Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

Going to Copenhagen -- where else should we go?

Old Feb 2, 2007, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver

We're going to be in Copenhagen for a few days in March but have a whole week to spend in Europe. Should we spend the whole time in Copenhagen? Should we stay in Copenhagen a few days and then visit another town in Denmark (and if so, where)? Should we spend a few days in Copenhagen and then go to another city somewhere outside of Denmark? (I read a couple of posts saying Stocklholm is a nice complement to a Copenhagen trip.) I know absolutely nothing about Denmark or that entire region. Where should we go? What should we see? What should we buy? We're not big on going to museums or galleries nor extreme tourist traps -- we are the sort of travelers that enjoy walking all over cities and towns to see everything and absorbing the culture, enjoying local cuisine, perhaps a concert or two. Any advice and help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
Old Feb 2, 2007, 3:31 pm

Depends how far you want to go, really...

In the immediate vicinity you have Roskile (in Denmark) and Malmö (across the bridge in Sweden), both definitely worth a day trip. I also liked Odense, birth place of Hans Christian Andersen - about an hour and a half away by train.

If you want to venture further away I would recommend either Stockholm (five hours away), or, heading in the other direction, Lübeck in Germany which is about three-and-a-half hours away by train (the train journey includes a half-hour ferry ride across the Baltic Sea - i.e., the train travels on the ferry)
Old Feb 3, 2007, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Stockholm is lovely. You can take the train to Malmo and the overnight train to Stockholm from there. It will save you some time. It depends on what you reserve, but the overnight train for me was $65US.

Copenhagen is a great walking city as well. If you want to to get out of Copenhagen for a side trip, take a look at Roskilde, Frederiksborg Castle and Kronborg Castle as options.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 12:21 am

Programs: SAS
How about Berlin as a side trip ? Its only a 40 min flight from Copenhagen and there are four airlines serving the route.

See: http://www.cph.dk/CPH/UK/MAIN/Before...ets/Europe.htm for cheap tickets.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 6:13 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
I would mostly echo aviatrix advice. I'd spend three days in Copenhagen (The two opera houses, Stroget, the castle, the harbour, the little mermaid etc.) and take one or two side trips. Malmö (if only because of the bridge) one day, Odense and small danish villages another day possibly combined with northern Germany (Lübeck, maybe even Hamburg) either by train or rented car.

Had it been summer, I would definitely have suggested the Danish beaches in Jylland.

All other possible places (Stockholm, Norway, Riga, Berlin etc.) I would fly to that time of the year. And that would actually open half of Europe for discussion...
Old Feb 4, 2007, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
I'd certainly agree with those that suggest visiting Stockholm; it is a beautiful city. The train trip is fun too--and good value. There is a lot to see and do in Stockholm, so it could eat up a few days. If you enjoy ocean travel, there are a lot of great cruises to the Baltic countries--another good option.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 9:46 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
I'd certainly agree with those that suggest visiting Stockholm; it is a beautiful city. The train trip is fun too--and good value. There is a lot to see and do in Stockholm, so it could eat up a few days. If you enjoy ocean travel, there are a lot of great cruises to the Baltic countries--another good option.
Stockholm is a good place to visit, without a doubt, if time permits.

That said, what's so fun about the CPH/Malmo-Stockholm train trip? It's a good value (often enough) but I don't think I'd call it fun -- maybe I'm inured to the train trip since I've done the x2000 a bit and then some.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt
Many excellent suggestions have been posted here about Copenhagen, however I would add that a trip to Helsingor and Hamlets Castle is well worth the time as is a side trip to Louisiana Modern Art Museum....both could be done in a day....a well worthwhile excursion.

I also echo the sentiments of others about Odense and maybe a continuation up to Skagen....terribly cute place and you can place your toes in two different seas at the same time....also a new spa has opened which is delightful.

Luebeck is a charming city only three hours or so from CPH via train. Be sure to have dinner at the Sheffelgeshemshaft....the oldest restaurant in Luebeck dating back to the early 1600's.

No matter what you elect to do, I'm sure you will have a marvelous tour!
Old Feb 5, 2007, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by GolfTravelr

Luebeck is a charming city only three hours or so from CPH via train. Be sure to have dinner at the Sheffelgeshemshaft....the oldest restaurant in Luebeck dating back to the early 1600's.
That should be Schiffergesellschaft!
Old Feb 5, 2007, 10:50 am

Programs: UA *G MM
Why would you take the train from Malmo to Stockholm? There are a zillion flights from MMX and CPH. I paid only $50 all-in to fly MMX-ARN a few months ago on a Friday afternoon when everything was sold out or C class only from CPH.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by gnaget
Why would you take the train from Malmo to Stockholm?
Because flying doesn't save you a lot of time, and is a lot more hassle. Flying makes sense if you're connecting somewhere, but city centre to city centre it really doesn't make sense on this route.

You can arrive at the train station five minutes before your train departs (or even 30 seconds before your train departs!). You get on, you sit back, you get off. No queuing for check-in, not queuing for security, no long journey between airport and town. All very nice and relaxing.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Aviatrix
Because flying doesn't save you a lot of time, and is a lot more hassle. Flying makes sense if you're connecting somewhere, but city centre to city centre it really doesn't make sense on this route.

You can arrive at the train station five minutes before your train departs (or even 30 seconds before your train departs!). You get on, you sit back, you get off. No queuing for check-in, not queuing for security, no long journey between airport and town. All very nice and relaxing.
From CPH to Stockholm, I'd still recommend flying generally. And I do not suggest showing up 30 seconds before your train departure unless you already picked up your ticket. I definitely wouldn't rely upon a five-minute connection at Malmo Central if a train change between Copenhagen and Stockholm is required.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 6:18 pm

Programs: OZ*G, AZ Gold, Etihad Gold, SK*G, BA Silver
www.copenhagenforpartiers.com
Old Feb 5, 2007, 7:11 pm

Programs: BA GfL
I can't believe nobody suggested the wet and dry sauna and massage at DGI Byens, behind Copenhagen central train station. If I had three days in CPH, this is what I would do for three consecutive days.

It's a great way to beat the jet lag. You'll come out of the sauna feeling like a new born baby! Make sure you call ahead and reserve your time slot for massage.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 10:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Peregrine415
I can't believe nobody suggested the wet and dry sauna and massage at DGI Byens, behind Copenhagen central train station. If I had three days in CPH, this is what I would do for three consecutive days.

It's a great way to beat the jet lag. You'll come out of the sauna feeling like a new born baby! Make sure you call ahead and reserve your time slot for massage.
That "massage" "behind Copenhagen central train station" isn't a reference to the "adult entertainment" that used to be thereabouts (and some of which may even still be), is it?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.