Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Kierland Resort & Spa, Scottsdale [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Kierland Resort & Spa, Scottsdale [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2007, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa - Scottsdale, AZ

Spent President's week at The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa... the hotel, not the timeshares.

What an AWESOME stay we had!!! I had to wait a few days to begin writing this review because my head would explode with superlative after superlative when I tried earlier. I'm warning you now, this is an embarrassingly gushing accolade to what I now think is one of the best hotels in the Country! ^

The whole thing started on this very forum. Many moons ago, I read a positive review of the Kierland here and made plans to go there with my family on vacation. After telling our friends of our plans, family after family decided to come along with us. We wound up with six families in all.

In that Flyertalk thread I mentioned, a person (make that wonderful person!!) named Jami Champagne, the Experience Director, posted a response. We contacted her to tell her about the large group (25 people in all) and ask what, if any, accomodations could be made for all of us to be somewhat near each other in the hotel (it's a very large place). We also asked about things to do for the kids and the adults.

Since we had so many children with us, they made a special Kids Camp session for us. It was timed out of synch with the normal Kids Camp to accomodate the fathers playing golf and the mothers going to the Spa.

OMG!!! The things they put together for us! We all felt like VIPs. We had provided our children's names and we arrived to find the inside of all the tubs painted with their names saying "Welcome -----!" There were fresh baked cookies and some pool toys in all the rooms!! The kids went wild! Running from room to room looking at the tubs and showing what they were given.

The fathers all got a cap and golf balls, the mothers all got caps and a Spa goody bag.

A large convention (Chick-Fil-A) was checking into the hotel the same day we were. We were contacted a day or two before we arrived to say special accomodations were made for us to check in with the valet... no need to stand in line with the convention people.

The entire time we were made to feel like VIPs! It goes down in the books as one of my best stay experiences... EVER. I've stayed at GREAT Hotels in Europe and have been upgraded to some spectacular suites, but the manner in which we were treated at the Kierland has everything beat.

People fell all over themselves making sure we had everything we needed. Their suggestions for activities, like horseback riding and things to do on the Apache Trail were absolutely excelent. They helped us hire a private tour bus (just our families) for a trip to Sedona and Jerome. Set up the kids with tennis lessons (Instructor was fantastic with the kids).

The rooms were pristine and emaculate. We had kids literally tearing these rooms up... and every day they were emaculate again.

The service at the pool was exceptional. One of the kids spilled a Mom's Pina Colada and before we could even ask for a replacement, the guy was coming over with it at no charge. He must have spied the mishap from across the pool area and had another made immediately.

The food was superb, the people were gracious-supportive-helpful-nice... arghh!... my head is gonna explode because I can't think of enough superlatives to adequately express myself.

^ SERIOUSLY!!! YOU GOTTA GO THERE!!!!! NO KIDDING!!!! ^

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Feb 2, 2009 at 6:00 pm Reason: Pre 2007 stay reports http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-preferred-guest/917463-westin-kierland-resort-spa-scottsdale-pr
Old Mar 1, 2007, 1:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Premier Plat, UA Plat
Thanks for the review!

My gf and I are going to be staying in the Villas in May, so I'm very glad to hear such a great review. How is the pool area? I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Gainey Ranch a few years back and was blown away by the pools - I assume Kierland is not quite the same. Also, did you happen see the timeshares at all? Cant wait till May!
Old Mar 1, 2007, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by california09
Thanks for the review!

My gf and I are going to be staying in the Villas in May, so I'm very glad to hear such a great review. How is the pool area? I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Gainey Ranch a few years back and was blown away by the pools - I assume Kierland is not quite the same. Also, did you happen see the timeshares at all? Cant wait till May!
There is an adult pool and a family pool area. Obviously, we were in the family area. The pool was very nice. There was a hot tub, lazy river and a very nice slide for the kids. The kids had a BLAST! Honestly, we lacked nothing. The kids were busy with the pool toys they were given, sliding and floating on the lazy river. There wasn't one single moment any of them were bored or not running to do something. They thought it was fantastic... and don't think for a moment these kids don't know what a good time is... these kids are well traveled and jaded.

