Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Mount Laurel, New Jersey [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2019, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Per swstalker (thanks for the heads up!) on 5/24/19: "I am at the Westin in Mt Laurel tonight. When looking at rooms they advertise a rate that comes with executive lounge access. The problem is the lounge no longer exists and hasnt for months according to the front desk. I am platinum so i didnt pay extra for it but be aware this is an issue if you book this hotel"
Print Wikipost

Westin Mount Laurel, New Jersey [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2007, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
Arrow Westin Mount Laurel, New Jersey [Master Thread]

There is no Westin Mount Laurel thread, so I decided to start one for future reference. The new Westin Mount Laurel, South Jersey will open this June. What category will this new property be? When will we be able to book a room? Does anyone have some info on the construction status & progress. What's the area like? I'm not sure if I'm correct of not, but this seems like one of the first new "prototype" property for the suburban market that Westin touted about not so long ago. It looks like a nice concept, I like it.

Last edited by NBSPGMEMBER; Feb 8, 2007 at 8:21 am
Old Feb 8, 2007, 7:11 am
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
I was a frequent guest at the Marriott (right next to where the Westin is being built in Mount Laurel) up until about 3 weeks ago. The location is on Route 73 at the corner of Fellowship Rd, near the entrance ramps to both the NJ Turnpike and I-295.

Given the progress of construction at the time, I doubt very much the property will be ready in June. They had the foundation and the steel girders / concrete walls in for 2-3 floors, but that's it. Interestingly enough, it appeared the lobby will be the former reception area of the banquet hall that was located there before Westin started work. The hotel rooms are being built adjacent and connected to the existing structure.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
I was looking forward to staying at this new Westin. However, I contacted the Westin Mount Laurel and was informed by someone named Jeff that unfortunately the hotel will not be ready until September at the earliest. The hotel will not open in June as planned. I was not given any specific reason, but it might be due to a construction delay. I guess MileKing was accurate in his post earlier in this thread.

Last edited by NBSPGMEMBER; Oct 3, 2007 at 9:54 pm
Old Nov 1, 2007, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Update!
This place won't open this month afterall,
The opening date has changed again, isn't it the 3rd time?. What's going on with this project? With the mild weather we've been having this place should be open now. Anyway, the website now says; Now accepting reservations for arrival on or after February 14, 2008.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 4:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Unhappy This drags on and on

Originally Posted by NBSPGMEMBER
Update!
This place won't open this month afterall,
The opening date has changed again, isn't it the 3rd time?. . . Now accepting reservations for arrival on or after February 14, 2008.
The most recent opening date was April 3. I had a reservation for April 8 & 9 and just received a call from someone at the property and it now won't open until the 10th, so I'm on my own to find an alternative.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 11:55 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Some of my family lives less then a mile away.
I am sure this property will take much time as it is a former Wydham bunker that had seen far better days.It was tired and needed a miracle
Hopefully the Westin will be just what the doctor ordered
I have been staying at the all suite Hyatt Place down the road
with 42" flat screens.I snagged a 70 dollar rate just as it grand opened!
Haven't seen the rate since however it is a really nice hotel
Keep my eyes peeled on the Westin
Cheers
Old Mar 29, 2008, 1:47 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
. . . I have been staying at the all suite Hyatt Place down the road
with 42" flat screens.I snagged a 70 dollar rate just as it grand opened!
Haven't seen the rate since however it is a really nice hotel. . .
So you like this HP? I've stayed in a few now and they all seem pretty consistent and very acceptable -- better than most Sheraton and Four Points properties. This one is an alternative I'm thinking about, so I'd be curious to hear any comments you might have.

My business is in Cherry Hill. Traffic-wise, would I be stupid to stay at the Westin in downtown Philadelphia? That's where I've re-booked, as I thought the evening options might be better, but I'm open to suggestions. My two preferences are Starwood & Hyatt.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
My business is in Cherry Hill. Traffic-wise, would I be stupid to stay at the Westin in downtown Philadelphia? That's where I've re-booked, as I thought the evening options might be better, but I'm open to suggestions. My two preferences are Starwood & Hyatt.
Assuming you're going opposite the rush (out of Philly in the a.m. and returning in the p.m.) the traffic in NJ should not be that bad. The problem will be the traffic in the city which will be bad during both.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 9:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
There is also a Summerfield Suites right across from the HP. You can compare rates to see which is cheaper. I have stayed at both and prefer the HP since it is freshly converted from Amerisuites.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 10:48 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
So you like this HP? I've stayed in a few now and they all seem pretty consistent and very acceptable -- better than most Sheraton and Four Points properties. This one is an alternative I'm thinking about, so I'd be curious to hear any comments you might have.

