Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

"Flying Colors" Identity Theme Going Away? Upcoming New Livery...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2007, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold

Has anyone else noticed the decrease in empasis on Delta's "Flying Colors" Identify Theme (look at the tail of the current livery to see what I mean). SkyMiles Membership cards, Delta Credit Cards from American Express, and almost everything else used to feature this theme. In the more recent communications I've received form DL, I've noticed that they're featuring the "widget" "watermarked", instead of "flying colors". For example, my 2007 PM card is black, with the "Widget" a slightly different shade of black. My 2006 PM card was black, with "Flying colors" in shades of very dark grey. Also, "Flying Colors" is no longer part of the cabin crew uniform (ties/scarves).

Anyone think they might change the livery upon exiting bankruptcy and get rid of "Flying Colors" entirely?
Old Feb 28, 2007, 8:13 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by jimrpa
Anyone think they might change the livery upon exiting bankruptcy and get rid of "Flying Colors" entirely?
Yes. The Leo Mullin-era "wavy gravy" scheme has been steadily withdrawn over the past two years...after a Ch.11 exit, I'm sure there will be a new brand identity to signifiy the "New" post-BK Delta, most probably with a focus on the WIDGET itself (as we have already started seeing on our PM and EP packages).
Old Feb 28, 2007, 8:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
That's too bad. I think Delta has some of the prettiest tails of any plane!
Old Feb 28, 2007, 12:27 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Interesting to see this topic, when we had dinner in ATL Sunday night with a member of the DL team rebranding was one of the topics we hit on. While he didnt address the flying colors he did say that yes as part of coming through chapter 11 a firm is given money to rebrand if so desired and DL was looking at some of their options, including "tag lines". I think for DL the real challenge looks to be how to find something "fresh and exciting" without losing touch with heritage....our own Dov suggested (and I love the suggestion)..."It's My Delta, and it Shows".

Maybe we should have a DL tag line contest here on FT *smile*
Old Feb 28, 2007, 3:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Lifetime Plat, IHG SE
Originally Posted by rcherskov
That's too bad. I think Delta has some of the prettiest tails of any plane!
You can never knock pretty tails.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 5:20 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Look for some Awesome re-branding upon exiting BK. Going back to the true Delta widget, getting rid of some of the other branding, etc.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 5:23 pm

Programs: Delta
I read a discussion about this the other week on another website about this. Someone mentioned that some of that re branding is already in place. Look at the pockets that hold the tickets, or ads around the airport that use those offset blue colors. Those are the types of colors I would expect to see in the next livery on the planes as well as the widget returning to the tail.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 5:23 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Couldn't find it if you put a gun to my head, but I remember an article that quoted Grinstein saying that they were going back to the "old" DL culture and that the old widget was being brought back as the symbol of the culture of "we love to fly and it shows" and DL's former glory days.

Last edited by longing4piedmont; Feb 28, 2007 at 8:26 pm
Old Feb 28, 2007, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.1MM | Marriott Lifetime Titanium | National EE
While I am a fan of the current wavy scheme (and think that the tail is pretty now ), I am a big fan of the simplicity of the widget.

Programs: AA Platinum; US Gold; DL Silver
Hmmm. . . new slogan eh?

How about:

Delta -- Fly with Us!

*ducks and runs*

Actually, one of the things they should play up is the Atlanta hub's superior weather conditions versus Chicago for international connections. How about:

Delta -- It's Always Sunny in Atlanta

Hmmmm. . . not moving you? Perhaps another slogan. . .

Fly Delta -- We Cover Every Base From HVN to HEL
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Originally Posted by iCorpRoadie
Look for some Awesome re-branding upon exiting BK. Going back to the true Delta widget, getting rid of some of the other branding, etc.
New and Flashy is not always better!!!
Old Feb 28, 2007, 6:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
"We love to fly and it shows" is a tried and true winner in my book.

But most southerners love "Delta is ready when you are" -- which has been used many a time as a retort to someone complaining about living in the south.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 6:43 pm

Programs: 7mm DM, FC, Marriott PM (lifetime), HH Diamond
[QUOTE=Robert Leach;7316977 But most southerners love "Delta is ready when you are" -- which has been used many a time as a retort to someone complaining about living in the south.[/QUOTE]

Used that a few times myself.....to quote the late great Lewis Grizzard!
Old Feb 28, 2007, 9:12 pm

Programs: DL GM,2MM [3.37TMM]
I, for one, will not miss the "Beach Towel" livery.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 9:49 pm

Programs: Delta, SPG
a few rumors are going around regarding the rebrand most notably, the widget will be back on the tail.

i have heard many things about red being more prominent than blue ala "keep delta my delta"

hopefully Delta blue makes its way back onto the tail!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.