Circumventing a Lavatory Smoke Detector

Old Jan 12, 2007, 1:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Circumventing a Lavatory Smoke Detector

I was flipping through the TV on Thursday night before heading into work on a midnight shift and passed by something interesting. BBCAmerica had on a show called "Mile High" about an airline. At the moment I passed by, a flight attendant went into the bathroom to smoke and put a condom over the detector. Wonder if anyone's actually tried this on a flight...
Old Jan 12, 2007, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Bluehen1
I was flipping through the TV on Thursday night before heading into work on a midnight shift and passed by something interesting. BBCAmerica had on a show called "Mile High" about an airline. At the moment I passed by, a flight attendant went into the bathroom to smoke and put a condom over the detector. Wonder if anyone's actually tried this on a flight...
Those crazy Brits. Condoms don't go on smoke detectors! They go, well, you know where! At least if you want them to "work" correctly.

But seriously, there are some other threads about this subject. Let's hope that no one has enough balls to do it. It's usually airline personnel that seem to break these rules.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 10:38 am

Programs: TSA
Wow I could really run with the puns on this one. The thing is that the air circulation in a plane is not that high in volume where you could get away with this. I believe that this was just for show. Tampering with a smoke detector is a no no. Besides that with the gum and the patch and the lozenges, what is the point of smoking and risking the fine.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Never seen the show, but I wonder if this will create a monkey see scenario.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 12:32 pm

Mile High

Originally Posted by N965VJ
If you thought something you'd see on this show was credible, you wouldn't risk flying at all!
Old Jan 12, 2007, 6:58 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by N965VJ
I've always thought anyone dumb enough to try to imitate a TV show's stupid actions--a la Beavis and Butthead or Jacka**--deserve what they get.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've definitely heard about stories of people doing this before, so it's not a new invention.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
It's a shower cap for crying out loud. Get it right
Old Jan 12, 2007, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by BDLORD
It's a shower cap for crying out loud. Get it right
It's still a tight fit!

Back on topic... The air may not circulate that much, but if the drain system uses a vacuum assist, it *may* be possible to keep the cigarette smoke to a minimum. I'm not a smoker, so your mileage may vary. I'm not responsible if you end up in the slammer for trying this.

If a 10-17 hour flight is too long to go by without a cigarette, I highly recommend breaking the trip up into a bunch of small segments. If that's not possible, charter/buy your own plane and smoke all you want. And if that's still not possible, you should consider going somewhere else instead.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 7:44 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Even if the smoke detector doesn't go off, the stench of cigarete smoke will stay for quite a while. And when the smoker walks down the aisle, all passengers he or she passes will smell the smoke. Cigarette smoke is obnoxious and easily detected in a smoke-free environment.

HTB.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 8:30 am

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by Bluehen1
That programme is sick, twisted, and hilarious. It used to come on around 10:30pm when I was living in Melbourne.

O/T - British & Australian TV:

I saw Mile High appear about two months ago on BBC America and then it finished with a final episode. Looks like it must be running again ... sadly BBC America is really lacking in content when looking at the big picture with all of the various BBC productions... and the United States is really lacking in content for foreign television (not to mention foreign movies that never see the light of day here in the states).

Between Australia and the UK, there is a lot of great programming out there and I really wish the cable companies would make an attempt at providing it considering the # of Mexican/Hispanic stations we get. FWIW, I did call their cable company and spoke to some "marketing exec" about getting some British and Australian programming - She raved that we now have BBC America, "isn't that great"
Old Jan 13, 2007, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by eyecue
.... Besides that with the gum and the patch and the lozenges, what is the point of smoking and risking the fine.

You have obviously never tried to keep any of the above lit.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 9:24 am

Programs: AA EXP,HH Dia, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite,IC RA,Avis CHM
Originally Posted by Newryman
You have obviously never tried to keep any of the above lit.
^ ^ ^ Now that's funny ..
Old Jan 13, 2007, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by htb
Even if the smoke detector doesn't go off, the stench of cigarete smoke will stay for quite a while. And when the smoker walks down the aisle, all passengers he or she passes will smell the smoke. Cigarette smoke is obnoxious and easily detected in a smoke-free environment.

HTB.
Tell me about it ... I was sitting next to a drunk Polish guy a while back on YUL-VIE, who insisted on going to smoke not once but twice during the flight. He reeked of smoke when he got on the plane, he reeked during the flight, and the purser had a few choice words for him before landing, too. In the US they'd have arrested him... not sure anything serious happened in this case.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 7:44 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by okazon69
In the US they'd have arrested him...
Not sure smoking is a criminal activity. Arrested?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.