Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin or Sheraton DFW Dallas Fort Worth [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin or Sheraton DFW Dallas Fort Worth [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2006, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Arrow Westin or Sheraton DFW Dallas Fort Worth [Master Thread]

Thanks for your input.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 6:06 am

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Sheraton DFW:

Pluses:

Club Lounge open every day (including weekends) - a.m. and p.m.

Negatives:

Lousy TV and On-Command system sucks
Old Dec 8, 2006, 8:58 am

Programs: CO Plat(soon Premier Gold) PC lifetime(UC Life?) SPG Plat(Soon Gold)
Originally Posted by freeupgrade
Sheraton DFW:

Pluses:

Club Lounge open every day (including weekends) - a.m. and p.m.

Negatives:

Lousy TV and On-Command system sucks
I agree with above comment about Sheraton.
Regarding Westin DFW, I stayed twice as a platinum, I got corner suite both time.
So my choice as a platinum is: Sheraton if I have time to enjooy breakfast at lounge, Westin if I have early flight.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
We put our employees and contractors at the Westin (which is three blocks from our offices). I've heard NO complaints and many of them have very positive comments about the rooms (they do lots of Starwood) and the restaurant.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 12:40 pm
ET

Programs: AA lifetime Gold, SPG
Westin or Sheraton DFW

I tried to do a search for people's thoughts on the Westin or the Sheraton for DFW, but I couldn't find any (or more probably my search skills are poor). Does anyone have a recommendation for one hotel vs another? This is just for one night, an afternoon arrival with toddlers and an early morning flight out --- we will be staying the entire afternoon/night at the hotel. We need a complimentary airport shuttle, but I think both places have that. Thanks.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 10:41 pm

Westin DFW's not bad at all

I stayed at the Westin DFW a while ago after arriving on a late flight and really enjoyed it. All the rooms have flat screen TVs and while it is big, doesn't feel like a conference hotel. As gold, I was given a room on I think the highest floor (I know it was an SPG floor at the least) and they hooked me up w/ Breakfast vouchers but I don't think it's common for them to do that. The pool was nice being on the rooftop but being Dec, we never did swim. There's a mall nearby and some dining choices as well. Parking's also not a problem. It's a really nice place -- see if you can get a AAA rate. Ours was like $96

-OilersFL
Old Feb 14, 2007, 11:50 pm

I've stayed at the Westin DFW in the past and enjoyed my stays. Friendly staff, nice rooms and one of the better hotel gyms (if you like treadmills) around. I would recommend it to you.

The room service is just okay though.
Old Feb 15, 2007, 4:47 am

Programs: Delta 1MM/DM, *wood Lifetime Gold
I've stayed at the Westin DFW 28 nights so far this year, and I like it very much. The hotel was renovated over a year back (used to be the Harvey Hotel) and the rooms seem new. The Sheration is one block away, but I have never stayed there as I get a good rate. Coincidentally, I am tryping this out of my hotel room

Courtesy/Upgrades: The staff is very courteous and I have never had any major issues with service. I get upgraded to a suite almost everytime, but as I and my coworkers stay here every week, it seems they prioritize us over other other Platinum members. Sorry, but chances are we will get the upgrades if any are available

Rooms: Most of the rooms have flat screen TVs, however a few have regular CRT tvs; these are rooms where the flat screen TVs burned out or something. All the rooms have the heavenly bed, so getting to sleep shouldn't be an issue

Food: One definite negative is room service (Dinner) is sub par. None of colleagues (and I have had about 50 of them stay at this hotel) is fond of the dinner items on the menu. And whatever you do, DO NOT order the pizza. However, the breakfast is very good and reasonably priced.

Gym: The hotel has a small gym and a swimming pool (which was open to guests today). Nothing too special about the gym.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 8:22 am

Programs: American Airlines, starwood
dallas/ft.worth airport Westin or Sheraton?

We are just staying one night on our way to the Bahamas with 2 kids ages 10 and 13, and are only gold...which hotel is better? If I book Sheraton, is it worth booking a club level room? I think it was $30-$40 more and we'd arrive after 6pm on a Friday night, I know that some of the lounges close for the weekend . I thought it would be nice to stay at the Westin Galleria to have something to do in the evening, but found out it's 35 miles to the airport and don't want to take a taxi or get a car for such a short stay. Thanks.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 8:25 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
For a late arrival..and only a One Night stay..forget about the points unless the 1 Night is important to your requalifying.

