Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Austin Hotel at the Capitol, Austin, TX [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Austin Hotel at the Capitol, Austin, TX [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2007, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Location: WashDC - AA Lifetime Gold, UA Premier Gold, Marriott Titanium Lifetime, Hilton Diamond, Cal Tort Burrito Elito
Arrow Sheraton Austin Hotel at the Capitol, Austin, TX [Master Thread]

Have a stay tomorrow at the Austin Marriott at the Capitol (since as we all know there's no *wood property anymore/yet). Checking something on the hotel website today and it says the property will be leaving Marriott on 1/26 so no Marriott rewards points after 1/27. Called the hotel and they say that after the 27th it will be a ... drum roll please ... Sheraton. ^

Good news if true. Lurker, can you confirm?
Old Jan 17, 2007, 4:01 pm

Programs: HH Diamond; IHG Plat; Marriott Titanium; United Silver
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sherat...CheckAvail=yes
Old Jan 19, 2007, 7:37 am

What a relief. I'm currently reserved at the Four Seasons for 4 nights in early Feb, but will gladly redirecto the Sheraton once it is available. I spoke with the hotel this a.m. and there won't be a delay or closing associated with the rebranding, Starwood simply has to "turn on" the hotel in its res system. I'll post a trip report after the fact, including how I'm treated as a Platinum.

Safe travels to all - Jamie Baker
Old Jan 23, 2007, 10:34 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
It's official...

We are proud to announce that the 365 room Sheraton Austin Hotel is now part of Starwood Hotels and Resorts. This hotel is accepting reservations as of today January 23, 2007, for an opening date of January 27, 2007. SPG Level 3.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Feb 1, 2007, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by c230k78
Has anyone stayed here yet? I am looking to book a stay on Feb 17th and want to get some insight into this property. I didnt stay when it was a Marriott before. A key question... how far am I away from the clubs on 4th and 6th streets?
At least one known Flyertalker is staying there tonight and part of the purpose was to experience it as a Platinum and report back here.

This hotel is on 11th Street between IH35 and Red River Street. It is five blocks north of 6th Street on the far west end of the Sixth Street Entertainment District. Easily walkable, but if it were me, I would head west on 11th and turn south toward 6th Street no sooner than Trinity Street. Heading down Red River, for instance, will take you through some fairly seedy portions of the city, except maybe for around Stubb's BBQ.

Most of the clubs on 4th Street, IIRC, are mainly on the west side of Congress Avenue, which would be quite a trek.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Feb 1, 2007, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, *wood PLT (ambassador service) and more
Lurker, great info, thanks!!

Another question (or 2, or 3, who knows)
1) Are there pictures anywhere for this hotel and the rooms? I looked online and couldnt find any so I called the Plat Concierge line (spoke to a nice lady in Ireland) and she didnt find any either. I'd like to see some pictures

2) I went ahead and had her make a reservation for me for the 17th since its got a good cxl policy. Did I loose any *points for not making the rez online?

3) She said she could request an upgrade for me but I am not sure what that means with *wood, I know what it means with HHonors though... it means it wont happen. This is my first experience as *wood PLT and want to make it a good one. I checked my online rez but didnt see notes requesting an upgrade

4) Location seems ok as its just a short taxi ride from the clubs off of 4th according to your information so I think it will be a very nice stay
Old Feb 1, 2007, 1:43 pm

Lurker, great info, thanks!!

Another question (or 2, or 3, who knows)
1) Are there pictures anywhere for this hotel and the rooms? I looked online and couldnt find any so I called the Plat Concierge line (spoke to a nice lady in Ireland) and she didnt find any either. I'd like to see some pictures
No pictures available yet from a Starwood perspective, but they are coming. It is a nice looking hotel from the outside and in the lobby, but I have never been in any of the rooms.

2) I went ahead and had her make a reservation for me for the 17th since its got a good cxl policy. Did I loose any *points for not making the rez online?
No, I don't think the Busy Helpdesk web site is activated at the moment.

3) She said she could request an upgrade for me but I am not sure what that means with *wood, I know what it means with HHonors though... it means it wont happen. This is my first experience as *wood PLT and want to make it a good one. I checked my online rez but didnt see notes requesting an upgrade
It means that she will note your request on the reservation, but it is up to the hotel to grant it at check-in, subject to availability. There are two places to enter notes on a reservation: one for the hotel and one for the guest; obviously, this was going to the hotel, so it is probably noted there.

4) Location seems ok as its just a short taxi ride from the clubs off of 4th according to your information so I think it will be a very nice stay
Yes, a taxi or a 'Dillo would be necessary to get to that area from this hotel.

