Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No bonus miles from Chase Visa: Mileage Plus

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2007, 11:11 am
Original Poster

No bonus miles from Chase Visa: Mileage Plus

Just got a letter from Chase that we won't get the 25,000 bonus miles because we have other Chase Visa United Mileage Plus cards already. Is that what happenning now? No more bonus miles?
Old Jan 15, 2007, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Sorry! Didn't mean to be ignorant! I just saw antoher thread on No Bonus Miles on multiple AMEX cards stating Chase/UA has stopped giving bonus miles on multiple Chase UA cards
Old Jan 15, 2007, 11:17 am

You don't get bonus miles if you've received bonus miles on another Chase UA card. There are a bunch of threads on the subject.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by richarddd
You don't get bonus miles if you've received bonus miles on another Chase UA card. There are a bunch of threads on the subject.
This is the first I hear about it. Many others have describe getting them!
Old Jan 15, 2007, 12:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by travelgoddess
Just got a letter from Chase that we won't get the 25,000 bonus miles because we have other Chase Visa United Mileage Plus cards already. Is that what happenning now? No more bonus miles?

how long did it take from when you got the Card in the mail till You got the letter about Not getting the 25k miles?

I got my new card last week activated it but as of yet no letter. I previously had the UA Visa but didnt apply for it from Chase but I think it was Banc One or 1st USA whom ever Chase purchased it from. I closed out my old UA visa appx 2 or 3 months ago.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craz
how long did it take from when you got the Card in the mail till You got the letter about Not getting the 25k miles?

I got my new card last week activated it but as of yet no letter. I previously had the UA Visa but didnt apply for it from Chase but I think it was Banc One or 1st USA whom ever Chase purchased it from. I closed out my old UA visa appx 2 or 3 months ago.
The letter dated Jan 5. 2007 We activated the card on Christmas day 2006.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 1:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mat1090
This is the first I hear about it. Many others have describe getting them!
The poster you replied to didn't have to be so blunt and absent of more details. This change, or rather, enforcement of t&c's started occuring last month. Sure there are a few threads talking about it, but there are 1,000's of posts talking about multiple bonuses on chase, pre-last month. We'll be seeing alot of these over the coming weeks and months as churners logon to FT to see why they didn't get their multiple bonuses and see if it's happening to others.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 1:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, EA
A friend of mine opened three MP visas and Chase sent her a letter stating she could either return the miles (how I am not sure) or pay 500 dollars. Ouch.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by AJK1535
A friend of mine opened three MP visas and Chase sent her a letter stating she could either return the miles (how I am not sure) or pay 500 dollars. Ouch.
Hmmm, i'd burn up the 75k miles and then ask them to try and get blood from a stone while trying to prove in court where this equals $500 (although, that's not nec. a bad deal )
Old Jan 15, 2007, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA Plt, MR Lifetime Plat & Amb
Originally Posted by Ripper3785
This change, or rather, enforcement of t&c's started occuring last month.
The change began in November.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

let's get back to the reason why they give the miles to begin with.

to get you to get their card. It has a cost, and it generates money for them when you use it.

Why, then, do they have any issue with people who get more than one card? I mean, maybe what they should do is to make it so if you cancel in X time frame, you cannot get new miles on any newly ordered card, but not this!

Citi had a policy stating it would not give the 10k bonus to people who used to have any citi checking account ever ever before. That was going TOO far cuz people with accounts from the 1980s were unable to participate in that citi 10k checking acct offer and yet miles werent even around back then!

But at least they stated it in the outset. Chase is doing it maybe because people churn, but hey, even THOSE PEOPLE have paid fees, made credit movement, and have had to go thru the entire process just like anyone else! if chase is GIVING them the card, why do they also SHUN the practice that comes with it?

Does not make any sense.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 6:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
let's get back to the reason why they give the miles to begin with.

to get you to get their card. It has a cost, and it generates money for them when you use it.

Why, then, do they have any issue with people who get more than one card? I mean, maybe what they should do is to make it so if you cancel in X time frame, you cannot get new miles on any newly ordered card, but not this!

Citi had a policy stating it would not give the 10k bonus to people who used to have any citi checking account ever ever before. That was going TOO far cuz people with accounts from the 1980s were unable to participate in that citi 10k checking acct offer and yet miles werent even around back then!

But at least they stated it in the outset. Chase is doing it maybe because people churn, but hey, even THOSE PEOPLE have paid fees, made credit movement, and have had to go thru the entire process just like anyone else! if chase is GIVING them the card, why do they also SHUN the practice that comes with it?

Does not make any sense.
Sorry to disagree with You but it costs them Plenty. Especially when they have people like me who will meet the min demands, either 1 charge if that what it takes and at times that can be for a Buck or 2 or $250 if that is what is required. Usually once I charge that amount I wont charge another Dime, as there are other cards that give me a better yield.

Now in regards to the UA card I never churned it

But I have gotten cards got the bonus miles/pts waited say 3-6 months and then cancelled it least they take back the miles. Thats all Chase should do unless of cause they are gone but they should simply debit the Acct for 25k and UA does the same. Now for someone who got the card cashed in the 25k for afree tkt and flew, then theres little chance of Chase seeing its miles back. If however the acct holder still has miles in their acct or flies with UA then it will be only awhile till they get the 25k back.

