Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ride Report - '07 Hyundai Santa Fe

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2007, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Ride Report - '07 Hyundai Santa Fe

Got one of the new redesigned models at TPA this week. Looks like there's quite a few of them in the fleet now, presumeably replacing the outgoing model...

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicle/santafe/santafe.aspx

My base GLS FWD had the optional automatic transmission, for a grand total of $22,915.

Powertrain: The base engine in the new Santa Fe is a revised version of the previous-generation's 2.7L V6, producing 185 hp. The improvements in refinement and throttle response are noticeable, and acceleration is better than competitors' four-cylinder models, but not their six-cylinder models (including the Santa Fe's own optional 3.3L V6). The four-speed automatic transmission is generally smooth in its shifts, but is hesitant to downshift and is indecisive with selecting gears. Fuel economy is an estimated 21/26 EPA city/highway, and mileage seems to be close to that.

Ride/Handling: The newest Hyundai SUV is tuned fairly softly, though it is secure, especially with the standard stability control. Steering is weighted well, but is sometimes slow to respond, and body roll is noticeable (even for a small SUV). Ride quality is very smooth, but can be get a bit choppy on less-than-perfect road surfaces. Road and wind noise are minimized very well. Brakes are adequate, but the pedal has a softer feeling than most, and there is some nose dive.

Interior: The new Santa Fe's interior is a very high-quality piece. Tactile, build and materials quality are all excellent, though some plastics are slightly hard. Being larger than most of its competitors such as the RAV4 and Escape, space is very good in the cabin (enough for a third-row as a retail option, which this did not have). The cargo area is similarly quite roomy, though it did not have a cargo cover (for those who carry laptops, etc. in their rentals). Seats are comfortable and have the usual range of adjustments, though some may find the driving position too upright.

Design: Being less sporty and hard-edged than its competitors, the Santa Fe IMO has a very handsome exterior design that is more "grown-up" than its predecessor. The interior is also my favorite in this segment, with a very upscale feel that is accentuated by a nice color scheme and (obviously fake) wood trim. The dash lighting is a bright blue like some VWs, and may be a bit too busy for some.

Features: For a base model, the GLS model I had was equipped with all of the normal features and power accessories, and also had standard stability control, six airbags and a tire-pressure monitoring system. My particular example also had factory XM.

Value: The Santa Fe is, as expected, classed in the Q segment, as a Q6. Being more luxury than sport, I would take the (surprisingly) sportier RAV4, but compared to the Escape and Liberty, the Santa Fe is a nicer vehicle. If you're looking for more space in the "small SUV" segment, I'd go with the Hyundai. ^

To sum it up:

The Good
Upscale interior
Spacious and comfortable
Lengthy list of of safety and convenience features

The Bad
Sometimes-stiff ride
Handling on the softer side
Old Feb 1, 2007, 4:01 pm

Hyundai stole so many design ques from my Infiniti FX45 during the last design refresh, for that reason I must hate the Santa Fe! It doesn't look anything like the old Santa Fe.

Santa Fe - Front | FX - Front | 2005 Santa Fe
Old Feb 2, 2007, 1:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
That's probably why I like the design so much!

Although it would have been better if they copied the FX's suspension tuning and wicked exhaust note as well...
Old May 2, 2007, 4:42 pm

Programs: NW Platinum Elite, *Wood Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
UPDATE: Storing Laptop

It is true that there is no privacy cover. However, if you look in the back, the 2nd handle in, there is a compartment that is large enough to stow a backpack or laptop bag. Granted, it won't hold monster roller cases, but give it a shot. It's the 2nd handle in on the floor, the first is the jack and tire iron.

It worked great for stashing my laptop backpack in while I was eating dinner ^
Old May 2, 2007, 6:28 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
Oh that's weird. I swear I did a search before posting a new report after my 2007 Santa Fe rental in April, but I never found this thread. Now we have two! Ooops. Can be combined if anyone is of the mind to....
Old Jun 10, 2008, 6:23 am

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Plat
This car comes with a 90-day trial XM subscription. There is no aux jack, but it can play MP3 cds.

I had an issue with my last rental where the tire pressure monitoring system was failing. Probably not a big deal (just recognize when the system recognizes an underinflated tire versus warning about the system as a whole).

I've found the seats to be fairly hard and uncomfortable, especially the passenger seat (I'm not sure why the driver/passenger seat would be made of different materials--it may be that the passenger seat was not "broken in").

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.