Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help us pick a honeymoon destination

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2007, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Help us pick a honeymoon destination

I am getting married in December and we would like to do a 2 week honeymoon starting on 12.27.07. We are trying to come up with 5 choices and I know this board is full of frequent travelers, so I thought I would seek the thoughts of FTers.

Here are the details to work with.

1) Can spend $10,000 - $15,000 (obv. would like it to be at the low end)
2) Do not have hotel status
3) Am a Premier Ex on United
4) Have about 100k United miles
5) Willing to travel anywhere and even do several side trips (we live in DC)
6) She does not like to snow ski

I look forward to your suggestions and will let everyone know what we choose. I will also post a travel post once the trip is completed
Old Feb 5, 2007, 1:20 pm

I would recommend the Singita Private Game Reserve in Kruger South Africa and then see other things in South Africa, Amanyara in the Turks and Caicos, Amanresorts in Bhutan or India, or go to one of the great resorts in Bali and other parts of Indonesia. The Amanpullo in the Philippines.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 1:32 pm

You have left the field wide open....so 3 trips that I have taken that would fit the bill

1 - if you just want to completely relax and lay on the beach somewhere far away where no one can reach you, i highly recommend the Maldives. I stayed at Filetheyo island resort which is mid-range. There are several more upscale resorts as well.

2 - French Polynesia - 1 week "cruise" on the boat the Tia Mona (www.boraboracruises.com) and then 6 days at Le Tahaa resort on Tahaa (island next to Bora Bora). Its not really a cruise - more like a 250ft yacht with 30 or 40 guests. It was quite amazing. We used an online travel agent www.pacific-for-less.com to book. (there was no "less" about it unfortunately)

3 - Australia - December will be their summer. Start in Melbourne, drive the Great Ocean Road for two days then up to Sydney, a day or two in the Hunter Valley and then finish with 4 ro 5 days at a very nice resort on / near the Great Barrier Reef.

Australia can be done at the low end of your budget (depending on plane tickets) and the other two may be at the high end.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Wow, thanks for the replies. The "cruise" is AWESOME, but that might be hard to pitch at $15k for the cruise alone. Our 2006 tax returns were a lot more than expected but at $20k for a ring and $30k for a wedding, the budget is getting a little tight.

Keep them coming! I am adding to the list now. At the end of the thread I will summarize all of the findings in the original post.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 6:34 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Hey winelover, the real question is, what kind of experience would you like to have with your new bride on this dream honeymoon? Safari? Cruise? Luxury hotels in the world's great cities? Warm beaches? Hiking?

If it were me (and I am a francophile), I would book Suite 888 at the Plaza Athenee in Paris ... the windows of which look straight out at the Eiffel Tower! An expensive room, but you could stay there a couple of nights. Can you imagine the view out of your room by night? Priceless!

Bon voyage!
Old Feb 5, 2007, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

some questions >
modern vs traditional?
how secluded?
rustic or not?

first thought for me is Maldives, like >
http://www.fourseasons.com/maldivesl...with_pool.html

-Maldives (would combine well with either East Asia or Africa)
-East Asia (Amanresorts + props like Trisara, Bvlgari, FS, RC)
-Africa (although for me personally its not really a honeymoon destination)
-Caribbean (lower rates after new years, but id say Asia is much better value)

David, are these Virtuoso benefits still accurate for Royal Malewane in South Africa?
Upgrade to Royal Suite upon arrival, subject to availability
One-way transfer for two from (or to) Hoedspruit Airport
12 noon early check-in, subject to availability
4 PM late check-out, subject to availability

things i would avoid (in favor of others, like above)
-cruise
-Hawaii
-South Pacific
-Greece

the cruise TMAYER mentioned is ~$2K/night

if you want to do a cruise, two options would also be
-Explorer (yacht) @ FS Maldives (~$1K/night)
with stay at FS Maldives LG
-Regent, French Polynesia from $5600 (2 people, 7 nights, includes alcohol and tips)
http://www.rssc.com/voyage/details.j...res&agencyUri=
with stay at Le Tahaa

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 6, 2007 at 12:44 am
Old Feb 5, 2007, 8:42 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would get to 120k miles on UA and use that for two confirmed round trip upgrades to C, for starters, at least as far as Europe. You'd have to buy H fares when upgrading with miles but that would dramatically increase your comfort on the first and last parts of the trip.

