Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

UNOFFICIAL list of hotels that will change category after Feb. 1, 2007

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UNOFFICIAL list of hotels that will change category after Feb. 1, 2007

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2007, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Lightbulb UNOFFICIAL list of hotels that will change category after Feb. 1, 2007

Last updated 9:00 Tuesday January 30, 2007 Pacific Time

I understand lurker’s hands are tied regarding this issue. So instead of venting our frustrations at him, why don’t we contact the hotels directly and ask them whether they will change category after Feb. 1, 2007. I just emailed few properties I’m planning to stay next month and received first reply within 30 minutes:

St. Regis Shanghai, 4 --> 5

Le Meridien Khao Lak, 1 --> 2 (thanks jayzee9)

Aladdin in LAS, 4 --> 5

LM Plaza Athenee BKK, 2 --> 3

Sheraton Manhattan, 4 --> 5

Sheraton New York Hotel and Towers, 4 --> 5

Westin Charlotte, 3 --> 4 (? maybe)

Sheraton Tiberias 1 --> 2
Sheraton Moriah Tel Aviv 2 --> 3
Sheraton hotel & Towers Tel Aviv 3 --> 4
Sheraton Eilat 1--> 2

Blue Palace Resort & Spa, Crete 5 --> 6

Santa Marina Resort & Villas, Mykonos 5 --> 6

Le Meridien Ile de Pins (New Caledonia) 5 --> 6

Westin diplomat hollywood and diplomat country club 4 --> 5

St. Regis Monarch Beach 5 --> 6

St. Regis Aspen 5 --> 6 (thanks SKI)

Please add other properties to this thread once they responded to your inquiries.

Last edited by rdchen; Jan 30, 2007 at 12:42 pm
Old Jan 25, 2007, 9:51 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
This is being closed temporarily for review by the moderator team. Thanks for understanding.

ldsant
*wood Moderator

Thanks for everybody's messages. Sometimes things are closed due to other reasons from TOS.

Last edited by ldsant; Jan 26, 2007 at 10:50 am
Old Jan 26, 2007, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
In order to avoid Inundating hotels’ inbox, let’s only contact the properties that we intend to stay within the next 18 months.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 11:32 am

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
I've got it from on high that the Aladdin in LAS goes from a current CAT4 to a CAT5 on 1 FEB 07.

That means from 12k - 16k per night, depending on season.

Take it to the bank.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 11:36 am

often having rates at less than 100 bux a night, i find that kind of hard to believe, but i guess we'll see...

Originally Posted by sbtinme
I've got it from on high that the Aladdin in LAS goes from a current CAT4 to a CAT5 on 1 FEB 07.

Take it to the bank.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 11:47 am
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
Rhetorical Question:

Originally Posted by ldsant
Thanks for everybody's messages. Sometimes things are closed due to other reasons from TOS.
Very interesting. Care to elaborate?
Old Jan 26, 2007, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!

Take it to the bank.
Cat 5 for Aladdin? What the yup, with that in mind, I bet most all of decent cat 4 will become 5.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 12:12 pm

Programs: SPG
This might be a stupid question but if I book now with points and have to cancel the reservation in the future the points will be credited back, correct?

I have been less then happy with SPG lately and this might be the thing that keeps me from ever booking with them again. I have been platinum for the last two years, gold the year prior with all leisure stays but it look like they may get zero business from me this year. Guess I will wait till I see the category changes. I actually booked a hotel other then Starwood this month for the first time in four years. If the possible category change for Aladdin is any indication of things to come they might lose more business then just my business.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
LM Plaza Athenee BKK 2 > 3

Most definitely a certainty.

In fact, they tried to charge Cat 3 rates already!!!
Old Jan 26, 2007, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Austin99
This might be a stupid question but if I book now with points and have to cancel the reservation in the future the points will be credited back, correct?
Yes.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 1:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium
Westin Maui

I assume they're slated for a cat 5 -> 6 bump, but emailed them anyway since I have two stays planned there in the next 18 mos. I received a reply this morning: "As of today, we haven't received any word that we may or will become a Category 6 property." Here's to hoping they stay at a "low" cat 5...
Old Jan 26, 2007, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
I would be VERY surprised if the Sheraton Old San Juan does not creep from a 3 to a 4. If you have travel plans to SJU, this hotel is an absolute steal if you use the 50PER reward redemption special for Plats...just 3,500pts/night (for now).
Old Jan 26, 2007, 1:56 pm

Programs: TK Gold, Etihad Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold.
New York Hotels

The Sheraton Manhatten, and then Sheraton New York Hotel and Towers will both go to Catagory 5 on February 1st.

Cheers,

Timo
Old Jan 26, 2007, 2:31 pm

Take it to the bank.

Considering that the hotel often run promotion rates as low as 49 dollars during weekdays, I find it completely incredulous for SPG to rate the Aladdin as a CAT 5.

The Aladdin should have been a CAT 3 on weekdays, and maybe a CAT 4 on weekends. There are so many good hotels on the strip I will have to be real desperate to spend 12K points for a room there.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by PCheng
Considering that the hotel often run promotion rates as low as 49 dollars during weekdays, I find it completely incredulous for SPG to rate the Aladdin as a CAT 5.

The Aladdin should have been a CAT 3 on weekdays, and maybe a CAT 4 on weekends. There are so many good hotels on the strip I will have to be real desperate to spend 12K points for a room there.
Because Starwood awards can be redeemed on weekend nights, without capacity controls, where rooms are often $300+/night. Makes sense, though the Aladdin is a dump.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.