No different then you charged some items and then cancelled your card You still have to pay the Bank even though the card is cancelled. And just as if there were refunds that came onto the card after you closed it the Bank still owes that to you.

I got a Mypoints Visa that was worth 5000 pts that with the few pts I had in my acct let me cash out for a $75 Marriott Cheque. I will wait till the Cheque is in hand and then close the card out. My charge was all of $13, the redemption value was just under.09 per $, not worth keeping the card where $25000 would be worth $225, much better using Amex or any miles card. a losing deal for the issuing bank if you ask me. So too for Chase, unless a person keeps the card for the full year and uses it as their primary card Chase could very well lose on the deal.

I know I said it was a Numbers Game it is, but they must also see it on a single person basis, an dthen they will lose with those on this board or fat wallet types.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

yeah but even if you just use them to get the miles at the bare min, you still DO BUSINESS, and someone else who sees you or hears of this gig will also DO BUSINESS and in the end, if a billion people do just one transaction, they HAVE to be making SOMETHING off it. maybe you are right and they should be more individualized. After all, they sure tout that the CS dept is. But why do they kick out people when in fact it's their own marketing department that just failed to do a thorough job? If anything, they ought to hire you, mate!
Old Jan 15, 2007, 6:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
yeah but even if you just use them to get the miles at the bare min, you still DO BUSINESS, and someone else who sees you or hears of this gig will also DO BUSINESS and in the end, if a billion people do just one transaction, they HAVE to be making SOMETHING off it. maybe you are right and they should be more individualized. After all, they sure tout that the CS dept is. But why do they kick out people when in fact it's their own marketing department that just failed to do a thorough job? If anything, they ought to hire you, mate!
If a Billion people did as I did/do Id say they stand to LOSE alot and not MAKE a lot as you said. Think I charged $13 so even if they charged 5% they made a whopping 65 cents, most likely they made alot less then that 65 cents.

Now in Chases case 25k at 1 cent per mile cost means it cost Chase $250 for those 25k. If they pay more then 1 cent it cost them more $$. So they figure that each new member will spend at least enough to recoup their costs but even that wouldnnt be enough. I dont know of too many business out there that would be willing to keep on Sales-people that bring in just enough to cover their pay. If the company feels they have potential they would keep them maybe for a 2nd yr, but if they still arent producing sufficent profits for the company they will be let go.

same here if Chase isnt going to be making a decent buck off the card holder its better for Chase to get rid of them.Chase isnt in this in order to have Us earn free tkts, they want to make $$$ and rightly so as any other biz wants to. Most issuers HATE me since I pay my bill off in Full every time its due, I never ever in over 30 yrs of havng CCs paid even 1 cent in Interest. They want thye person who pays the min or slightly more that way each month you will be paying Interest on the interest. I dont blame them Im like that too but I invest so that I will Earn Interest on the previous months Interest, it rolls-over. Compound Interest aint nothing like it , It will make You or if youre the one paying it, Brake You.

I hope the day is very far off, but Im waiting to see when the Airlines will start to issue miles on flights flown based on the orginal city and the final city. So you want to fly NY-BOS-MIA-ORD-DFW-LAX-SEA go ahead but they will only credit what a NS NY-SEA would have been, and they give you 1 segment and not 6.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craz
If a Billion people did as I did/do Id say they stand to LOSE alot and not MAKE a lot as you said. Think I charged $13 so even if they charged 5% they made a whopping 65 cents, most likely they made alot less then that 65 cents.

Now in Chases case 25k at 1 cent per mile cost means it cost Chase $250 for those 25k. If they pay more then 1 cent it cost them more $$. So they figure that each new member will spend at least enough to recoup their costs but even that wouldnnt be enough. I dont know of too many business out there that would be willing to keep on Sales-people that bring in just enough to cover their pay. If the company feels they have potential they would keep them maybe for a 2nd yr, but if they still arent producing sufficent profits for the company they will be let go.

same here if Chase isnt going to be making a decent buck off the card holder its better for Chase to get rid of them.Chase isnt in this in order to have Us earn free tkts, they want to make $$$ and rightly so as any other biz wants to. Most issuers HATE me since I pay my bill off in Full every time its due, I never ever in over 30 yrs of havng CCs paid even 1 cent in Interest. They want thye person who pays the min or slightly more that way each month you will be paying Interest on the interest. I dont blame them Im like that too but I invest so that I will Earn Interest on the previous months Interest, it rolls-over. Compound Interest aint nothing like it , It will make You or if youre the one paying it, Brake You.

I hope the day is very far off, but Im waiting to see when the Airlines will start to issue miles on flights flown based on the orginal city and the final city. So you want to fly NY-BOS-MIA-ORD-DFW-LAX-SEA go ahead but they will only credit what a NS NY-SEA would have been, and they give you 1 segment and not 6.

yeah I see your point. Of course, not everyone can cash in on the 25k awards and also a lot of people end up using their cards and paying such high fees and interest, that bank is making enough money to fund thousands of guys like you! But yeah, I guess 65 cents per is kinda too much. Hey, maybe this is why they use call centers in India! Lower wages??

As for your final situation where airlines base miles on the cities and not the route, OMG like DONT EVEN TELL ANYONE!!! That idea could actually get read by someone in the industry and they will go and effing DO IT! OUCH!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.