Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Park Central, Dallas, TX [Master Thread]

Westin Park Central, Dallas, TX [Master Thread]

Old Jul 13, 2005, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, *wood PLT (ambassador service) and more
Arrow Westin Park Central, Dallas, TX [Master Thread]

Hi, am planning a weekend getaway to Dallas this Fri and Sat night and am looking at the Westin Park Central. Does anyone have any comments on this hotel? I did a search but didnt find anything.

I did look at the Westin City Center and when I searched for reviews on here I saw the horror so I quickly stopped looking at that one. I looked at it originally because I wanted to be closer to downtown but the reviews talked me out of it :P

Aside from looking for reviews for the Westin Park Central I would like suggestions for what to do in Dallas on late Friday night (wont be arriving till after 9-10PM), all day Saturday, and half-day Sunday.

So far I only have planned to visit Salon Pompeo with my boyfriend to get our hair cut (saw it on Sheer Dallas, the TV show, and we just HAVE to try it) so please please please provide suggestions! I would like to visit the Art Museum but other than that I have no clue... I have never been to Dallas.

Thanks FT!

Corey
Old Jul 14, 2005, 12:38 am

Location: SWUSA / AA PLAT, SPG PLAT, AMEX CENTURION, HHONORS Diamond
This property will likely be semi-empty, since it appears to be focused on business travelers who won't be around for the weekend. I received the largest suite upgrade I'e ever received at a starwood property at this Park Central a couple of years ago, though, again, it was a weekend, I was a newly-minted PLAT, and it was post-911 and a ghost town here (and a rainy weekend to boot). We have not been back only because we prefer the Westin Galleria due to the physical attachment to the mall.

We like this Park Central, but it is not our favorite starwood in the Dallas area (Westin Galleria is, because its attached to a fun mall w/ ice skating rink). Either Westin (Galleria, or this one) are centrally-located for trips into the downtown area, though you will need a car if you stay at this Park Central whereas you could possibly do without a car at the Westin/Galleria.

As for things to do - I am not familiar enough w/ the Dallas area to advise on recreation. On Fridays, the Dallas Morning News inserts a 25-40page "weekend" guide of current events into their paper...I strongly advise you get the FRI edition when you hit the ground and find this insert...tons of ideas on weekend events, and tons of restaurant reviews also.

For my family, this would not be the ideal DESTINATION hotel, per se, but it makes for a nice "jumping off" site for trips into the downtown area, or heading north as well, as it is positioned on a newly-constructed major interstate interchange. IOW - not a bad choice at all.

Last edited by ILUVCITIBANK; Jul 14, 2005 at 12:41 am
Old Jul 14, 2005, 1:45 am

Programs: UAL1K,US Chairman's,wood plat,Marriott plat
I stayed there last month (20 nights) on my business trip. $10 for self park each day, they were doing some construction at the hotel front entrance.

First five nights were upgraded to the corner mini suite, it was an ok room tiny bit bigger than a regular room, really old carpet, old bathroom. The breakfast at the club lounge was ok, no more evening snack etc@evening, only in the morning.

The last week of my stay, they upgraded me to the executive suite on the top floor, bigger room with wet bar dining room living room 1 1/2 bath, much nicer but still old and the carpet smell.

Try Westin Galleria, the rate are higher but better and free self park too.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 11:22 am

I use to stay there a lot. May be a total of 200 nights. It is plain but clean. I use to get upgraded as a plat to very large suites (the size of apartments).

I now stay at the Westin City Center, and it is ok. It is more convenient to where I need to go and in the morning during the week the drive from the Park Central to downtown can be dicey.

As to what to do in Dallas on a weekend night, there are many things that you can do. Depends on what you like to do. Many restaurants, bars, clubs, etc...
Old Jul 14, 2005, 9:41 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, LH Senator, VA Velocity Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond
It is a decent hotel, but not really near anything fun. Wish there was a better Starwood prop near SMU/North Park.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, *wood PLT (ambassador service) and more
Thanks all for the feedback! Based on your reviews I have opted for the Westin Galleria instead; heres to hope for a good, fun, weekend trip!
Old Jan 24, 2007, 9:06 am

Westin Park Central, Dallas, TX

Does anyone have an updated report of the Westin Park Central, Dallas? I am taking my wife on a surprise trip for her birthday and was contimplating this hotel.

Thanks.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA GS, 3MM, Titanium Elite for life
unfortunately, I stay at this location a lot. It is rather worn down and is not central to anything interesting.

If you need to be north of downtown, consider the galeria location. Also, if you can stay downtown there are better starwood choices.