For a Friday night, Just go to Priceline.com Bid $50 for a 3 star in the Airport area and you should get a Bargain. Maybe even the Hyatt Regency at The Terminal Complex.

Last edited by UncleDude; Feb 28, 2007 at 8:31 am
Old Feb 28, 2007, 10:13 am

Location: SWUSA / AA PLAT, SPG PLAT, AMEX CENTURION, HHONORS Diamond
not to try to convince you to switch brands, per se, but the best place my family has found in the DFW Airport area w/ a huge indoor heated pool/sauna complex (and separate outdoor pool, but its still too cool to swim outdoors) is the Hilton DFW Lakes in nearby Grapevine Mills, just north of DFW airport about 5 miles. Unless you are getting in very late and would not otherwise have time to enjoy a pool and/or outdoor tennis courts, this place is great for a family weekend get-away or overnight stop coming back from a trip. That the BassPro Shop and outlet mall (Grapevine Mills) is literally across the street and wining walking distance gives everyone in the family something to do on a SAT.

We like and prefer the Westin Galleria, but no indoor pool here and weekend rates are usually $149 and up, and as you note, its not that close to the airport. BTW - the Westin Galleria is due to have a major make-over, this CY, I believe. It is my fantasy that someone there "waks up and smells the coffee" to put a huge holidome (as the Holiday Inns do in some cities) over the expansive roof where the pool is now. As the pool is currently situated, it is virtually worthless, codl about 9 mo out of the year (yes, even in dead summer this rooftop pool is remarkably cold in our experience)...whereas a holidome would give this property yet another signature calling card (besides the attached mall). Oh well, one can hope, right ? I keep hoping SPG will get one single decent indoor (heated) pool property in the DFW area for our winter weekend leisure trips...to no avail so far.

This Hilton property is typically a business-class property, is very close to DFW airport, but rates drop heavily for the weekend when business travelers are not around to as low as $79. I am about 75% certain you aslo get free wireless internet in the rooms (as long as you get a room w/ decent signal).

And, FWIW, if you are HHONORS Gold, you'll get free breakfast to boot.

I don't know if this property has a shuttle to the airport, so might be worth a call.

Last edited by ILUVCITIBANK; Feb 28, 2007 at 3:52 pm
Old Feb 28, 2007, 2:03 pm

Programs: Starwood Residences Owner, AA 1MM, MP Gold, Avis-Hertz PC, Ritz Gold
I would pick the Westin over the Sheraton. The Westin just went through a multi-million $$$ renovation/re-branding and is very nice (for an airport property).

Hilton DFW Lakes is nice though too, but not sure how long your layover is to benefit from a pool/Grapevine Mills. The rooftop pool at the Westin isn't great by any means.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 5:07 pm

I've stayed at the Westin numerous times and liked it.

You may want to search the forum for previous posts about these two hotels. I think someone asked a similar question a few weeks back.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by shar161
We are just staying one night on our way to the Bahamas with 2 kids ages 10 and 13, and are only gold...which hotel is better? If I book Sheraton, is it worth booking a club level room? I think it was $30-$40 more and we'd arrive after 6pm on a Friday night, I know that some of the lounges close for the weekend . I thought it would be nice to stay at the Westin Galleria to have something to do in the evening, but found out it's 35 miles to the airport and don't want to take a taxi or get a car for such a short stay. Thanks.
I've stayed at the Sheraton and it is OK, especially for just sleeping there. The property seems a little older than most, but the rooms were clean and the beds comfortable. The staff at the club lounge was friendly. I haven't had a chance to try the Westin, but it looks nicer, at least from outside. The last time I needed a room, the Westin was considerably more expensive ($60 or $70 more) than the Sheraton (the hotels were probably full because there were a lot of flights cancelled due to weather).

The benefit from a club level room is that they do have a decent breakfast in the morning. You can get warm food. Depending on what you eat, it might be worth the extra cost. On the other hand, you might just want to ask for the upgrade when you get there. They might give it to you as a Gold.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 7:51 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by UncleDude
For a late arrival..and only a One Night stay..forget about the points unless the 1 Night is important to your requalifying.

For a Friday night, Just go to Priceline.com Bid $50 for a 3 star in the Airport area and you should get a Bargain. Maybe even the Hyatt Regency at The Terminal Complex.
Or go for the Grand Hyatt DFW. Very nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.