Which W in NYC? [Master Thread]

Old Jan 5, 2003, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Arrow Which W in NYC? [Master Thread]

I've tried the original and the rooms are too small. I've tried Union Square which is nice, but I want to be further north this time. Any input or recent news?
Old Jan 6, 2003, 12:40 am
Suspended

it really depends on where you need to be. i like union square because i like downtown. but, if you are there on business in midtown or there to see broadway shows, the W Times Square or the Westin Port Authority would be better.
Old Jan 6, 2003, 8:20 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
I've not yet stayed in the Times Square properties, though lots of people have and there are many threads here about them. For my money, I like the W Court (first choice) or W Tuscany. If you are Platinum, in my experience, you will end up with one of the biggest rooms in Manhattan. They are small so service seems to be pretty consistent and the midtown location is very good. You're three blocks from Grand Central Station (Court is at 39th and Lex -- Tuscany is two doors down, toward Park Ave.) so you're in a very central location.
Old Jan 21, 2003, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I tried the W Court, and got a decent sized suite, but it seemed to me that attention to detail has been lost here. It was mostly little things, but a big thing was that our sofa bed was mangled and the heat wasn't working well.

The sofa bed we didn't notice til we got back from the bars at 4am. The heat we noticed right away. I called for maintenance to come up to fix it. While he was fixing it, he complained that all the so-called high-tech in the room simply meant that there were more things that could go wrong.
Old Jan 21, 2003, 12:44 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fly co to see the yanks:
it really depends on where you need to be. i like union square because i like downtown. but, if you are there on business in midtown or there to see broadway shows, the W Times Square or the Westin Port Authority would be better.</font>
I absolutely agree. It's all about location. Personally, I really liek the W Times Square; however, I haven't stayed at the new Westin yet. I just can't bring myself to staying across from the bus garage. Yes, the rooms at the W Times Square are a bit tight, but the funkiness of the hotel and it's location more than make up for the room size. Afterall, I really don't spend that much time in the room anyway. I also like the Westin Essex House. The staff is excellent and the Central Park location is good for me.
Old Jan 21, 2003, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC
Haven't been to the Times Square location. But, as a Platinum, I stayed at the W Court and didn't get upgraded over Labor Day weekend last year. Room was pretty average, although probably slightly larger than average by NYC standards.

Other than that, I don't have too much to say about the Court. I'll probably stay at a different W next time I go.
Old Jan 22, 2003, 6:34 pm

I have stayed at the W Times Square, Union Square, Tuscany, and Court. My favorite of all of them is the W Union Square. I am trying out the Westin Times Square in a couple weeks, but future stays will all be at W Union Square.
Old Jan 22, 2003, 11:33 pm

I stayed at W Times Square and liked it a lot - the location is so convenient! I was upgraded to Urban Suite (on weekend, which could be challenging).
Old Jan 23, 2003, 4:39 am

Location: DL: PM/2M; UA: 1K; AA: Plat/2MM; SQ: PPS; US: Plat; Starwood: Plat; Hilton: Diam Hyatt: Diam; Loews Plat; Avis: Chair.
I stay at both the Court and Times Square. TS is closer to where I need to be, in fact walking distance so I'm probably going to stay there going forward. But I'll miss the Court. because I stayed often, especially after 9-11 I was bumped in VIP status there and always get a great suite. The hotel is exceptional in helping out with any services requested and has a great apartment like feel to it.

I really like the TS too but will definitely miss the Court.
Old Jan 23, 2003, 5:03 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Go with a W that will give you the ability to confirm 2 queens in advance. Then if anyone is sharing a bed, there's some room to sleep. The Tuscany(adjacent the Court) is a good choice for that, as they have those room types.

Forget the original W. You'll never get a room big enough for 3 unless they upgrade you to one of the urban suites, which doesn't happen too often. Usually they upgrade to the standard suite, which is good for 1 or two(intimately related) people.

Union Square, Court and Times Square have rooms that you can confirm 2 doubles.
Old Mar 8, 2003, 4:26 pm

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
Bump... Stayed at the W Times Square and loved it... Going back to the big apple next month and would love to try another W.. Any recommendations ??? Important factors are ; Platinum upgrade and location (fun and interesting area, shopping, nightlife). Thanks in advance..
Old Mar 8, 2003, 6:37 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
I'd say your next best bet would be the Union Square location. Not as big, and fewer suites, so your chances are slimmer. But it's a great part of town, with a totally different feel than Times Square.
Old Jan 18, 2004, 12:16 am
Suspended

Best W hotel in New york?

Eventhou it's an old same question just need some update.

On the way back from London, lay over in NYC for a night. Which W hotel are the best here in term of quality for the price, service,room etc. I'm a starwood plat here

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 18, 2004, 7:39 am

Have stayed at W-NY, Times Square and Court. I would not recommend W-NY, due to service mainly and extremely small rooms if you get a regular room. Have been upgraded to a suite there, which was a nice space but absolutely no view.

Court is nice if you want more of a residential feel. Have just had regular room which was very nice size and quite large for NYC.

The newest and in my opinion the best is the new W Times Square. Great location for theater. Reg rooms are fair size (haven't had a suite yet) - and much larger than W NY rooms. Decor is usual dramatic W style. Have stayed at this one for $199 using AAA rate, which is pretty good, though you can probably find better deal on W NY and possibly Court (or Tuscany) which are side by side.
Old Jan 18, 2004, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, Air France Platinum Ulti, AA 4MM EXP, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Stayed both at the W Time Square and at the W Union Square and prefered the latter...if you don't mind the location, further south in Manhattan. But great property, excellent staff and nice rooms.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.