-p
Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 2 MM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Westin Park Central - More feedback

Agreed. I spent 40+ nights there last year. The lower rates reflect the general condition of the property. As Westins go, it's definitely at the lower end. I would recommend the Westin Stonebriar Resort as a better alternative in a much nicer Northern suburb. ^
Old Jan 25, 2007, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum
W Victory Plaza

Don't go to Stonebriar, not much to do in Frisco for the weekend. If you want to stay in Dallas at a *wood property, stay at the new W. Great area, it will be fantastic in a couple years but there is already some really cool places going in around the AA Center.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA - LFT GLD 1MM, UA - 2P, SPG - LFT Plat, Hyatt - Plat, HH - Gold, Avis - CHM
as someone who has been there off and on over the past year, the only thing i can say good about the hotel is its location. and tahts only because my project is close by. go with the galleria b/c its literally in that mall, stonebriar in frisco if you like golf or want remote location, w to be close to most of the action and also the newest hotel
Old Feb 5, 2007, 10:13 am

I went ahead and left the reservation at the Westin Park Central. I used points and made the reservation while it was still a category 2 hotel.

I have to say that it was a very positive experience. We were assigned a suite on the executive floor. It was very spacious an obvious that the hotel is in the process of upgrading.

The club lounge was average on the ammenities but first class in the service and hospitality that they provided.

I was extremely pleased overall. Loved the hotel's location and the wonderful staff. After staying at the other two Westins in Dallas- downtown and Galleria- I have to say that I prefer the Park Central.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 11:55 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
I agree that it's the staff that is the best aspect of this hotel. I always get suite upgrades every time I stay and the location is pretty good. I haven't stayed at the Galleria and City Center, but considering that I get the same rate as the Park Central as I do at the more run-down Sheraton Suites Market Center, I'd prefer the Park Central. ^
Old Sep 24, 2008, 12:39 am

Programs: Starwood Plat, HHonors Diamond
Westin Park Central-Dallas

I was surprised there wasn't a master thread on this property. I would like to share a few of my experiences at this hotel.

I live in Houston and was an evacuee because of Hurricane Ike. My house wasn't damaged, but a lot of trees around my home were destroyed and uprooted. Of course, my home was without power for 8 days. Knowing my neighborhood and home, (power goes out at the drop of a hat) I booked a stay at this Westin property.

The staff was outstanding. They bent over backwards to make my cat and I feel at home. They upgraded me to a standard suite. I used some points to pay for a few days and cash for other days.

It used to be a Sheraton when it first opened (1982) until it changed to Westin in 1998. I have frequented this property since the change.

Its not a elegant Westin by any means. Most of the guests are business travelers. However, I can't stop bragging about the staff. They truly made the stay enjoyable.

A few things about the hotel I noted:

-Executive lounge is only open from 6am-9am Mon-Fri

-Health club is attached to hotel and its a $10 per day fee for guests. They also have a 24 hour Westin Workout room on the 3rd floor, but I like the health club much more (They have a basketball court!).

-parking garage is $10 per day. There is free parking on the other side of the street (Banner and Merit) across from Benihana's

-free wifi in the lobby and 2nd floor/$9.95 in room

-no concierge on property (they used to back in the late 90s/early 2000s)

My last stay was just the weekend before. I went to see the Red Sox play in Arlington and the hotel booked a conference group that was comprised of 300+ kids that were out of control. It was a "Rethinking Education" conference. Alternative learning was what I was told. Thats the fancy way of saying home school, I suppose.

You will love this....Kids were running around barefoot all over the hotel, jumping up and down and jamming the elevators, rearranging furniture in the lobby and on guest floors, sliding down escalators, screaming and knocking on guest room doors (including ours), kids in sleeping bags in the lobby...etc etc etc.

Some of the older kids (teenagers) were outside smoking dope and one guy (we called him Darth Vader because he walked around in nothing but a long black cloak) was taking off this young girl's shirt and "handling" her.

A few staff members told me they were not allowed to say anything to the kids or parents due to the fact it would "offend the kids and stunt their learning". Their hands were tied. It made for a very unpleasant stay. I felt like the circus was in town and they were staying at the Westin Park Central.

The stay before a few months back, same situation. Uncontrolled loud kids from a basketball tournament and soccer tournament made for a unpleasant stay. I will say they weren't as bad as the alternative learning kids.

The reason I can overlook these two unfortunate stays is because all the other times have been outstanding, like my recent stay this past time, due to the evacuation of Ike.

Thank you Westin Park Central in Dallas.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Sep 24, 2008 at 11:23 am Reason: Great report! Merged into master thread has now been added to list of master threads.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 1:11 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by domerun
It was a "Rethinking Education" conference. Alternative learning was what I was told. Thats the fancy way of saying home school, I suppose.
Not quite sure where you interpret home school out of this. From your description and the name of the program I would assume that this was a conference for disciplinary schools, aka the schools they send kids to when they get kicked out of regular public schools.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.