G*D Save "The Queen", except on CO Flights

Old Jan 15, 2007, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Plat, AS MVPGold, Kimpton Inner Circle
G*D Save "The Queen", except on CO Flights

Re: The Deletion of the word "God" in the "The Queen" on my EWR-SEA flight yesterday. I'm sure others have picked up on this.....

According to a thread on the NZ site that quotes an NZ Newspaper, the version of the movie played on NZ flights was dubbed out in respect to global cultural sensibilities, but on an American flagged carrier on a domestic route?.....this seems a little extreme

I know that this could spiral into a whole o/t thing, but wanted to see if others had noticed and corresponding thoughts...
Old Jan 15, 2007, 3:40 pm

Location: EWR, USA, AA 1MM Gold, United Premier Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
...Oh for God Sake!
Old Jan 15, 2007, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
AA did the same thing. Beyond belief.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=646349
Old Jan 15, 2007, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Omg!

So who is saving the Queen then? Political correctness gone crazy.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 5:27 pm

Programs: CO Gold - 1MM, IC Plat, Hertz PC
I am always baffled by these types of situations....I must assume if someone/group is offended by the word "God" in the movies that they show, then they must not want my USD$ (that say "In GOD we trust") for alcoholic beverages or headphones?

Of course, I am sure FT is not the appropriate thread for any of these discussions....my apologies but I had to comment.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 8:34 pm

Does CO even have editorial control over these things? Or are they just handed a tape/disk/avod upload from an aviation movie distributor that sends out that edited version to the airlines?

TMI edit: I thought I'd hate this picture, but I found myself so into the storylines that I held it for a bathroom break so I wouldn't miss a scene.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 9:13 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Who cares who saves the Queen? I want more Reba!!
Old Jan 15, 2007, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA-Silver; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Gold
I just watches The Queen last week on an Emirates flight from JFK-DXB. "GOD" was also silenced out in all of the scenes. I thought it was strange on a flight with AVOD. If you don't like it turn it off. We had over 500 other items to watch.

What was interesting was I watched snippets of a couple other movies on the same flight and they both had cursing. Seems strange to edit something as banal as "God save the Queen" and then leave in so called foul language.

People get too worked up about these types of things.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 11:36 pm

Programs: UA MM
I guess that this means that The Clash's Death or Glory ("he who f*cks nuns will later join the church") recently on Continental AVOD will not be followed by the Sex Pistols' "G*d save the Queen". Or maybe they can ask Johnny Rotten to overdub the offending bit with "Larry" ???

Last edited by perezoso; Jan 16, 2007 at 12:04 am
Old Jan 16, 2007, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
I just watched The Queen on VS and, needless to say, it was completely uncensored.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I watched "The Queen" on NW MSP-LGW this weekend and the word God was dubbed over. Ridiculous.

It's my educated decision to watch the movie, I want to watch the whole thing. Maybe they should caveat it up front with "contains the word God" - geeeeeez. (Yes, that's a joke).

-RM
Old Jan 16, 2007, 7:46 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
"contains the word God"
Funny!

But now that I think about it... I like this health warning. I may print up some labels and start sticking them on the covers of the bibles that I find in the bedside drawer of my hotel.

"WARNING: This book contains the word God... and the word is God and the word is with God"

Old Jan 16, 2007, 7:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Tits, HH Diamond, Hertz Plat
I think that's redicoulous as well.

If they dub the word God out, isn't that taking out a very important cultural phrase and not portraying the emotion of the scene...I am fine with dubbing out swear words to protect our kids, but to my knowledge unless you pair it with the word "d*mn" last time I checked it isn't.

Although I am 100% American and all, if it were a movie set in the Middle East I wouldn't get offended if they said "Allah save the King" or something of that nature...these censorship folks take things just a bit too damn far.

Sorry, I'll get off my proverbial soapbox now.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO Plat, AS MVPGold, Kimpton Inner Circle
......Interesting coda to this. I mentioned this to my girlfriend, who flew back to SEA on Delta the same time I was on CO. She started laughing and told me that when she was watching The Departed they didn't even edit out the "C-Bomb" and said "That's why I don't fly your prudish airline". I imagine getting upgraded all the time as a DL Silver has something to do with it as well.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 10:40 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Smile

Salaam Akum the Queen!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.