Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel National, Luxury Collection, Moscow [Master Thread]

Hotel National, Luxury Collection, Moscow [Master Thread]

Old Dec 16, 2005, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO Plat, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Diamond, CO Pres. Plus, Hertz #1 Gold
Arrow Hotel National, Luxury Collection, Moscow [Master Thread]

The Meridien National is across the street from the Kremlin close by the tourist entrance to it, on the same street as the Sheraton (Tverskaya), but saving you the walk down. Tverskaya, and it has been a while for me as well since I was last in Moscow, is one of the main shopping streets. At the Meridien, Lenin held court there back in the day, you are a 5-10 minute walk to Red Square, etc. A beautiful old hotel. Stayed at the Sheraton my last time there, some years ago as I wrote, and it was perfectly fine as far as I was concerned although further away from Kremlin and Red Square. Im a bit of a fast walker, though, and enjoyed it even in mid-winter.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 5:12 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by From NYC
At the Meridien, Lenin held court there back in the day,
Lenin and his wife stayed in room 107 at the Le Meridien National

--
Old Jan 25, 2007, 2:00 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Starwood Meridien Moscow -- The National (great but grrrrr and mooning the Kremlin)

Issues and facts:

Issue #1
Recent 4 night stay in Moscow; booked/confirmed on Starwood at $350+ vat per day (I have confirmation, etc.) with Kremlin view -- arrived and asked for comp upgrade for AMEX Plat -- given nice room with Kremlin view (but essentially the same as promised for $350). At checkout the room was billed at $402+vat per day (for purposes of clarity I am doing the Ruble conversions and the difference between booking and stay is minimal). So I was essentially overbilled more than $200+ for the room. At checkout, I questioned the amount but the desk would only say that it was the "Appropriate" rate. I did not realize the full overbill until we got to BA lounge.

Issue #2
The room was hot really unbelievably hot. We kept the inner of the double windows open in hopes for a draft but it was miserable. It was not possible to open the other window. We had the radiator turned off (or to minimum) -- and checked (and rechecked).
Alas, the AC does not work this time of year. Daily complaints to the desk received sympathy and visits to check radiator and AC -- but no relief or movement to another room (I requested twice). I asked for a fan and was told. "Only one in Hotel and it is being used by another room!"

I enjoyed being naked in the room with my wife for five days (the only way to make it tolerable_ -- but it was still miserable and did put a damper on guests coming up for talks (defeating the purpose of having a room with a sitting area).

I really can't understate how how it was -- dripping sweat, sleeplessness, etc. My wife had a new robe from Paris and it bled color onto the sweat dampened sheets.

Other than these two issues the hotel is wonderful. The staff is intelligent, courteous, and friendly. You can see that they want to do customer service right -- it just might take a few more years to get there (e.g. someone should have BOUGHT a fan -- and we tried but could not find one) or to catch up with the service at the Europa in St. Petersburg

On the other hand, I suppose I am one of the few to "moon" the Kremlin over a five day period and live to tell about it (although, as we stay at the Starwood Park Lane in London, I'll stay on my toes) -- and I'm sure that somewhere on Kremlin CCTV security cameras there are pictures of an aging American writer/film director splayed Garfield-like against the glass of a fourth floor window of the National in futile attempt to keep cool.

So what to do? As above, the hotel says the charge is "appropriate". Are these Starwood issues or should I simply dispute the charge with AMEX?

We always use Starwood -- both for us and crew -- and we wont change regardless. I've never asked for points comp but think #2 above really does merit at least 10,000 points (a nights stay in London for example).

Off base? ... or what is the best way to present my case?

Cheers,
drabics
Old Oct 18, 2007, 3:52 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
I had a very nice stay this summer at the Mridien National. Upgraded to a small, but lovely, junior suite. Did not have a Kremlin view, but had one from the breakfast dining room (included in my rate). The breakfast was one of the finest anywhere (fabulous pastries). The location is perhaps the best in Moscow. Service was very friendly. Highly recommended.

I stayed at the Sheraton a few years ago and definitely not as luxurious as the Mridien. As I remember the walk is about 20 -30 minutes but YMMV.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 4:05 pm

Programs: USAir Gold, Delta Slvr, *Wood Plat
Headed to Moscow in 2 weeks - any recent updates?

