Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Palo Alto - Sheraton or Westin [Master Thread]

Old Feb 13, 2007, 9:39 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC

I just started on a project in Palo Alto, and will be here for 8 more weeks (3 nights/week). I spent one night in the Sheraton last week, and am booked into the Westin for the rest of my stay.

After spending a night in each, I'm seriously considering going back to the Sheraton (never thought I'd turn down a heavenly bed, but the Westin doesn't seem to value Plat's as much)

The Sheraton has a club lounge, where I can get free breakfast and snacks at night. The Westin does not, but when I asked about a lounge, they gave me free breakfast coupons. It seemed to be a special benefit, and I'm not expecting to get it each time.

The Sheraton gave me two free drink coupons for the bar when I checked in. The Westin gave me a coupon for 20% off dinner in their hotel restaurant. A coworker with no status got the same coupons at the Westin.

The Sheraton provided both USA Today and WSJ outside my door. The Westin provided USA Today.

The Sheraton provided free bottles of water. The Westin provided two bottles at $5/per. My no-status coworker did get free water from the Westin last week, though.

Facility-wise, the Westin is nicer. Heavenly bed, rooms are very quiet, marble bath. The gym is not huge, but the Sheraton's gym is tiny. The Westin has an underground garage parking area, the Sheraton is an open lot.

There's a $40 price difference (Westin is more) for a standard room at our corporate rates.

Am I missing something about the Westin? I do enjoy the heavenly bed, but I also like being spoiled as a Plat!
Old Feb 13, 2007, 11:00 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
We've only stayed at the Westin, and always on points. For just an extra 1000 pts per night (before the reval), you could upgrade to a jr suite, which is really a very nice large room with a fireplace and large sitting area. The last time we were there, they had changed the Heavenly Beds to a new type of Heavenly Bed, which we felt was not nearly as comfortable.

Now that the Westin has been reclassified to a 5 while the Sheraton is still a 4, we will definitely try out the Sheraton.

Also, every time at the Westin we were sent over to the Sheraton for breakfast anyway.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 11:01 am

If I had a choice between these properties, I would stay at the Westin. What are you looking for in an upgrade there? The standard rooms are great at the Westin. There's some suites there, but unless you need an adjoining room, there's really no need for it. Many of them are more like two rooms than a real suite. I think there's a couple of rooms on the ground floor with fireplaces and outside entrances that are pretty nice, but they are tough to get, especially on multi-night stays.

Seems like you prefer the better value you receive at the Sheraton though, so go for it. I agree that the Sheraton always treats Plats very nicely there.

As you might have guessed, they are sister properties owned/managed by the same company.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Feb 13, 2007 at 11:07 am
Old Feb 13, 2007, 3:55 pm

I am at the Westin now. I come here every 2 weeks for 1-2 nights. I've tried the Sheraton a couple of times and have been unhappy each time. I am also a Platinum, and they tend to take care of me, but they are often sold out and cannot give me an upgrade. My problems at the Sheraton have included very noisy rooms and rude staff.

Note that they are owned by the same operator.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 5:01 pm

I've not tried the Palo Alto Sheraton yet, but I've been staying at the Westin frequently as of late. I've found the staff to be polite, the facilities clean and the gym more than adequate.

The Sheraton looks like a better deal for you from what you say, but then I'm not sure what's the most important thing to you. I tend to veer towards Westins in large part because they offer cleaner rooms, better gyms, quieter neighbors and better room service when I need it.

Also, with the rain here lately, the underground garage at the Westin has been useful.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 11:03 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Any recent stays at either property. will be heading to palo alto for the week
Old Jun 22, 2008, 11:44 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by gabo02
Any recent stays at either property. will be heading to palo alto for the week
I stayed at the Westin in Feb. '08. As a Plat, I was upgraded to a 2-room suite, bedroom with a small office/study. The property is very nice. I went next door to the Sheraton Front Desk and asked for access to their club lounge, which was granted without any difficulty.

The Sheraton is a much older design and club level rooms but no suites.

I personally would choose the Westin over the Sheraton.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 4:52 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
So just came back from a one nighter at the Sheraton Palo Alto. I guess this will be my new Mattress Run hotel. Since it is about five minutes or less from mynew place. and i can book it on a weekend for less then one hundred dollars.

check-in
Was a breeze. There was a line but not that long. it was going pretty fast since there was about four agents in a small area. ^^

Room

Was given a room of the club level(platinum upgrade) facing the koi ponds. i was given a room on the first floor. not my kind of floor but since there was about three wedding parties going on the hotel was sold out. i was happy that i was given an upgrade. the room is just your standard sheraton room. nothin to exciting about it. I love staying at sheratons dont get me wrong. but i dont like any Bliss products. Some how the hotel got a hold of this information. and when i walked into the bathroom there was Westin products. My favorite. Meaning that my room was preblocked.

Restaurants

Since the club lounge is closed on friday and saturday nights they give you a couple a free drink coupons. tried out thierfood it was okay. nottin to rave. but the service is excellent there. was served by both Franco and Cynthia at the bar who were great servers. its people like that , that make me go to certain hotels. so two ^ up to both of them.

Lounge

Just your basic lounge for breakfast. something for a quick bite it is great. no hot food.

Overall

would i stay at this hotel again. Yes. The service is great. everyone greeted me nice. doesnt have any "suites". but i would rather take great customer service over suites anytime. so great job to the sheraton palo alto. and a thank you shout out to Franco and Cynthia at the Cardinal Bar.

Last edited by gabo02; Jul 26, 2008 at 5:30 pm
Old Jul 26, 2008, 11:01 pm

Note to those who are noise sensitive, like I am:

If you stay at the Westin PA and are upgraded to a "Fireplace Suite", outside noise tends to come in through the fireplace, and I tend to hear rattling fireplace parts...

They know not to upgrade me to that anymore.
Old May 14, 2009, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA 2 MM Platinum, DL Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Spire
Sheraton Palo Alto vs. Westin Palo Alto

I've stayed several times at the Sheraton - would consider the Westin but was wondering if it has a Club Lounge with free breakfast for Platinums like the Sheraton does.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; May 14, 2009 at 8:56 pm Reason: Merged without edit into thread comparing the two properties
Old May 15, 2009, 2:25 am

No lounge at the Westin. If your primary goal is free breakfast/lounge, stay at the Sheraton. But somebody in this thread reported that they were granted access to the Sherton's lounge when they stayed at the Westin. I wouldn't even think to try that.

-David
Old Mar 7, 2010, 11:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver
Any recent stays at the Sheraton? Do they still have a Club Lounge? Any other benefits for Plats? Sounds like the Westin has the better Plat upgrades but Sheraton has the better service and is also cheaper on points. Can you still stay at the Westin and go to the Club at the Sheraton?
Old Mar 8, 2010, 11:06 pm

I stayed at the Sheraton Palo Alto two weeks ago and they do have a Club Lounge.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 24 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Helping a no-status friend with advice on Palo Alto properties. If you're not Gold or Plat, which property is more convenient, with nicer rooms and generally better service? Or, is it a draw?
Old Apr 18, 2010, 5:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
which property is more convenient
They share a parking lot...

Originally Posted by SFO 1K
nicer rooms and generally better service? Or, is it a draw?
I didn't notice any difference last year. I'd just go with whichever is cheaper.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.