Search

Portable Ding URLs now available!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2007, 7:17 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Portable Ding URLs now available!

Through some ingenious detective work, curbcrusher has discovered a way to make your Ding installation portable even if you have the current version of Ding. The method is substantially more complex than the one described in the FAQ for version 1.00, and hardly anyone was able to deal with that one, so this one is not suitable for do-it-yourselfers.

Instead, in the spirit of FT, curbcrusher has agreed to respond to PMs requesting this service. When you request a portable Ding URL, you must affirm that this URL will be for your own personal and non-commercial use only. To get a portable Ding, PM curbcrusher and arrange a time for a short PM exchange. The procedure to construct a portable Ding is interactive, requiring information from an active sale accessed via your home Ding installation. So you need to be at that computer during a Ding sale for the exchange of PMs.

You will get a URL that you can bookmark for use from any computer, and a second URL you can use to update your list of preferred cities from any computer. This URL will be tied to your specific home Ding installation, meaning that it will have the same city list and that it will share the limit of 50 views per sale.

I thank curbcrusher for this stunning achievement and for his community spirit to help other FTers access Ding sales from work and on the road.

Last edited by nsx; Feb 4, 2007 at 9:41 am
Old Feb 2, 2007, 7:32 pm

Programs: WN DL UA AA CO US FL BA, PC Plat
Wouldn't it be nice if Southwest officially offered portable DING's?
Old Feb 4, 2007, 10:26 pm

Is anyone available to set me up for portable ding?

Thanks!
Old Feb 4, 2007, 11:00 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by zackr

Thanks!
PM sent.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 1:10 am
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

(Note: This post describes how to use bookmarklets (scripts saved as bookmarks) in connection with creating and using portable DING! URLs. You must have JavaScript enabled for these (or any JavaScript bookmarklets) to work.)

To create your own portable DING! URL, follow these steps:
  • Install DING! on a supported platform.
  • When a DING! offer arrives, use the DING! application to view the offer.
  • While a DING! offer page is displayed in the active window/tab, copy and paste this small script to the URL line of your browser:
    Code:
    javascript:var o=document.dingForm, i=o.installId.value, c=o.cksum.value,sURL='http://ding.southwest.com/cgi-bin/systray?action=[a]&installId=[id]&cksum=[cksum]'.replace('[id]',i).replace('[cksum]',c);document.write('<blockquote>','Your portable DING! URL'.link(sURL.replace('[a]','getMessages')+'&os=UnknownOS&version=1.05').replace('>Y',' target=_blank>Y'),'\n<p>','Your update registration URL'.link(sURL.replace('[a]','updateRegistrationForm')).replace('>Y',' target=_blank>Y'),'</blockquote>');document.close();
  • A page with your two custom URLs will be displayed: your portable DING! URL, and a link to update your registered airport list. Email the displayed links to the computer or device on which you need to use them. (If the receiving address can handle it, you can copy and Email the entire page source. If not, right-click the URLs to Email them.)
The DING! server sends information to DING! via XML. When you use the portable DING! URL, therefore, you won't see a normal web page. The appearance will in fact vary pretty dramatically depending on the browser and platform used to display the XML data. (Try it on your DING!-enabled computer to see how it works.) To actually view the DING! offers you will need to locate the "activationUrl" in the displayed XML data, copy it, and paste it to the URL line of your browser. That process can get tedious day after day. You can make it easier with another bookmarklet to either:
  1. open the first or a specific offer;
  2. display a page with DING! "info" messages, hotlinked if applicable, and open all "offers" in their own tabs/windows;or
  3. repoll the server every 30 minutes like the DING! application does, and automatically display the offers once they go live;
Option #2 is probably best for most people, if your browser can handle it. If you use the following bookmarklet while viewing the DING! XML response page, available DING! fare offers will be opened; if offers are posted but not yet active an alert will let you know how long you have to wait to see the offer. "Info" headlines with no links (like schedule opening messages) will be displayed; "Info" offers with links such as recent ones from Chase and swavactions.com will be written as hot links on a separate page.This bookmarklet also notes how many seconds remain until activation if the headline has been posted but is not yet active.
Code:
javascript:function fn$(o,p){return o.getElementsByTagName(p)[0].textContent;}function fnShowDing(){var arrH,i,ln,t,y,w,msg='',url;arrH=document.getElementsByTagName('headline');for(i=0;i<arrH.length;i++){ln=fn$(arrH[i],'activationText');y=fn$(arrH[i],'type');url=fn$(arrH[i],'activationUrl');if(y=='offer'){s=fn$(arrH[i],'activationNewDelta');if(s>0){alert('Offer #'+i+' viewable in '+s+' seconds');}else{window.open(url);}}else{if(url.length>0){ln=ln.link(url);msg=msg+ln+'<br>\n';}else{alert(ln);}}}if(msg.length>0){w=window.open();w.document.write(msg.small());w.document.close();}}void(fnShowDing())
That bookmarklet may be a few characters too long for at least some versions of IE and perhaps for mobile device browsers. For that or some other reason you might need to limit yourself to option #1 above. The following ultra-basic bookmarklet opens the first offer found in the DING! XML response data:
Code:
javascript:var i=1,strURL=document.getElementsByTagName('activationUrl')[i-1].firstChild.nodeValue; window.location=strURL
This basic DING! offer opener bookmarklet should work in all browsers and on all devices. Sometimes there are multiple DING! activation URLs. To only open an offer other than the first offer, change the value of i at the beginning of the script, as in the following example, which opens the second offer:
Code:
javascript:var i=2,strURL=document.getElementsByTagName('activationUrl')[i-1].firstChild.nodeValue; window.location=strURL
The DING! polling script has not yet been updated for multiple DING! headlines, so it is currently unavailable.