Hi all,

Any recent news on the Le Royal Meridien Moscow? I'm headed there week of 9/15.

One minor thing... was only able to get a room with two single beds - as the Kings are sold out already (it can be tough to get a room in Moscow!) and only suites (very exp) are available at this time.

Any chance they will upgrade a lowly SPG Gold? Any fellow Gold members have a story to tell about this?

Also want to arrange car service... has the Meridien taken care of you in the past?

Many thanks.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 4:17 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by cwoog
...Any chance they will upgrade a lowly SPG Gold? Any fellow Gold members have a story to tell about this?...
Doubtful, seeing as they don't participate in Starwood Preferred Guest. But, YMMV.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Sep 3, 2008, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Doubtful, seeing as they don't participate in Starwood Preferred Guest. But, YMMV.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Hmmm. I seem to be getting some mixed messages regarding this hotel's SPG participating status from internal data. Let me check on this and I'll get back to the group.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Sep 3, 2008, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Hmmm. I seem to be getting some mixed messages regarding this hotel's SPG participating status from internal data. Let me check on this and I'll get back to the group.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Okay...this appears to be the deal here...they participate on a limited basis:

SPG Participation Policy
Le Royal Mridien National has limited participation in the Starwood Preferred Guest program. The hotel offers Starpoints and other in-hotel benefits, but is not currently accepting Starwood Preferred Guest award redemptions or any special Starwood Preferred Guest award rates.

So, the correct answer would be "maybe, if a Preferred Room is available at check-in."

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Sep 10, 2008, 12:12 pm

Programs: USAir Gold, Delta Slvr, *Wood Plat
Car Service from DME - 5,200 Rubles ($200)

Hopefully trying to get an answer on car service from fellow travelers to Russia.

The concierge says the rate from the airport is basically $200. Is this in line with what you have experienced in the past? In contrast, how much is a taxi? Thanks.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 3:33 am
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
Does this limited participation mean no stay/night count?
Since this location seems far superior to Sheraton, we would like to stay here.
However, if they do not upgrade Platinum members and do not count stay/night, we might stay at Sheraton(which is cheaper, also).
Old Dec 22, 2008, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Tak
Does this limited participation mean no stay/night count?
Since this location seems far superior to Sheraton, we would like to stay here.
However, if they do not upgrade Platinum members and do not count stay/night, we might stay at Sheraton(which is cheaper, also).
Read the bold print in post #8 and let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Dec 28, 2008, 11:31 pm

Programs: AmEx Centurion, SPG Platinum; LH Senator; Sixt Platinum; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by cwoog
Hopefully trying to get an answer on car service from fellow travelers to Russia.

The concierge says the rate from the airport is basically $200. Is this in line with what you have experienced in the past? In contrast, how much is a taxi? Thanks.
This is fine if this is Mercedes S-classe or A8 delivery. In case you want to understand transportation services option, you might want to check www.sixt-rent.ru At least Sheraton has a Sixt station at the hotel, so you have some options there. You can go down as low as 66EUR in case you are ready to settle for Ford Focus.

http://www.sixt-rent.ru/ru/driver/se...r_airport.html

This page in Russian, but you can understand the categories. Your sixt platinum discount will be applicable only in case you book transfer, which is not billed to the room. This is quite weird policy and I don't like it, but this is how it works in Moscow.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 2:40 am

Programs: EX-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
A little bit more in english:

http://www.sixt-rent.ru/en/driver/se...r_airport.html
Old Dec 29, 2008, 3:52 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
I have not used the taxi services in Moscow in a couple of years, but the following site would be a good reference. http://www.go-to.ru/en/catalog/transfers/index.php

I had a lovely stay at the National a couple of years ago. Did not have the Kremlin view, but lovely room and great breakfast. Interesting, I just stayed at the Park Lane and was so cold in October. There was no heat and it was cold outside. They sent a space heater to my room, but it was very slow to warm up the room. I was not very comfortable.

I must say I love the hot Moscow rooms, which are not uncommon in Russia. Personally I prefer that to freezing, but frankly, one should be able to adjust the room temperature to ones liking.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 12:54 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Does this property have a lounge for PLT members?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.