Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A great online map for Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

A great online map for Hong Kong

www.centamap.com shows every building in HK by the name at top zoom level. Just select English first, then enter a street- or building name and you can zoom it in to the building. One of the best onlinemaps I have ever seen.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 11:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Indeed. http://www.ypmap.com is pretty good too - and has transportation overlays and all sorts of other stuff.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 10:20 am
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
The two sites mentioned are the classics, but this thread got me wondering about what the hive mind in Internet land thinks about this, so:

http://del.icio.us --> search "hongkong maps" yields some interesting sites, among the usual dross, such as:
Wikimapia
superfuture
MTR Station/Exit maps

along with some sites for iPod Photo compatible maps.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by christep
Indeed. http://www.ypmap.com is pretty good too - and has transportation overlays and all sorts of other stuff.
Not easy to use though. Far from self explaining. Transportation overlay would be handy. I couldn't get it working.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 10:25 pm

Programs: CX Silver
Originally Posted by HKtraveller
Not easy to use though. Far from self explaining. Transportation overlay would be handy. I couldn't get it working.
I am actually of the opposite opinion, that ypmap is easier to use than centamap. To each his or her own, I suppose.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 11:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MisterTanaka
I am actually of the opposite opinion, that ypmap is easier to use than centamap. To each his or her own, I suppose.
Actually, taking another look with internet explorer I agree with you. At my first attempt firefox didn't even show the ENG button.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 5:54 am

At my first attempt firefox didn't even show the ENG button.
I agree they could make that ENG link easier to find!
Old Jan 27, 2007, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MisterTanaka
I agree they could make that ENG link easier to find!
There is another problem I couldn't get solved: Is there a way that they show Street- Estate- and Building names in English and Chinese together?
Old Jan 28, 2007, 5:34 am

I can't say -- I've never looked for that feature, as I'll usually end up cross-referencing a bilingual printed map if needed.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 3:46 pm

Programs: Dirt
Just noticed that Google Maps has loaded street maps. The system has some kinks to iron out still, such as unable to search by address, the buildings are not identified, and the streets don't overlay perfectly with the aerial images. But it's a start.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by msb0b
Just noticed that Google Maps has loaded street maps. The system has some kinks to iron out still, such as unable to search by address, the buildings are not identified, and the streets don't overlay perfectly with the aerial images. But it's a start.
Thats why YPmap and centamap (if you need Chinese and English on one page) are so much better. They have all you need. No need to search any further.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Great maps of HK

Thanks for the link to a new tool for map of Hong Kong. The bilingual details of building names and street names are incredible. Very helpful indeed!
Old Feb 17, 2007, 10:57 pm

There is another problem I couldn't get solved: Is there a way that they show Street- Estate- and Building names in English and Chinese together?
I believe if you double-click on a building in ypmap you will get the english and chinese in a pop-up box

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.