Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carry-Ons - max allowed?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2007, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Carry-Ons - max allowed?

Sorry, I did a quick search and didn't find anything and I need this info ASAP. I usually have to check something, but this time I think I can get away without doing so. The United rep I spoke with was very vague about this and I couldn't pin him down for a more precise answer.

I've got one carry-on, which I know is ok. It conforms to the 9X14X22. I'm also told I can additionally take a laptop. My laptop is rather big (17" screen) and it came with a backpack as a carrying case. It's not one of those huge hiking backpacks or anything, but it is rather big. I can fit the laptop and a lot more in it.

Can I get away without checking anything? I'd really appreciate some quick info on this. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place. Thanks.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 6:31 am

You should be okay as long as the primary contents of the backpack consist of your laptop and its accessories. If you try to pack a lot of other stuff in that bag, you should be prepared to check one of your two bags. Here is UA's rule:
For travel worldwide on United, you may carry on one bag and one personal item such as a purse, briefcase, or laptop computer.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks Dave. I was kinda hoping to throw some miscellany in there (iPod, phone charger, maybe a few shirts, etc.), in addition to my laptop stuff. I take it you're saying: Don't overdo it.

I don't get it though. Space is space. It either conforms size-wise or it doesn't. I'll check out the link. Thanks again!

Originally Posted by Dave M
You should be okay as long as the primary contents of the backpack consist of your laptop and its accessories. If you try to pack a lot of other stuff in that bag, you should be prepared to check one of your two bags. Here is UA's rule:
Old Jan 23, 2007, 6:48 am
eap

Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by pewannabe
Thanks Dave. I was kinda hoping to throw some miscellany in there (iPod, phone charger, maybe a few shirts, etc.), in addition to my laptop stuff. I take it you're saying: Don't overdo it.
You can definitely put all of your electronic gizmos in your laptop bag... I typically have my phone, laptop & camera chargers, camera, ipod, sometimes a GPS... maybe more. The shirts are where the line might be drawn -- you can easily fit a few small items of clothing (I often throw a hat or gloves in if I'm traveling somewhere cold), but shirts are likely to beef it up too much. I think the general rule for the "personal" item is that it must fit under a seat, although I typically place it above if the flight is light on carry-on items.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Assuming you're leaving from a U.S. gateway, the most important thing is to only have TWO bags total. When the security checkers see 3, they call you out and (1) either make you stuff one bag inside of another or (2) make you check one through.

Big laptop bag + rollaboard should be no problem.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 6:59 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
I frequently travel with a rollaboard and a medium sized backpack and have never had a problem. The backpack easily holds my laptop, though the laptop is only about 13" by 11". The backpack is about 19" high, 15" wide, and 8" deep. The key as others state is to not over stuff it. My other use for it is to carry my workout gear which is shoes (Size 14! They take up most of the volume...) shirt, shorts, mp-3 player, and lifting gloves. I also usually get a lot of cellphone accessories and magazines in there too.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UNITED959
Assuming you're leaving from a U.S. gateway, the most important thing is to only have TWO bags total. When the security checkers see 3, they call you out and (1) either make you stuff one bag inside of another or (2) make you check one through.

Big laptop bag + rollaboard should be no problem.
This is what I thought. I will only have two items total. But I was hoping I could stuff whatever I could into these two items. I just don't want to take the chance they'll make me check something. I'll have time contraints on both legs when deplaning and don't want to wait to pick up checked bags.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
I always have a 22" rollaboard (Costco ^ ) and my computer bag. If one fits under the seat (as others have said) you're fine.

If you're one of the women I've seen recently, with a full-size rollaboard, full size computer bag, oversized purse, plus 1-2 shopping bags...that's not cool. (But that's another thread)
Old Jan 23, 2007, 7:22 am

Programs: United MP (Platinum), AS (75K), AA (GM)
I travel with a larger carry on and a pretty big backpack with a 17" notebook stuffed with misc items all of the time. Never had a problem. I try to stuff the backpack under the seat in front of me though when I sit in Y, especially if it's a short haul flight. And sometimes, it doesn't fit completely underneath... Haven't had a problem with that... yet.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
If you are in business class, would gate agents be more flexible with your carry-on?
Old Jan 23, 2007, 8:04 am
eap

Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA 1MM
I'll have time contraints on both legs when deplaning and don't want to wait to pick up checked bags.
The wait (and potential for lost luggage) are the primary reasons I imagine most FTs avoid checking bags whenever possible. I only check bags when utilizing the airlines as a "free" transcon same-day express mail service for my self (i.e., moving).
Old Jan 23, 2007, 8:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Dave M
You should be okay as long as the primary contents of the backpack consist of your laptop and its accessories.
Read the rule again (this time with appropriate emphasis)
you may carry on one bag and one personal item such as a purse, briefcase, or laptop computer.
There is no requirement that you have to have a computer in your "personal item". Those are just examples. We've never had any problem taking a backpack (without any computer in it) as a second carry-on.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 11:53 am

I think you missed my point.

As long as it's a laptop, it should comply with the rule, even though the case might be much more bulky than what would be reasonably expected for the items in the "such as" description in the rule. However, if instead of or in addition to a laptop it becomes just another carryon bag of close to the same size as a rollaboard, I believe the risk of having to check, as others have also stated, will be elevated.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 12:03 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
since this is not UAL Related

And to the OP - you may be flying on a united flight, but it isn't just UA that creates the rules about carry on, so it's not really UAL specific.

it would also help to know what gateways you are flying in/out of as that could make some difference....

I am moving this to travel buzz..
thnaks

squeakr
MOD UAL
Old Jan 23, 2007, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry, I did a quick search and didn't find anything and I need this info ASAP. I usually have to check something, but this time I think I can get away without doing so. The United rep I spoke with was very vague about this and I couldn't pin him down for a more precise answer.

I've got one carry-on, which I know is ok. It conforms to the 9X14X22. I'm also told I can additionally take a laptop. My laptop is rather big (17" screen) and it came with a backpack as a carrying case. It's not one of those huge hiking backpacks or anything, but it is rather big. I can fit the laptop and a lot more in it.

Can I get away without checking anything? I'd really appreciate some quick info on this. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place. Thanks.
I've flown with a big laptop bag + rollaboard. I've been questioned once with a wheeled laptop bag (it looked like another rollaboard) but when they looked closer it was ok.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.