Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United.bomb wont take Canadian Credit card or address HELP how do I fix it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2007, 9:38 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold

OK this is a nightmare. United.com [mileage plus] wont take a Canadian credit card because it wont accept Canada in a drop down list. No problem I call Mileage Plus, they can't issue the ticket because its not for me.... India..... they send me to United.com Tech support......India. Tech support tells me to call Mileage Plus international...... wonderful it was 1 1/2 hrs to get a ticket...
United tech support said they have no idea how to change the system to take a Canadian Credit card.... yet I used my Canadian credit card in the past?

Help how do I go around this for next time?
Old Jan 21, 2007, 9:43 pm

This was the usual state of affairs until about November 2005, then the problem was resolved.

with the latest update of united.com, the problem as returned. Booking on www.united.ca simply redirects to www.united.com at the payment phase, and as you discovered, it defaults to US country code and declines payment as a result.

I do a 'book and hold' on www.united.com and call reservations; make sure that they waive the $15 fee when you ticket - I've been charged twice already since Jan 1st and have had to ask for a refund.

I've already logged this complaint and will speak to the station manager at my home airport again this week - the ticket agents were getting really tired of me coming in person to ticket, and I had a long conversation with the station manager as to WHY I had to ticket in person.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 9:56 pm

Here's what this 1K does:

City: Toronto

State: CA

ZIP: 90210

Works for me...

Last edited by YYZC2; Jan 22, 2007 at 4:28 am
Old Jan 22, 2007, 5:33 am

Programs: AC SE, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
I solved this problem a few years ago. When asked for a billing address, I give them a US friend's address. It has never failed yet and I can't be bothered to keep calling to try and solve this. There doesn't seem to be any matching of billing address to card number.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 5:53 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Wow you would think UNited would just fix it... ? thanks for some ideas I will try again today.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 9:05 am

Programs: UA
I also put "Roma" with a US state and zip code dependent of my taste of the day, never had any problem. If you want to make sure that you itinerary get sent to your home, you can also put "CAN" and postal code on the street line. Mine may be delayed in the "real" Roma, TX but I usually get them on time even without putting the extra info on the address line.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 9:47 am
Suspended

It worked for me last week, used a Canadian CC (with my US address... ) issues right away.

Don't talk to me about US' website though, doesn't matter the address, non-US card - rejected.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 9:53 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MapleLeaf
Don't talk to me about US' website though, doesn't matter the address, non-US card - rejected.

Sorry I dont understand your last comment..... US web site? do you mean US Airways?
Old Aug 16, 2007, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by exbayern
I've already logged this complaint and will speak to the station manager at my home airport again this week - the ticket agents were getting really tired of me coming in person to ticket, and I had a long conversation with the station manager as to WHY I had to ticket in person.

To respond to myself:

My Lufthansa summer has been interrupted with US travel, and I currently have five unticketed reservations on hold, with no way to ticket.

I have just spent 2.5 on the phone with ICC, IT support, Customer Relations, to no resolution.

this is becoming a real issue - I can't believe that I am begging UA to take my money and my only recourse is to go to the airport every time.

Any suggestions? I am FED UP with this process
Old Aug 16, 2007, 2:33 pm
Suspended

To respond to myself:

My Lufthansa summer has been interrupted with US travel, and I currently have five unticketed reservations on hold, with no way to ticket.

I have just spent 2.5 on the phone with ICC, IT support, Customer Relations, to no resolution.

this is becoming a real issue - I can't believe that I am begging UA to take my money and my only recourse is to go to the airport every time.

Any suggestions? I am FED UP with this process
A different carrier. I can't believe one would tolerate this.

(Or what about a travel agent???)
Old Aug 16, 2007, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
A different carrier. I can't believe one would tolerate this.

(Or what about a travel agent???)
I am now on the phone with person #13. I CAN'T tolerate this. It's a joke that I am sitting here willing to give them thousands of dollars of business at this time and they don't want to acknowledge THEIR issue and take my business.

If another carrier served my US routes I would fly with them.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 2:44 pm
Suspended

I am now on the phone with person #13. I CAN'T tolerate this. It's a joke that I am sitting here willing to give them thousands of dollars of business at this time and they don't want to acknowledge THEIR issue and take my business.

If another carrier served my US routes I would fly with them.
Travel Agent?

Also, I'd consider a letter to Glenn Tilton. Seriously.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 2:49 pm

Letter is going out tomorrow. I just burst a blood vessel I believe and hung up on person #13 rather than tell her how I really feel.

Sad to think that they are loosing so much money from international customers - the tickets agents at my home airport have told me that they often hear the same rant from people, so I know that I am not alone.

I'm sure that most just give up though and book on www.aircanada.ca or other sites.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 3:09 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Angry Nightmare

Two things I do to get around the problem # 1 when it asks for a US postal address i put in the TV show 90210 that seems to work with my Credit card.. PS the United Agent told me to do that... it was a "back door" to the system. However that will not always WORK>>>?
If you are IN Canada you CAN use your credit card on the united.ca site however it does not seem to work when you are outside of North America for credit cards... Also the .ca site will sometimes MOVE you to the .com site for certain functions... then you cannot complete any transaction.
PS i have sent an email to the 1k web line and an email to Tilton and i have not had a reply in over 3 months....
Old Aug 16, 2007, 8:22 pm

After this experience earlier today I went for a long walk before trying yet again to ticket my future flights, in order to reduce my blood pressure. This time I was surprised to actually reach HNL, and the agent was able to ticket all flights, reverse the $15 booking fee for each, process a paper discount travel certificate, manage exchange rates, and also empathized about my plight. The transactions were completed efficiently and with a wonderful attitude. Total time on the phone was less than 20 minutes to complete all transactions.

Great service, great recovery, but really this issue should not occur in the first place.

My lesson learned - I will in future call UA around this time in hopes of reaching this team again.

UA will receive a letter from me, and the agent will receive the positive feedback as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.