Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Le Meridien Rio (left Starwood in 2007)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2006, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
Thumbs down Le Meridien Rio (left Starwood in 2007)

Just noticed this property is leaving the chain, not just SPG. I have 2 paid stays there in mid January so I am under the window.

Would appreciate any reports on this property. Now I am worried about it.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 3:29 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
This is TERRIBLE news!!! The LM Rio is a great property in a super central location.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 3:48 pm

I agree it's bad news. I stayed there recently and had great treatment as a gold. If it's leaving starwood I'll likely have to stay at a non starwood hotel next time I'm in Rio.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Never stayed there but I have seen the hotel. I have stayed at the Sheraton which is OK but not great location.

Tell me more about your experiences at this property, well those experiences you can report on that is!!!
Old Dec 30, 2006, 4:11 pm

Wow I am really disappointed in hearing this news.

The Sheraton Hotel and Towers raised it's cat this year from 2>3 and is not worth it. The location is out of the way and the rooms are very dated with no in room internet. The AC works very poorly if at all.

I will only stay at Marriott while in Rio.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 4:43 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
wow

Does anyone know WHY?

This property was in an AWESOME location. Starwood has a VERY poor showing in Brasil, and this was the ONLY redeeming property they had. This sucks.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 4:49 pm

Programs: aa exp and ck, spg plat, hz pc, dl life gld, marriott life plat, others
Whew -- was just preparing to cancel my June 07 reservations at Sheraton Rio to switch to the Meridien based on all the FT feedback -- would have been quite annoying to voluntarily lose the first then be dumped out of the LM stay at the end of January.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

8M: do not book at LM in RIO, check their website for details.

Is this property not high enough to meet SPG standards or what? Still looking for a report on the LM.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Are we talking about Le Méridien Copacabana on Avenida Atlântica?

A few days ago I made a res there for Feb 2, 2007.
7000 points were withdrawn,
received confirmation # and confirming e-mail.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MrHalliday
Are we talking about Le Méridien Copacabana on Avenida Atlântica?

A few days ago I made a res there for Feb 2, 2007.
7000 points were withdrawn,
received confirmation # and confirming e-mail.

Yes we are so you better do a double check to see if it will be honoured. Check out the property's own website at SPG and you will see the news of its departure on Jan 31.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 5:40 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
William, any idea why they are leaving the chain?

Hopefully there will be a W Hotel to take it's place, right? RIGHT?
Old Dec 31, 2006, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Rats! rasalphleamb son of a turnip!I was saving up points for a seven night stay at this property!!!!This is very bad news!Both Sheratons are on the other side of town which is very inconvenient!
Old Dec 31, 2006, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

If Le Meridien Copa was to change to a W or other designation, I think it would have been posted. The official statement is that is it leaving SPG as of Jan 31. Period.

The question is whether SPG will find another property in RIO to replace this one. I can only think there are lots available like the Cesar properties that used to be part of the *W chain.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 12:32 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by vivrant
William, any idea why they are leaving the chain? ...
No clue. Even if I did know, however, I would not be able to say.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Jan 3, 2007, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
The building currently known as Le Méridien in Rio is owned by Previ, a pension foundation. The contract with Le Méridien simply ran out. According to the local papers there were three contenders for a new contract, of which Starwood was one. Apparently, Starwood did not win the competition.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.