Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Platinum Amex Travel Benefit: 2 for 1 Domestic Coach

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2007, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

The Platinum card is now offering the Domestic Companion Airfare Program. Sounds like a nice addition to me. See for yourself at the link at the bottom of this post.

"Invite a travel companion to accompany you on your next flight. Receive complimentary companion airfare, up to four times each year, when you use your Platinum Card® to book qualifying domestic Coach-Class air travel - starting at $299 - aboard one of six major U.S. carrier. For more information or to make a reservation, call 1-866-354-8386 or the number on the back of your Card."

Some of the T&Cs are in the FAQ found at the following website. Here is some pertinent information:

1. The participating airlines are AA, UA, CO, DL, US and NW.

2. You have to pay the taxes and fees on the companion ticket and they charge a ticketing fee per ticket, $15 each, I believe.

3. Blackout dates for 2007 are: 1/1-1/4, 2/16-2/20, 4/3-4/10, 5/25, 5/26, 5/28, 7/2-7/6, 8/31, 9/3-9/4, 11/20-11/26 and 12/18-12/31.

4. Per the FAQ, tickets purchased through this program may qualify for mileage and elite perks, like upgrades. Basically it says YMMV on this.

5. Per year is based on the calendar year, not cardmember year.

6. The minimum airfare for which the program applies is higher for flights to HI.

https://www143.americanexpress.com/c...ompairfareprog
Old Mar 1, 2007, 12:48 pm

Programs: DAL Diamond, JB Mosaic, AGR Select+, SPG Plat 75, Hyatt Diamond, AXP Plat, AXP DAL Reserve, AXP SPG
I just called to get a bit more info.

For those of you with supp cardholders on your account, you get 4 awards per CARD per year -- so if you have 2 supps, you get 12 awards per year. Also, the primary ticketholder will get FF credit, the companion will not.

This seems like a great enhancement -- we'll see how well it works once we try to book something...
Old Mar 1, 2007, 1:07 pm

I always wonder about these deals and if they offer the lowest available fare over the threshold or some other fare. The Citi PremierPass allows unlimited companion tickets but I never read about people actually using it.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 1:37 pm

Programs: MS AMEX PLAT- Marriott Titanium-HH G- UA Silver-JPM RC . DL-AA-BA
I hope it is better than the citi premier pass companion program. I haven't had much luck with it. I have one advantage in that my nearest airport, EVV is normally expensive so the $299 should be no problem as most flights from there are that much to start with.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by m.photog
I hope it is better than the citi premier pass companion program. I haven't had much luck with it. I have one advantage in that my nearest airport, EVV is normally expensive so the $299 should be no problem as most flights from there are that much to start with.
I guess there will be the issues of classes Y,T,S ... (all letters of the alphabet!). That said it is a nice refreshing addition to the plat benifits. I wonder how many people will junk the Citi PP Elite program now! I was thinking of upgrading my PP to PPE. But i now see absolutely no reason to do so! THus making the search for a nice companion card for Amex plat more difficult. I guess Amex just needs to issue a visa branded companion card!

Also the business platinum seems to have the same benifits plus also access to business lounges... i am not sure what exactly the restrictions are going to be but more benifits nevertheless.

Last edited by budugu; Mar 1, 2007 at 2:07 pm
Old Mar 1, 2007, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Choice, Harrahs
dumb question dept

but platinum is platinum right

i have a hilton honors platinum card from american express so its eligible for this program right??
Old Mar 1, 2007, 2:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Premier Plat, UA Plat
Originally Posted by gbeer424
but platinum is platinum right

i have a hilton honors platinum card from american express so its eligible for this program right??
Unforunately its not. Only the actualy AXP Platinum Charge Card (or Cent) is eligible.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

great addition ^

question : supp cards have to be cent/plat or can be gold/green?

but doh, still seems similar to citi.

4. On what airlines can I book travel? Am I able to request a specific airline?

Six of the major U.S. carriers are available through this program. You can request a specific airline; however your requested airline may not be available for complimentary travel and you may be required to fly on another carrier. API agents will work with you to find the best available option given your preference and airline availability.

10. Can I book multiple fares at once, using this benefit? For example, can I utilize 2 of my 4 usages in one booking?

The Platinum Card member must be one of the travelers. If one of your traveling companions has a Platinum Card, API can book four tickets and have one of the usages count against his or her annual usage allotment. Please have the additional Card member available to confirm usage against his/her allotment.

If you would like to book two different itineraries for yourself on the same call, in which you are one of the travelers on both itineraries, you may certainly do so.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
supp cards have to be cent/plat or can be gold/green?
i think they need to be atleast plat (from the faq)
Old Mar 1, 2007, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by budugu
i think they need to be atleast plat (from the faq)
doh! thanks.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 3:13 pm

Programs: DAL Diamond, JB Mosaic, AGR Select+, SPG Plat 75, Hyatt Diamond, AXP Plat, AXP DAL Reserve, AXP SPG
the six airlines are:

"Six of the major U.S. carriers — including American, Continental, Delta, Northwest, US Airways, and United — are available through this program. You can request a specific airline; however, your requested airline may not be available for complimentary travel, and you may be required to fly on another carrier. The agent handling your booking will work with you to find the best available option given your preference and airline availability."
Old Mar 1, 2007, 4:24 pm

"$299 minimum fare if within the 48 United States (if fare is less than $299, the $299 minimum will be charged), else $899 minimum fare for travel between most major airports in the 48 states and Honolulu or Anchorage. (Note: $699 minimum fare for fares between Honolulu and one of the following airports: LAX, LAS, PHX, SEA, SFO)"

That sounds much better than the Citi PPE program - if they let you go pay the 299 for fares that cost less than that and get a free companion ticket.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

great point ^

$100 x 2 = $200
$150 x 2 = $300 (same)
$175 x 2 = $350 (save $50 by paying $300 for 2)

or $900 for 2 to Hawaii ($450 each)
Old Mar 1, 2007, 5:43 pm

Now if they would just offer this for domestic business or first class tickets, I would be thrilled...
Old Mar 1, 2007, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
great point ^

$100 x 2 = $200
$150 x 2 = $300 (same)
$175 x 2 = $350 (save $50 by paying $300 for 2)

or $900 for 2 to Hawaii ($450 each)
Can anyone confirm that it works this way? I don't have an AMEX so I can't call.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.