Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Driving the California coast, LA to San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2007, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Question Driving the California coast, LA to San Francisco

My wife and I are thinking about a California trip this summer, starting in LA and driving the coast to San Francisco. We'd like to spend time seeing the sites in both cities and take our time along the drive (I know Monterey is breathtaking), and ideally, visit Napa too. Any suggestions how many days is realistic for this itinerary and not be too rushed? Thanks!
Old Jan 15, 2007, 3:05 am
In memoriam

Usually, the recommendation is to start in SF and end up in L.A. Because that way you are driving on the ocean side of the two lane highway 1. Personally, I don't think the difference is that great.

The drive can be done in one very long day. But, should not be.

As to how long to take to SF and L.A. Either city could easily take up a week with lots left unseen. The drive itself includes Santa Barbara (could easily spend two days here, very beautiful, great beaches, downtown lots of fun), San Luis Obiispo (interesting downtown, streets closed off for big street fair and BBQ on Thursday nights-Spring through Fall), San Simion (good for at least a full day, be sure to reserve for Hearst tour ASAP) and then Big Sur (slow driving, wow views-try staying at Henry Miller House-now a very cool hotel run by the County-early reservations a good idea-on day at least, visit Big Sur State Park, take a hike), Monterey, a little touristy, Carmel (next to Monterey), super touristy, but beautiful-one day; Santa Cruz, charming seacoast town, see University of California campus in the redwoods; from Santa Cruz either drive up the coast to SF or, maybe better, drive up one of the mountain roads through the Santa Cruz Mountains to Palo Alto, see Stanford campus. While in Bay Area, be sure to see the sometimes missed UC Berkeley Campus-go up to Lawrence Radiation Lab at top of campus for amazing views of SF, Golden Gate and entire Bay Area. Also nice and often missed is Berkeley Rose Garden-great views, nice roses, in historic craftsman residential area North of Campus.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 12:04 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Info on Big Sur:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...52C0A9619C8B63
Old Jan 15, 2007, 4:29 pm

Location: JFK, LAX, LHR, DUB, MIA, ORD, MAD - heavy travel to all
Programs: EXP: 2014, 15, Final 7 Mo of 16, and all of 17 (soon to be '19-20). Big Bonvoy Users
I recently did the drive from LA to Big Sur and it was amazing for the last 2 hours of the ride. We spent four nights in Big Sur, then went north to Marin County, and looped back inland (101) en route to LA.

Doesn't matter if you have ocean on left or right of you as you drive (nice try) to or from Big Sur (as example) because your eyes had better be on the road as it gets hairy in some place.

You must stop at the Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo for great hamburgers ^
Old Jan 15, 2007, 11:18 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Southwest A-List, Hilton Diamond
How much time should you allocate for the trip? ...

Actually, I think the constraint will be how long of you have. I think BiggestBopper outlined the stops quite nicely. Funny that he points out the college campuses as waypoints in the Bay Area (don't get me wrong, they're great places to visit!)

Definitely take up his advice and not make the drive in just one day. I'm sure you will able to find some nice Bed and Breakfasts along the way.

As for SF, if at all possible, try to stay near a BART station. Although you have a car, it might be easier to get to places if your near BART. Parking in SF (and for that matter, here in Berkeley) can be tough. That being said, I would suggest either a place in SF if you can spring for it, but if not, I would suggest Walnut Creek as a good backup. Those are least sketchy places for a visitor along the line.

To add to the Cal campus recommendations, go up the Campinilie, our campus clock tower. IIRC, its only $1 per person per visitor, but on a clear day, you get a beautiful bay view. At the base of it, its fun to just sit and watch the sunset on its steps looking out onto the bridge.

So basically, I would say at least a week easy for LA-SF and stops in between. If you lay out what you'd like to check out, we could probably give you a better estimate. I think this board is full of residents who've lived in both LA and SF (or at least a bunch of So Cal Stanford and Cal students/alums or Nor Cal UCLA and USC students/alums)
Old Jan 15, 2007, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, SPG Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by biggestbopper
San Simion (good for at least a full day, be sure to reserve for Hearst tour ASAP)
Highly recommend as well though not sure it requires a full day. Can do the Experience Tour in 2 hours, but the estate is very impressive, so may want to do more than one tour.

http://www.hearstcastle.com/tours/
Old Jan 16, 2007, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Thanks, all, for all the tips. You've posted some great suggestions! It sounds like we'd want at least three weeks (one in SF, one in LA, and one for the drive). I'm sure if we had longer, we would not be short on things to see and do. We definitely would want to tour the Castle and enjoy Santa Cruz, Monterey, Big Sur, Santa Barbara. Thanks again
Old Jan 16, 2007, 2:45 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Quaker325
Thanks, all, for all the tips. You've posted some great suggestions! It sounds like we'd want at least three weeks (one in SF, one in LA, and one for the drive). I'm sure if we had longer, we would not be short on things to see and do. We definitely would want to tour the Castle and enjoy Santa Cruz, Monterey, Big Sur, Santa Barbara. Thanks again
I concur that you should take your time. My wife and I did a 14 day drive last Oct-Nov and I regret that we only spent 2 days from SF to LA. We did SF-LA-SD-then across to Tombstone back thru Tucson -Phoenix-Sedona-LAS for 4 days and back to LA. Hit road works on highway into LA and it took us 4 hours to go 20 miles. Took the joy out of the trip
Old Jan 16, 2007, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
If I can add to this, we really enjoyed Monterey and consider it worth a night's stay to refresh.