Enjoy.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Feb 1, 2007, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
I believe I am the FlyerTalker William made reference to earlier. I checked in to the new Sheraton AUS a short while ago. Front desk agent was very nice. Noted my Platinum status and searched for an upgrade, in fact the agent seemed surprised by my status. I guess the hotel hasn't seen too many Plats yet. Evidently all the suites are taken tonight for a Shriner's convention. He offered me a King room on the Club level or a King corner with a view of the Capitol. I took the Capitol view. He had a little trouble with the check-in as he and the others are learning the new computer system, but the problem was solved within 2 minutes. He had to go to the back office to issue my key with access to both my room and the Club level, but he was very apologetic. I was offered the card and the opportunity to choose my Platinum amenity. My room is ok. Furniture is a bit dated and the room looks like a standard Marriott. The hotel appears completely rebranded including the outside and inside signage, only issue is that no hotel book with amenities and services is in the room. I assume they removed the Marriott books and are waiting for the new Sheraton books to arrive. There are tons of posters around the lobby for Sheraton and SPG. There are also posters that the hotel rooms will be renovated this spring and the photo looks like a standard Sheraton room.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 9:24 am

dukeman-
Thanks for your report! I have a few questions for you...
1) Did you happen to take any pics of the hotel and the room and view?
2) How was the club lounge?
3) Was the bed the sweet sleeper one and comfortable? When you said the room was just ok and the furniture was a bit dated I got a little scared!
4) Would you recommend the hotel yet as a good choice for downtown or would you recommend holding off until the rooms are renovated?
Old Feb 2, 2007, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
1) Did you happen to take any pics of the hotel and the room and view?
No pics, sorry.

2) How was the club lounge?
I'm sorry to say, I didn't get to the Club. I had dinner plans yesterday evening and left early this morning.

3) Was the bed the sweet sleeper one and comfortable? When you said the room was just ok and the furniture was a bit dated I got a little scared!
No Sweet Sleeper bed yet. Think Marriott. This hotel just converted to SPG last Saturday.

4) Would you recommend the hotel yet as a good choice for downtown or would you recommend holding off until the rooms are renovated?
The hotel was fine. It met my needs. I'm sure it will be nicer once the rooms are renovated. The lobby area is very nice as was the bar.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 10:18 pm

Programs: NW Platinum, United 1P, American Gold, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, HH Gold
so i checked in tonight after getting all excited about hte possibility of staying in a *wood property in Austin, as I make it out for ~10 days a year.

I moved over from the 4 seasons Austin where my company has a great rate. Moving from a Jr. suite there to the club level (albiet a bonus since I'm only *wood gold) was a major shock.

As the person said before, they are still learning hte new system, but were very nice at the front desk. The downstairs looks rebranded and overall very nice. The rooms (im on the 15th floor with a king bed) is very outdated with outdated furniture, carpet and upholstry. I hope they completely redo the rooms. The bed is a standard Marriott style one.

So overall, service good, room not so good. I think I will switch back to the 4 seasons for the time being until they redo these rooms.

Thanks,

JB
Old Feb 8, 2007, 6:05 am

Programs: Platinum AA, Gold Skymiles, *wood Platinum
Interested in photos

Pictures are here from Tripadvisor. Look at the past reviews and customer photos on their site. They're truly representative. This hotel needs to be shut down and renovated and probably is going to be going through lots of construction over the next 6 months. And at $250+ per night, it's a tragedy to now say Austin has a Sheraton. It's a disservice to the new Sheraton brand. A $250 Cat 3?

I live in Austin and agree with the previous poster about the 4 Seasons. This hotel was a very shabby Mariott to say the least. Run down, mostly smelly. While it is intended to be a "convention" hotel, being close to IH35 leaves it to be a dump and Marriotts "worst" hotel for many years.

DO NOT go east of IH35 (4 blocks) in this neighborhood though late at night. Again, a very 'fringe' area for Austin and a lot of sketchy people hang out in this area on Friday and Saturday nights.

As Starwood Lurker kindly put it, it's very near the police station (good), in a VERY sketchy part of town where there are homeless shelters, and generally you're going to walk past dozens of homeless people to get anywhere except the parking garage.

I'd much more suggest the Hilton downtown, or even the Embassy Suites around Guadalupe.

Not to sound like a downer, but...
Old Feb 8, 2007, 6:23 am

Programs: AA(2MM)-Plt, HH-Gld, HY-Glb, ICAmb-Plt, SPG-Plt (Life), AMEX-Plt
Originally Posted by high_flyer
...And at $250+ per night, it's a tragedy to now say Austin has a Sheraton. It's a disservice to the new Sheraton brand. A $250 Cat 3?
Not to sound like a downer, but...
I too agree with the previous posters. I was excited to learn that an SPG property was back in town again until I learned the rates they are expecting.

Hmmm...thinking out loud...pay $279 at the Sheraton Austin or go to Dallas and pay $289+ at the W Victory. Besides the obvious fact that I live here and wouldn't pay $279 to stay a night in my own hometown, the fact that they're charging this much is ridiculous (IMHO). Yes, it could be that I'm eyeing this property as an SPG Mattress Run...but at today's rates it would be cheaper for me to drive (or even fly) to Houston for a stay!
Old Feb 8, 2007, 8:09 am

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Thanks for the recent posts and comments for this property. I believe I should try to rebook somewhere else for my stay next weekend!

Edit: I just checked and the other choices like Hilton and four seasons are either way overpriced or sold out. Appears I am stuck

Last edited by c230k78; Feb 8, 2007 at 8:18 am
Old Feb 8, 2007, 10:17 am

Programs: United GS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Thanks for the recent posts and comments for this property. I believe I should try to rebook somewhere else for my stay next weekend!

Edit: I just checked and the other choices like Hilton and four seasons are either way overpriced or sold out. Appears I am stuck
I have been finding some $149 a night rates at the Austin property. Austin has always been all over the board on hotel rates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.