Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Ever see poachers help themselves to a hotel's free breakfast buffet?

Old Feb 2, 2007, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada Aeroplan, Delta Sky Miles

First, I hope this is the correct place to start this thread...has anyone ever witnessed a non-guest of a hotel walking in and helping themself to that hotel's free breakfast buffet?

Once I did witness and knew for a fact that this man doing so was not a guest of the hotel. It was in Orlando, and I was attending a convention there, and knew the man in question was not staying in my hotel, as he was staying at the one next door. I did not say anything to the hotel, as this man was a competitor of mine, and saw me there, and surely would have known who blew the whistle, so I let it go.

I personally would never do such a thing, as its certainly stealing, but it amazes me to watch people I suspect do this, and wonder where they get the cojones to do such a thing.

Of course, such breakfast poaching occurs mainly at middle to lower end properties, like Hampton Inns, Holiday Inn Express, La Quinta, etc. I was staying at a Hampton Inn with regard to the Orlando poaching I mentioned. I've never been challenged at any of these types of hotels when arriving for these self-serve buffets.

A few weeks ago, I stayed at an Amerisuites (soon to be Hyatt Place), and witnessed what I highly suspected were poachers, and these folks really took advantage with their second and third helpings!

On a similar note, I once stayed at a Hyatt Regency with several of my co-workers, one of whom received a complimentary upgrade to the Regency Club Level. He invited everyone (including myself) to join him in the RC lounge in each morning, to take advantage of the free breakfast. I declined, but everyone else accepted, as I thought to do so was tacky, since I'm not on the RC level.

Anyone else witness similar situations? Ever see anyone get busted?
Old Feb 2, 2007, 10:26 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Tons of times...

...I once stayed at an HI express in Moncton NB where u had to bring ID for b'fast since the local construction crews had been pillaging the b'fast for the last 10 days.
The other place i saw it was at the westin in BKK where the unbelievably polite desk agent wouldnt ask your name and room number...i was told lots of the offices around suhkumvit had workers who would pop in for a coffee and snacks...how did they know...these folks would have coffee and food in hand as they left the building...so i think this is pretty common.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 10:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
There is so much food & booze poaching potential at convention hotels. With business attire and a name tag you could probably shave 90% from your meals & entertainment expenses. Of course, do you really want to hang out at the dentists' convention?
Old Feb 2, 2007, 10:37 am

On a couple of occasions, I've seen hotels being forced to kick homeless out who sneak in and eat as much as they can before someone catches on.

Mike
Old Feb 2, 2007, 12:31 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by ESPECIALROB
Of course, such breakfast poaching occurs mainly at middle to lower end properties, like Hampton Inns, Holiday Inn Express, La Quinta, etc.
Probably because the lower-middle range hotels of the type listed above tend to be more likely to have included breakfast buffets.

For whatever reason, these types of hotels tend to be most likely to bundle breakfast buffet and/or wireless internet with the room. Higher end hotels seem to be more likely to have these at extra charge.

Included breakfast buffet is a convenience if you are in a hurry in the morning -- no time spent ordering or paying. But poaching seems odd, especially on business (the poacher would have to go to the other hotel to poach, negating the time advantage, and paying should not be an issue if it is reimbursed within reason).
Old Feb 2, 2007, 12:43 pm

I've stayed at hotels where I was asked for my room number before I went in for breakfast. In those cases, I had breakfast included, but there were rates with no breakfast as well, and no proof of the room number was requested. From some reviews I've read, people do sometimes give the wrong room number, resulting in an innocent person being charged for breakfast.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 1:03 pm

Programs: in C/C++, Python, SQL
Similarly, I've been asked to show my key card. Of course, I suppose I could have kept a key from a previous stay (or probably even another hotel--I don't remember them looking at it that closely), but it would deter people from walking in off the street.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 2:24 pm

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by tjl
...For whatever reason, these types of hotels tend to be most likely to bundle breakfast buffet and/or wireless internet with the room. Higher end hotels seem to be more likely to have these at extra charge.....
I think this reflects the differences between the business travelers at high end and midrange hotels. The former generally have more expense account flexibility. The latter includes more of the self-employed. For this group, bundling the meals/evening drinks has tax advantages, as it converts something 50% deductible (meals & entertainment) into a 100% deduction (lodging).
Old Feb 2, 2007, 2:54 pm

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
I'm not sure that's true. The most outrageous breakfast poaching I've ever seen occurs when attendees at one meeting descend upon another group's continental breakfast - often unknoweingly, but all too frequently asa sin of commission instead of simply ignorant omission. Running meetings, there are some big hotels where I've learned to station some burly "security" type (too smart for TSA employment, but not good enough to be a house dick) between the OJ and the muffins.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage
Embassy Suites I went to used to ask to see a room key. I suppose they did it to cut down on poaching.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by nako
On a couple of occasions, I've seen hotels being forced to kick homeless out who sneak in and eat as much as they can before someone catches on.
If I was homeless, that is what I would do.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 5:15 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
.... rather often at some places, from sea to shining sea. And it wasn't even the homeless.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 5:18 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by dhuey
I think this reflects the differences between the business travelers at high end and midrange hotels. The former generally have more expense account flexibility. The latter includes more of the self-employed. For this group, bundling the meals/evening drinks has tax advantages, as it converts something 50% deductible (meals & entertainment) into a 100% deduction (lodging).
An explanation for the US, but not everywhere elsewhere.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 5:20 pm

Programs: Peon in all
I usually stay at Embassy Suites. Yes, sometimes they ask to "see" the room key, but if you follow the crowd, many times they won't (since a "room" could have 4 people).

Embassy Suites also has the "Manager's Reception". One trip, I met with (non-hotel guest) friends for drinks. (They lived in the city.) He wanted to pay for their drinks at the bar, but the bartender said, "You're a guest - the drinks are no charge!" ^
Old Feb 2, 2007, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Years ago my professional society was hosting a cocktail reception at some tropical resort- I forget which. A couple came up to one of our members and asked if the colored stripes on our name tags had any significance. (They distinguished Fellows, Associates, Accompanying Persons, and invited Guests.)

They weren't members, of course- they were just staying in that hotel and said they were checking out whatever receptions they could barge into. They said ours was one of the better ones!

Now we have our association staff at the door to each reception, checking for name tags.

As for Executive Lounges, most that I've used (Hilton) ask for a room number and the one in Toronto asked you to sign a "guest book" and posted a tactful sign announcing what they charged for guests. One woman came in and signed in- when they asked the man accompanying her (looked to be her husband) if he was a guest, he cheerfully replied, "I'm her adult supervision". They let him in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.