We did the drive SF->LA and consider the Monterey-Big sur-San Simeon section the most fun. Santa Cruz was also a good place for a break.

Driving via Pebble Beach, between Carmel and Monterey, is worth it if you'd like to see the courses and have another break. I preferred PB it to Monterey, which is like one huge gift shop for cashed-up retirees (no offence)!

There are some amazing spots near Big Sur, on the coast and in the national park. We timed some scenic parts of the drivee to coincide with (September)sunset, which made for hundreds of great photos. There was virtually no traffic so it was possible to park off the roads at lookouts without risk.

Try to get a map of the parks and attractions around Big Sur- staying at the hotel sounds like a great idea!

If possible, try to book a sporty car (ahead of time) to suit your comfort level, as this is a really beautiful, relatively quiet (for us) road that was a joy to drive!
Old Jan 16, 2007, 4:35 pm
In memoriam

Monterey has its very good points, Aquarium is very worthwhile. And the walk along the sea coast path around the peninsula is amazing. Also visit the butterfly grove at the end of the peninsula. Monarchs in flight! Even if the butterflies are out of town, worht a visit.^

And, think about joining the Sierra Club, before the developers destroy everything.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry, SW A-List Preferred
I did a similar trip the summer before last. A week is definitely needed. Our itinerary:

- flew into LAX: for us flight and rental car were both cheaper there than into SFO
- visited Hollywood/Venice for a bit: 2 nights
- drove up to Sequoia national park to see the giant trees (about 3 hours): 1 night
- drove up to San Francisco (about 3 hours). with a side-trip to Napa Valley (1 hour): 2 nights
- drove down to Monterey, visited aquarium and Carmel (about 1.5 hour): 1 night
- drove down the coast to Santa Barbara (about 4 hours)
- drove down to LAX (about 1.5 hours): final night

My regret: we should have spent one night in Santa Barbara. Both because it was beautiful and because it would have broken up the long drive we had the last day.

One tip: having a GPS navigation system in the car was real useful.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 5:10 pm

Point Lobos State Reserve

Point Lobos State Reserve, just south of Carmel, is a picturesque stop (state park entrance fee charged) and worthwhile even if you only have an hour or so. "Lobos" means "wolves" in Spanish and refers to the sea lions. The point is a promentory jutting into the ocean with crashing waves at your feet and great views from high above.

Sometimes, with cloudy weather along the coast (summertime fog is frequently present...spring and fall tend to have the best visibility), the views along the entire coastline from San Simeon to Monterey do not appear as grandiose as envisioned, and photography may be less than hoped for. But that should not stop you from doing this trip. It's still a great experience.

Also, look for the pretty arched highway bridges between Big Sur and Monterey...like the Bixby bridge....part of the scenic highway design dating from 1937.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
I did a similar trip years ago when I lived in DC, but only in a week and a half (was 2 1/2 weeks total, but we also did San Diego and Las Vegas). With 3 weeks, you will have plenty of time. Here are a few more suggestions based on lessons from that trip and from now living here (LA).

Instead of a day trip to Napa Valley (which we did the first time), do one day out of SF through Sonoma Valley, stay the night somewhere at the northern edge of Sonoma/Napa (i.e. Geyserville), and then come back down Napa on day 2 (or in reverse order).

When you leave Monterey area, drive Big Sur in the afternoon and get into Half Moon Bay in the evening. Have a great dinner, then wake up early the next day for a tour or two of the Hearst Castle (one tour was great - and you have to go all the way back down even if you have a second - but i think we would have enjoyed a second tour quite a bit). From San Simeon, I would make the next stop Paso Robles (drive the afternoon after Hearst). Stick around there for a day at a great B&B and explore the area. Then would drive through Santa Barbara wine country before getting to an overnight in Santa Barbara proper (the 'Sideways' route). Since I love cheezy yet small townish touristy places, I have to say do not skip Solvang.

Maybe a quick visit to/pass-through Ojai on the way from Santa Barbara to LA?

I would keep LA to 4 or 5 days. Plenty of time here. Either take the additional time with day-trips from San Francisco (so many great options), more stops on the way down, or add another stop just south of LA - i.e. Laguna Beach or Newport Beach. Lots of cool festivals (like Pageant of the Masters) going on all summer long.

With 3 weeks, you probably even have time to visit San Diego for two days.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 1:03 pm

Programs: US Gold, NW Silver, MR Silver, SPG Gold & OpenTable VIP
If you are a big wine fan, I'd recommend stopping in the Santa Ynez Valley just north of Santa Barbara. Everywhere you look will be another great vineyard - it's pretty amazing. This is where Sideways was filmed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.