glatt kosher london

Old Feb 5, 2007, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: co ba
glatt kosher london

hello, i have a layover in lhr, landing at 930am departing 6pm. I am not too fimiliar with london. Would love to head in to town do a small activity and grab a kosher lunch. Any advice what to do, and how to get there? I only eat glatt kosher
Old Feb 5, 2007, 8:52 pm

i imagine a Londoner or frequest traveler to the area will respond, but if not, you could try the London chief Rabbi. before FT, before the internet, that is what we did in many locations. always with positive results. enjoy!
Old Feb 6, 2007, 1:35 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
First of all, pretty much all the kosher eateries are in NW London, about 45 mins from LHR.

Milky restaurants:
Novellino (Golders Green Road) - definitely worth a visit
Milk & Honey (Golders Green Road) - simpler than Novellino
Isola Bella (Hendon, top of Bell Lane) - huge portions, not as sophisticated as Novellino, but better than Milk & Honey

Meaty restaurants (glatt):
The White House (Hendon, top of Bell Lane) - mainly grills
Kaifeng (Hendon, Church Road) - Chinese
La Fiesta (Golders Green Road) - grills. Very good, but closed at the moment due to a fire.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 7:22 am
Original Poster

anything next to any of the tourist sites?
Old Feb 6, 2007, 10:11 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by mhron
I think there is a milky sandwich bar in Hatton Garden, but I don't know any more than that. Certainly no meaty glatt kosher places in central London.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 11:56 am
Suspended

There are 2 Fleshig places.

1 is a sort of Deli called Reubens its on Baker Rd # 79 its a few mins walk up from Oxford St tel#2074-860035

the 2nd is a very Expensive place not far from Reubens called Six 13 #19 Wigmore Rd tel#4207-6296133

theres suppose to some food at Selridges Food court (not a restaurant)

as others have posted Hendon and Golders Green are Loaded with places , GG is better as once you get out of the Underground its a 2 min walk before you hit them on theMain st, while Hendon you have a 15 min walk from the station. Or for GG simply find the #13 Bus and make sure it says GG on the front as that is its last stop. I love the 13 as you get to see alot but it can take an hr or so.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by mhron
The only reasonably central place seems to be Hillel restaurant - http://www.kosher.org.uk/restaurants.htm - which is near Euston.

A _touch_ out of the way, if you're short of time, & travelling from LHR.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by craz
There are 2 Fleshig places.

1 is a sort of Deli called Reubens its on Baker Rd # 79 its a few mins walk up from Oxford St tel#2074-860035
Umm, number should be +44(0)20 7486-0035. Also, Baker Street tube seems to be nearer... much nearer than Oxford St. (Something to keep in mind if taking Heathrow Express to Paddington).
the 2nd is a very Expensive place not far from Reubens called Six 13 #19 Wigmore Rd tel#4207-6296133
Tel:- +44 (0)20 7629-6133. Bond St station. Same station for Selfridges, below.

theres suppose to some food at Selridges Food court (not a restaurant)

as others have posted Hendon and Golders Green are Loaded with places , GG is better as once you get out of the Underground its a 2 min walk before you hit them on theMain st, while Hendon you have a 15 min walk from the station. Or for GG simply find the #13 Bus and make sure it says GG on the front as that is its last stop. I love the 13 as you get to see alot but it can take an hr or so.
To be frank, I wouldn't recommend a trip to Hendon or Golders Green for a 1-day visiting tourist - there's nothing nearby worth a trip (well, there's always Kenwood House, or Hampstead, but still...).
Old Feb 6, 2007, 1:38 pm

The questioner asked about Glatt Kosher restaurants.

Hillel and Reubens are not Glatt.
613 lost their London Beth Din licence (they were never glatt either) and now have some lesser hechsher.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

so, nothing glatt how about dairy?
Old Feb 6, 2007, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Does Bloom's still exist?
Old Feb 7, 2007, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
Does Bloom's still exist?
Yes. In Golders Green Road (the Whitechapel branch closed years ago). It is not glatt.

Checking the latest London Beth Din kashrus guide gives the following:

Firstly, the Hillel Restaurant is milky: 1-2 Endsleigh Street, near Euston station.

Secondly, there is "Chap-a-Nash" at 41 Greville Street, EC1 (open 7:00 - 15:00). It seems to be a milky snack bar, under the supervision of Rabbi Schneebalg of Edgware. It is near Chancery Lane station.

By the way, all London Beth Din milky restaurants are cholov yisroel, but not all their supervised products (not served in the restaurants) are. Rav Schneebalg's hechsher is cholov yisroel.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 9:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
The nicest place in the centre of town (Zone 1 of the Underground) is Bevis Marks -- The Restaurant, which is actually inside the sukkah/adjoining conservatory of Bevis Marks synagogue (oldest synagogue in the UK -- built in 1701).

The nearest tube station is Liverpool Street.

Not sure if it's glatt, but since the hashgacha is Sephardi Kashrut Authority and Sephardim eat glatt I'd imagine that it is. Why not email and check?

[email protected]

And the website is:

http://www.bevismarkstherestaurant.com/

It's expensive, but really very well worth it.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 9:04 am

http://www.sephardikashrut.org/restaurant.htm

Here's the SKA's list of restaurants. Sadly Bevis Marks doesn't seem like it is Glatt, but several others on the list are.

Alternatively, if you want to pick up some nice take out food close to the centre of town, you could try Adafina delicatessan:

http://www.adafina.co.uk/

It's in St John's Wood, on the same road as the Beatles' recording studio and the famous zebra crossing pictured in the "Abbey Road" album.

Last edited by salut0; Feb 7, 2007 at 9:12 am
Old Feb 7, 2007, 9:06 am

time out london jewish restaurants

http://www.timeout.com/london/restau...gory/81/1.html

Here's Time Out London's list of Jewish restaurant reviews. Careful, because some of them are "kosher style" (ie. not actually kosher!) but many of them are indeed kosher.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.