Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA MP Award on Aloha InterIsland Ticket [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2006, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, UA, US, SW, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors

Under the partner award section of united.com, it shows that you can get a roundtrip inter-island ticket on Aloha for 5,000 miles. However, does anyone know if they will allow you to get two, one-way tix instead of one roundtrip for the 5000 miles?
Old Jan 9, 2006, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AFAIK, all awards are for roundtrip/open jaw travel only at the published rate.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by ukguy78
Under the partner award section of united.com, it shows that you can get a roundtrip inter-island ticket on Aloha for 5,000 miles. However, does anyone know if they will allow you to get two, one-way tix instead of one roundtrip for the 5000 miles?
I recall a previous post from someone who took a 1-way ticket and was charged the full 5,000 miles so I suspect they would charge you 10,000 miles for two 1-way tickets
Old Jan 9, 2006, 7:27 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ukguy78
No, sorry. No can do.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
(just doing some researc on old threads and had to reply here for future researchers)

Actually, I believe you can. On my last trip to the islands I booked 3 one-way flights on different days - HNL-KOA-OGG-HNL. The agent told me I could take 2 legs for 5K, but 3 or 4 legs would be 10K. Other threads have indicated tickets such as HNL-LIH-KOA being ticketed for 5K.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 1:44 pm

Good luck getting that free Aloha flight!

I've tried twice in the last few weeks to use 15,000 Mileage Plus miles for three one-way OGG to LIH tix on Aloha for next June.

Each time, when I call back the next day for confirmation, United tells me Aloha has denied the free flights.

Maybe it's because they want to wait and see how fares sell closer to flight date?

I'm giving up trying.
Old Sep 24, 2006, 5:30 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Interisland flights are going for as low $50 r/t. I value my miles at $0.01 each. $52 vs. $50 worth of miles + award ticketing fees & headaches = buy the ticket

Go! by Mesa has a FF program and may start awarding reciprocal interisland credit by the time June rolls around. If not, Hawaiian offers FF credit for many different airlines excluding UA.
Old Sep 24, 2006, 6:18 am

I did three one-ways on separate days in August for only 10k miles.

HNL-LIH
LIH-OGG
OGG-HNL

I had an easy time booking the flights... and flying them.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 15, 2007 at 5:50 pm Reason: Lihu`e is LIH :-)
Old Sep 24, 2006, 9:27 am

Programs: UA1k LH-FT HHGold PC Choice
Originally Posted by Mrp Alert
Interisland flights are going for as low $50 r/t. I value my miles at $0.01 each. $52 vs. $50 worth of miles + award ticketing fees & headaches = buy the ticket

Go! by Mesa has a FF program and may start awarding reciprocal interisland credit by the time June rolls around. If not, Hawaiian offers FF credit for many different airlines excluding UA.
I redeemed SIN-NRT-HNL-NRT-SIN before. Then I also redeemed HNL-ITO-HNL for another 5K miles.

I guess I should have asked if I could do SIN-NRT-HNL, HNL-ITO, ITO-HNL-NRT-SIN on one single award. Probably not as it will involve an additional stopover!
Old Oct 17, 2006, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I can confirm that I just booked LIH-OGG-HNL for 5k miles/person for next August. The rules explicitly state one open jaw allowed.

I also noticed that, despite the UA award chart changing to 10K "within Hawaii", the Aloha partner flights are still only 5K. I hurried to book mine last Saturday to beat the point increase, and it turns out there wasn't one (unless you are trying to fly in Island Air via UA codeshare).

If you are flying to/from HNL, the low fares (driven by Go! and Island Air competition, iirc) make even a 5K award not a good use of miles. But trying to fly between the other islands it's still a good deal. Mine were 5K for a $140 ticket.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 8:36 am

Good luck

Originally Posted by nbseer

I'm giving up trying.
After three calls to convince the offshored CSRs that such an award was possible and physically talking the third step-by-step through the process (thanks FT!), I called daily for two weeks trying to get two seats HNL-LIH released from Aloha earlier this summer. No dice. I got the feeling any status whatsoever - 2P and up - would have helped, but YMMV.

The interisland price wars come and go. If you have time, watch and wait. It's a battle to the death.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 5:25 pm
Original Member

Programs: Standard Memberships in all the majors hotel, airlines and Amtrak.
United Award Travel to Hawaii question

We've successfully completed two years ago two first class award tickets on United to Hawaii. It was a hassle to get it done especially with only a three day hold maximum when booking a 10 day trip.

Now wanting to go back for a honeymoon in December, we're trying again. But this time we're seeing that getting two first class seats on the same plane over the pacific into Hawaii is virtually non-existant. It appears as if only one award seat is being loaded 331 days out.

Returning out of Honolulu, there appears to be two seats available.

Has anyone noticed this? And I wonder if they will release another seat on the outbound leading up to our trip?

We're tempted to book two tickets on back-to-back flights on the LAX-Maui and worst case see if we one of us can fly standby.

Any advice?

Thanks for your time.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 5:31 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
December 15 through January 2 is probably the worst time of the year for award availability.

If you've not already tried these: a) check for any Hawaii airport (OGG/LIH/KOA); if you can do an open jaw over the water then getting an interisland one-way is cheap, b) ask United to check for a partner award on Aloha. Aloha's first class product is very nice and they fly from SNA, OAK, plus some I'm not remembering. (It might even be possible -- although this is just a guess -- to ask them to check award availability on AC)
Old Jan 14, 2007, 5:45 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
I have been successful booking two standard coach awards and waitlisting for the saver first award. It was the same amount of miles (I don't know about now though) and you should be right in line if the waitlist clears. With a long lead time, it shouldn't prove too much of an issue.

You didn't mention what period of time in December. If it's early in the month it shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you have UA status? You could always see about booking Y on a flight and waitlisting for F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.