Last edited by ftnoob; Jul 19, 2009 at 11:04 pm Reason: Reorder info, temporarily pull repolling script
Old Mar 7, 2009, 6:44 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Originally Posted by ftnoob
[INDENT]nsx asked me to mention here that to avoid the copy/paste step normally required when using a portable DING! URL, you can install this bookmarklet:
Could not one just go directly to this FT page from their crackberry and then click the links above?
Old Mar 10, 2009, 12:42 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

The scripts above can be copied and pasted to your browser's URL line on devices that allow copy and paste. It should be more convenient to set them up as bookmarks, however. Note that the scripts won't work unless you paste them to the browser's URL line while you are viewing a portable DING! URL page. The scripts cannot be clicked because the board software doesn't allow us to make clickable script links. (Clicking them from this page wouldn't do any good anyway; you have to run the script while viewing your portable DING! URL page. If the board software permitted clickable script links, though, it would be much easier to create the required bookmarklet on your computer or other device.) Eventually I'll create a web page of various southwest.com bookmarklets so you can just drag them to your bookmarks menu or toolbar.

Last edited by ftnoob; Mar 11, 2009 at 2:18 pm
Old Mar 19, 2009, 8:57 am

Programs: Southwest
I would like a portable Ding if possible.

Thanks!
Old Jul 20, 2009, 8:49 am

Can I get a PM too?
Old Feb 26, 2010, 1:02 am

I have a headache trying this right now. I may try later...honestly, why wouldn't SWA just come up w/a mobile version that's easy to use? I can get on Priceline and "Name My Own Price", but can't get Ding from SWA?
Old Mar 15, 2010, 11:52 am

The scripts are broken because the Ding offers require the installation ID and checksum in the URL. Here's a fix:

Code:
javascript:function fn$(o,p){return o.getElementsByTagName(p)[0].textContent;}function fnShowDing(){var arrH,i,ln,t,y,w,msg='',url;arrH=document.getElementsByTagName('headline');for(i=0;i<arrH.length;i++){ln=fn$(arrH[i],'activationText');y=fn$(arrH[i],'type');url=fn$(arrH[i],'activationUrl')+location.href.match('&installId=.*');if(y=='offer'){s=fn$(arrH[i],'activationNewDelta');if(s>0){alert('Offer #'+i+' viewable in '+s+' seconds');}else{window.open(url);}}else{if(url.length>0){ln=ln.link(url);msg=msg+ln+'<br>\n';}else{alert(ln);}}}if(msg.length>0){w=window.open();w.document.write(msg.small());w.document.close();}}void(fnShowDing())
Code:
javascript:var i=1,strURL=document.getElementsByTagName('activationUrl')[i-1].firstChild.nodeValue; window.location=strURL+location.href.match('&installId=.*')
Old May 7, 2011, 12:28 pm

Are these portable URLs still working for anyone? I had been using my Ding v1.00 URL for a long time.. I still get the XML response; but when visiting the activationUrl, all I see is an error of some sort from SWA's website.

Either this one:
We are currently unable to complete your request due to an undefined error. If this is the first time you have seen this message, please go back and try again. If you continue to have difficulties, please contact a Southwest Airlines Customer Representative for assistance at 1-800-I-FLY-SWA (1-800-435-9792).
Reference code: SW900000-AK5G-pFnfuV8DQNiz4rBHjhoR8g Occurred on: 05/07/2011 13:27:05

or a Session Timeout one..
Old May 7, 2011, 12:54 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...ger-works.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.