FCO flight was in a bucket that qualifies for AA redemption. It would be really silly if I lost 874 miles to get the 24 more.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by dtc
Ack... I hope my LHR-FCO flight was in a bucket that qualifies for AA redemption. It would be really silly if I lost 874 miles to get the 24 more.
Unless I had needed those miles to requalify, I would have certainly left it alone. I try not to sweat the small stuff. Actually if you're plat, wouldn't you get a 100% bonus as well, so it would actually be 1748 miles?
Old Jan 1, 2007, 5:46 pm

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Unless I had needed those miles to requalify, I would have certainly left it alone. I try not to sweat the small stuff.
Agreed. Besides, I'm not sure there's a difference in mileage credit from LGW and LHR. Isn't mileage credit based on "ticketed point mileage", in this case the distance LON-ROM, rather than LHR-FCO or LGW-FCO (or LCY-CIA, for example)?
Old Jan 1, 2007, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by alex0683de
Isn't mileage credit based on "ticketed point mileage", in this case the distance LON-ROM, rather than LHR-FCO or LGW-FCO (or LCY-CIA, for example)?
No. EWR-DFW, JFK-DFW, and LGA-DFW all earn different mileage amounts.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 5:59 pm

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Originally Posted by martin33
No. EWR-DFW, JFK-DFW, and LGA-DFW all earn different mileage amounts.
Hmm, perhaps I'm confusing it with something else. Does TPM count for maximum permitted mileage (relevant for MRs and the like)? Because I'm sure I read it somewhere.

Anyway, good luck to the OP for getting the new flight credited.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 6:00 pm
dtc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Unless I had needed those miles to requalify, I would have certainly left it alone. I try not to sweat the small stuff.
Even after they deleted my 874 miles, I still requaled as plat with just 1457 miles to spare.

So... not quite sweating it. Just a "nice to have".

I'm actually sweating about requaling this (2007) year. My new job has even less travel than last year, and getting married means MR budget has been eliminated.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 6:01 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
If this is a discounted economy ticket, expect to only get 25% miles; it sounds like you were booked on the AA codeshare on BA LGW-FCO and on the reroute BA never puts you on an AA codeshare LHR-FCO, it will be BA code, which earns less on AAdvantage. Only full fare coach and higher earns 100% on BA; though reroutes sometimes wind up being booked in a higher fare class, depending on how rushed the agent was.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 6:09 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by alex0683de
Hmm, perhaps I'm confusing it with something else. Does TPM count for maximum permitted mileage (relevant for MRs and the like)? Because I'm sure I read it somewhere.....
Different airlines use one or the other method. BA uses TPM I think, for example.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 6:22 pm
dtc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
If this is a discounted economy ticket, expect to only get 25% miles; it sounds like you were booked on the AA codeshare on BA LGW-FCO and on the reroute BA never puts you on an AA codeshare LHR-FCO, it will be BA code, which earns less on AAdvantage. Only full fare coach and higher earns 100% on BA; though reroutes sometimes wind up being booked in a higher fare class, depending on how rushed the agent was.
I'm hoping that AA rebooked me. While I was sitting at DFW, I realized that I would never make the connection, so I called the Plat desk and they did the rebooking for me.

The boarding pass stub that I have doesn't really have any clues on it other than to say "XI ETKT" circle in pen at the bottom.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by dtc
I'm actually sweating about requaling this (2007) year. My new job has even less travel than last year, and getting married means MR budget has been eliminated.
should mean it's doubled...not eliminated!
Old Jan 1, 2007, 8:02 pm
dtc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by martin33
should mean it's doubled...not eliminated!
If every dollar I spend on this wedding were elite qualifying, I'd be Plat no time at all.

Money's tight these days - I live in a place where groceries cost 20% more - and that's in addition to the obscene cost of housing.

My only hope is to someone use my honeymoon as an excuse to earn miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.