Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ride Report - '07 Infiniti G35

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2007, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Ride Report - '07 Infiniti G35

Spotted a few of these new arrivals being prepped for rental at LAX last week, and got one as an F upgrade this time around.

http://www.infiniti.com/g_sedan/index.html

From the Infiniti website, my particular example was a mid-level Journey trim model with no additional options, for a total MSRP of $32,600.

And some cell-phone pics of the car in question...

Powertrain: All G35s come with a newly-revised version of Nissan's world-famous VQ-series motor, a 3.5L V6 with 306 hp. As expected, this engine continues to be a standard in refinement and engineering, providing effortless and smooth power with an appealing exhaust note. The five-speed automatic is down a gear on some of its competitors, but is a perfect match to the engine, providing smooth upshifts and exceptionally prompt downshifts with no gear confusion. Fuel economy is an EPA-estimated 19/26 city/highway mpg, but I have only seen 16 mpg in mostly city driving.

Ride/Handling: Driving dynamics continue to remain on the sports end of the comfort-performance spectrum. Steering can be a bit numb and heavy at some points, but for the most part is responsive and provides good feedback. The chassis is extremely balanced, and grip and body control are solid. Ride quality is mostly smooth, though sometimes might be too stiff on account of the slightly aggressive suspension settings. Road and wind noise are controlled well. Brakes are flawless in stopping performance and provide a firm pedal feel.

Interior: A common complaint of the previous G35 was its slightly downmarket interior, and the new interior shows definite improvements. Build quality is excellent, and save for one or two pieces, tactile and materials quality are similarly top-notch. Interior dimensions are about the same as the previous G35, meaning that space is adequate but not exceptional. The cargo capacity is also inline for a vehicle of this size, but a lack of a fold-down rear seat (trunk pass-through only) may be a problem. Controls are within easy reach and the seats are generally comfortable, though bolstering may not be entirely accommodating to aggressive driving.

Design: Infiniti clearly went for an evolutionary look for the newest G35 and while it may be difficult to spot the differences at first, the end result is pleasing. The sweeping profile on the exterior is continued, and the interior has been revamped for a more modern look, with clean blue/white instrumentation and a soothing white ambient light. A nice and interesting touch is that the designers embranced the G35's "Japaneseness" by incorporating a "washi-paper" design to the aluminum trim, and certain exterior elements like the grille and chrome strip at the top of the rear decklid are meant to emulate samurai swords.

Features: The G35 is equipped predictably, with the standard set of airbags, a leather interior, moonroof, six-disc CD changer with MP3 capability and dual-zone climate control. The Infinti Intelligent Key is also standard, which means you get the proximity-sensing remote/key and push-button ignition.

Value: Even though the previous G35 was classed a H, this particular model is a G4 according to the keytag -- unless Hertz is planning to move this to the Prestige Collection, I assume it too will be moved to H at some point. Overall, this newest model continues to be my favorite among the "sporty" cars in the H class (A4/G35/MKZ/C-Class). Those looking for the comfort and space of the Avalon/Azera/300C bunch may find the G to be too harsh and cramped, but if you're looking for something entertaining to drive, the newest iteration of the G35 satisifies nicely.

To sum it up:

The Good
Rocket-ship thrust
Responsive dynamics
Improved interior

The Bad
Slightly artificial steering
Ride may be a bit too stiff for some
Old Feb 5, 2007, 8:27 am

Programs: DL Platinum & MM, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Thanks for a great review!

It's been a few years since I've had the G35, and it's nice to see they're keeping them in stock.

Did yours have the Sirius radio activated?

And as a side note, do you know what the difference is between the G35 and M35 (other than more luxury/comfort features)? It seems like Hertz is starting to carry the M35 as well.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Thanks! I did not have Sirius, but according to my keytag the car was supposed to have Neverlost, which it also did not have.

The M35 is the bigger brother to the G35, so it should have more space as well. The G35/M35 relationship is similar to the 3-Series/5-Series or C-Class/E-Class.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 8:20 pm
CS

Programs: Southwest A+ Preferred, National Executive Elite, Hertz Five Star
Great review again, prashok.

How much was the upgrade $$$?
Old Feb 5, 2007, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CS
Great review again, prashok.

How much was the upgrade $$$?
Thanks! This was actually my PC upgrade, so no charge. Save for a few occasions, LAX is usually pretty good about bumping me to an H or I car on a F booking... ^
Old Feb 5, 2007, 10:42 pm
CS

Programs: Southwest A+ Preferred, National Executive Elite, Hertz Five Star
Cool.

Is that a 300C parked next to you? And it looks like a 350Z (red) in the foreground...lol...LAX has some cool cars.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 12:29 am

Programs: EY Gold, AS MVPG, BAEC Gold, DL PM
Nice review!
Wish National had something like that!
Old Mar 4, 2007, 6:51 pm

Programs: DL Platinum & MM, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I just had one of these and really enjoyed it. Since Prashok already did a thorough review I'll just expand on some points.

-I paid a $35/day upgrade fee for it from an F reservation in NYC at $373/week. The agent wouldn't budge on the fee, saying that car would normally go for $125+ a day, and the "matrix" wouldn't let her go any lower. I gave in since I had a long drive, and I'm considering buying one of these and viewed it as an extended test drive. On the plus side, the car was owned by NYC (as was the A6 I had a few weeks earlier); it's nice to see NYC owning some of these cars instead of randomly having them available. This was a class G4 registered in Jan.

-This was also a G35 Journey with no additional options. The one missing option that Hertz should splurge for is heated seats, especially in the Northeast. The car is otherwise well-equipped.

-Still no Sirius , and the Neverlost computer in the glove compartment eliminates all the space in there, leaving only a small center arm-rest console.

These are all really quibbles with Hertz; for a 4 hour drive to Maryland the car was great!
Old Mar 4, 2007, 8:28 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gforce
Nice review!
Wish National had something like that!
Wait a few months till the the 2008 CTS comes out. Looks to take a REAL run (this time unlike that thing they have now) at the 3 series, IS-350, G35, and TL.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CS
Is that a 300C parked next to you? And it looks like a 350Z (red) in the foreground...lol...LAX has some cool cars.
Mazda6, I think. LAX probably has the best lineup in the Hertz network (even better than LAS).... ^
Old Mar 11, 2007, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by prashok
Mazda6, I think. LAX probably has the best lineup in the Hertz network (even better than LAS).... ^
For sure...it's either a tie between LAX or SFO, IME. SAN isn't too bad, either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.