Then for destination, I'm inclined to propose some form of African photo safari, as Nachria proposes, coupled with other nearby stuff. There is really nothing else quite like the great African game preserves.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 8:55 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Kagehitokiri, these are the current amenities at Royal Malewane in Hoedspruit, South Africa:

Virtuoso guests receive:
  • Upgrade to Royal Suite upon arrival, subject to availability
  • Complimentary one-way transfer for two from (or to) Hoedspruit Airport.
  • Daily breakfast already included in rates
  • Complimentary bottle of sparkling wine on ice in the room each night
  • 12 noon early check-in, subject to availability
  • 4 PM late check-out, subject to availability
Old Feb 5, 2007, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks David. ive been looking at these two for a possible Africa trip myself >

Royal Malewane (because of Virtuoso upgrade. Royal/Malewane suites include: private butler, private chef, private game drives & 4 complimentary massages per suite per day)

Vumbura Plains (modern with private pools in Botswana)
Old Feb 6, 2007, 4:18 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards, AA - Plat, HHonors - Gold
I have only one suggestion for you. Now some may call it a bias pick, but what can I say, I am from the Caribbean and we support our own.

My recommendation is Cap Juluca on the Island of Anguilla. If figure if it was good enough for NBC's The Today Show's Destination Wedding Special it should be worth your time reading up on it.

http://www.capjuluca.com/pr040916.asp

http://travelvideo.tv/news/more.php?id=A2807_0_1_0_M
Old Feb 6, 2007, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Winelover,

We love planning travel around here, but the more details that you can give us, the better. Are you looking for warm spots? Private? Active vs. passive? Etc.

Mike
Old Feb 6, 2007, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by winelover
Wow, thanks for the replies. The "cruise" is AWESOME, but that might be hard to pitch at $15k for the cruise alone. Our 2006 tax returns were a lot more than expected but at $20k for a ring and $30k for a wedding, the budget is getting a little tight.

Keep them coming! I am adding to the list now. At the end of the thread I will summarize all of the findings in the original post.

the cruise was not cheap, and the prices may have gone up, but fortunately we did not pay 2k per night when we went. We spent about 15k on the whole trip including coach airfare. Maybe they gave the travel agent a good package rate or something. It was 2 years ago that we went so i wouldn't think rates would have gone up that dramatically, but i guess they could have.

Best of luck
Old Feb 6, 2007, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeef
Winelover,

We love planning travel around here, but the more details that you can give us, the better. Are you looking for warm spots? Private? Active vs. passive? Etc.

Mike
Mike,

We would prefer a warm spot. Since it will be two weeks, we would probably want a few days to chill, but we would also want to do a lot of activities (SCUBA, elephant rides, hiking, etc)
Old Feb 6, 2007, 1:25 pm

Hmmm... a warm spot where you can scuba, ride an elephant, and hike? You have me stumped!
Old Feb 6, 2007, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by winelover
Mike,

We would prefer a warm spot. Since it will be two weeks, we would probably want a few days to chill, but we would also want to do a lot of activities (SCUBA, elephant rides, hiking, etc)
Thanks! That's a great start.

I can help you out on the warm, I think. You may want to consider Bali. The downside is that the winter is the rainy season, but my impression is that it's a short, hard shower in the afternoon. The hotels are all wonderful and even a one-bedroom villa at the Four Seasons will be in the $500-600 range. For activities, I would use Bali Adventure Tours, who can help you plan a day trip including white water rafting, biking, elephant rides, etc.

Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.