Reload this Page >

Funny food names on menus

Old Jan 18, 2007, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club

As I was posting to the chicken wing thread, I was musing on the different ways wing shops describe/name their hottest sauce. "Melt your fillings" was the one I recalled. It reminded me of other funny named foods I have seen on menus. Now, I know the Brits serve some funny named stuff, but I'm guessing you'll find spotted dicks all over the place. I'm looking for the unique names only found in one spot.

My favorites come from a pair of related restaurants back where I'm from originally. I have no idea if Fitzwilly's still exists in Northampton, MA or Fitzsnuggy's is still on Riverdale Street in West Springfield.

Fitzsnuggy's named sandwiches for celebrities (no particular reason I know of). Their tuna salad was "Ike and Tina Tuna". Their cream cheese and olive sandwich was named Cream Abdul Jabbar.

I never discerned a pattern in Fitzwilly's food names. They had a m,ssive chocolate ice cream/cake dessert called "Daddy, I don't want to eat this".

In both places, they wouldn't take an order unless you used the exact name.

Others?
Old Jan 18, 2007, 2:57 pm

While in Saudi many years back, we snuck into a Thai place to grab a meal during prayer time. They had a menu item called Lady in Bath which was essentially a thin deep fried shrimp roll. (No other filling other than the shrimp and the wrap.) The tail of a long shrimp which stuck out of the bottom of the wrap looked like a pair of dainty female feet sticking out of a shower curtain (wrap).
Old Jan 25, 2007, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
At a restaurant in the town we lived in while in China, they served burro steaks with peppers. However, in translation it came out...

wait for it...

Spicy ... Meat.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 8:42 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
OK - that was funny. I am still laughing.
Well done.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Apparently universal in Southern NH, I came across this term on 3 menus in a week:

Steak Bomb - refers to a fully loaded steak & cheese sub (actually, the local terminology is grinder - pronounced grindah)
Old Jan 26, 2007, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
As seen in a restaurant in central Stockholm (under the seafood portion of the menu)...

Scampi Indiana

Hmmm.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
In the window of the Route 66 American Bar in Frankfurt they offered American Cocktails, Beer, Ice & Shake and, uh, Longdrinks.

Every now and then I find a funny name for a Chinese restaurant when I order in, like Foody Goody and Ho Lee Chow.

If you ever find yourself really bored in a hotel room, look up some of the names of hair salons in the phonebook. In SAV I saw

Hair I Am (say it with a Georgia accent)
Old Feb 17, 2007, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sunnyside Up.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 12:57 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
In Hawai`i, menus almost always have "Shrimps" (plural) instead of "Shrimp"
Old Feb 17, 2007, 2:17 am

Programs: AA Platunum
In a jazz bar in Tokyo where only drinks and snacks were served was an item called "Charm". I asked the waiter for better details and all he could say was "much charming". Even my husband who speaks basic japanese couldn't get a translation.
So we ordered it. It was a wicker bowl filled with assorted candies and crackers, each one individually wrapped. Imagine one potato chip in it's own sealed bag, or two peanuts in a little bag. Very silly to us, but quite charming to them.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 4:47 am

Programs: BA Gold A3 Gold DL Gold VY apologist
This guy's got you all beat.

http://www.rahoi.com/2006/03/may-i-take-your-order.php
Old Feb 17, 2007, 8:31 am
Oxb

Programs: Earthling, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by alanw
Yes, he does.

I still have tears in my eyes from laughing.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wanted to, I can also add "Hot Dog" to the list. To be honest, when I first heard of the term growing up as a child, I thought it was made out of dog meat.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
There is a lot of CIGARETTE PIE on Turkish menus...

an unfortunate literal translation of a delicious pastry...
Old Feb 18, 2007, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
I wanted to, I can also add "Hot Dog" to the list. To be honest, when I first heard of the term growing up as a child, I thought it was made out of dog meat.
Having said that, "Real Hot Dog" should be plentiful in Korea.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.