AZ - where is your business in Cherry Hill? If it's in the Western area (near Garden State shopping center, Cherry Hill Mall, etc. then none of these properties along Rt. 73 will save you much time versus coming from the City.

As you've probably learned, the only SPG or Hyatt options in that part of NJ are just these two mentioned.

If you need to be in the Cherry Hill East area (closer to the I-295/Rt. 70 interchange), then these wouldn't be a bad choice at all. Traffic isn't horrible if you stay off 295.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 10:51 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On a separate note about the Westin Mt Laurel, NJ - I am very unimpressed with the overall design. It looks more or less like a shoebox. I'm sure the rooms and common areas will be very nice, but I'm surprised that they didn't make it a more interesting design. This property looks like it could fly a Holiday Inn flag at any moment with little effort.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PHL
On a separate note about the Westin Mt Laurel, NJ - I am very unimpressed with the overall design. It looks more or less like a shoebox.
Regarding this architectural design; the new Westin style & element style is very understated and minimalist at this time, but that's also what's IN right now in design and architecture. (Glass, rocks, wood, water, etc...)
Very ZEN-ish.

Last edited by NBSPGMEMBER; Mar 30, 2008 at 11:44 am
Old Mar 30, 2008, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by PHL
On a separate note about the Westin Mt Laurel, NJ - I am very unimpressed with the overall design. It looks more or less like a shoebox. I'm sure the rooms and common areas will be very nice, but I'm surprised that they didn't make it a more interesting design. This property looks like it could fly a Holiday Inn flag at any moment with little effort.
Originally Posted by NBSPGMEMBER
Regarding this architectural design; the new Westin style & element style is very understated and minimalist at this time, but that's also what's IN right now in design and architecture. (Glass, rocks, wood, water, etc...)
Very ZEN-ish.
I drove past the place this morning as I have many times during the past few months. The exterior facing Fellowship road is essentially complete but there is still some work going on ouside at the rear of the property.

I agree that the architecture is a bit uninspired and tends toward the minimalist. The other thing that makes me wonder is the surrounding businesses. Its right next to a gas station and a dated Marriott and across the street from a Super 8 Motel. There's nothing much along Fellowship other than low rise office buildings. Route 73 in that area has little to brag about and I wouldn't try to cross it on foot (unless I had a death wish). I suppose its good for access to the turnpike and I295, but other than that why bother?
Old Mar 30, 2008, 5:19 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Because right down the road on Rt 73 are several office parks that have business travelers in and out each week.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 4:49 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Having grown up in Moorestown, just a few miles from this new Westin, I can't help but chuckle at the "Bermuda Triangle" of hotels in the general area of 73 and Fellowship Rd. One of the Holiday Inn chain's original hotels was just across the street and was THE place for Sunday breakfast in the 70s. It has changed hands numerous times and is now, I believe, the Super 8. The Wyndam was a Travelodge, the Marriott (closed now?) on 73 was a Hilton, and about three other properties if memory serves. As for the Westin, we knew it as the "Executive Motor Lodge", where it was told lots of "Executives" motored in with, um, "guests" for the afternoon; but it also had a great bar and club. The bar served many of us high schoolers all we wanted no questions asked (it was the late 70's and early '80s). It fell into disrepair and became something else, I think.

Anyway, I was nothing short of shocked when I saw what they'd done to this place. It's beautiful, IMO. I'll be interested to see how it prices out. It's great to see Westin has put so much into redeveloping a great piece of hotel real estate.

I imagine Westin will be using what looks to be an enormous ballroom for weddings and banquets and they will have no problem selling it. As for the "why bother" question, there's a lot of demand for hotels. While there are many secondary and discount brands, the area lacks a pristine midscale-to-upscale hotel. A fresh new Westin with fresh new amenities will bring in the SPG loyalists and a lot of business travelers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.