I re-read my post and it just doesn't do the experience justice. It's like trying to capture the Grand Canyon on film... it's just not gonna happen. This place needs to be experienced.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Also, did you happen see the timeshares at all? Cant wait till May!
Opps, forgot to mention the timeshare thing. They're all sold out. It no wonder why. This place is fantastic!
Old May 16, 2007, 8:32 am

Smile Westin Kierland - Scottsdale, Arizona

Hey all,

A few months back I posted that I was going on vacation to the Westin Kierland Villas in Scottsdale. Well, that time is finally here! (well, on Friday). Thanks to those of you who gave me advice before regarding the villas.

My question now is what ms. california09 and I should spend my time doing while there. Can you all give any 'reviews' of the golf course, spa, pools, etc? Also we will have a rental car, so are there any places in the area that you would consider "can't miss" destinations? We are planning on playing some golf, going hiking, etc. Any and all advice is welcome.

Thanks!
Old May 16, 2007, 9:37 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Hey all,

A few months back I posted that I was going on vacation to the Westin Kierland Villas in Scottsdale. Well, that time is finally here! (well, on Friday). Thanks to those of you who gave me advice before regarding the villas.

My question now is what ms. california09 and I should spend my time doing while there. Can you all give any 'reviews' of the golf course, spa, pools, etc? Also we will have a rental car, so are there any places in the area that you would consider "can't miss" destinations? We are planning on playing some golf, going hiking, etc. Any and all advice is welcome.

Thanks!
Please note that the Villas is actually a separate property from the Resort/Hotel. It is a short drive or a very long walk away. Most of the service amenities at the hotel, including the restaurants and lounges, are not present at the Villas. There is a pool at the Villas, however.

You might note that it has already been quite hot in Phoenix - over 100. Depending on how long you are going to stay, you might want to drive up to Sedona.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 9:19 am

Programs: HP
Great rate of $129 at Westin Kierland in Scottsdale

I was looking for an easy weekend resort trip here in AZ and found this great offer at Westin Kierland in Scottsdale on travelzoo. It is $129 night with 20% off at their outlets. Do you know if these rates allow points?

http://hotels.travelzoo.com/resorts-spas/304391

http://hotels.travelzoo.com/resorts-spas/304391
Old Jun 6, 2007, 9:23 am

I just got back from a stay at the Kierland Villas (but we spent some time at the hotel as well) - the place is amazing! Highly recommended, especially at a rate like that (though probably sooner rather than later as its getting hot!)
Old Jun 6, 2007, 9:26 am

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
Looks like you would get points for that rate.. pretty good deal ^
Old Jun 6, 2007, 10:45 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
The link takes you to starwood.com so you should get points. PHX hotels in the summer are begging people to say in them. Sometime the stay is almost free when you consider the value of stay, plat and promo points and food at the lounges.

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Jun 7, 2007 at 1:12 pm
Old Jun 6, 2007, 10:47 am
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Thanks to those who reported that they would prefer this thread is kept open; we appreciate your feedback!

ldsant
*wood co-Moderator

Last edited by ldsant; Jun 6, 2007 at 5:38 pm
Old Jun 13, 2007, 12:27 pm
In memoriam

The TravelZoo link does not work any more but below is the direct link. I believe the original T&Cs stated that it must be booked by today (June 13, 2007). Can anyone confirm this? $129++ (prepaid, no refund, no changes) is a great rate for this property. On my stay last week my platinum upgrade was a junior suite on the club floor. Normal rate $500++.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin...VEL_WI_1386_AZ Looks like the promo is gone. The best rate I can find now is $155 (refundable) for AAA members.

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Jun 20, 2007 at 4:24 pm
Old Jun 13, 2007, 2:37 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
On a related note, I recently spotted the nearby Sheraton Wild Horse Pass participating in the AmEx 3rd night free promo to average out to $112 per night. I think that this was the link from the spg.com homepage...
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/promot...GHP_3for2_JULY

Prices plummet in the Phoenix area during July and August. I've been there during that time of year when it was 115 during the day and still 100 at midnight. It's a dry heat -- like a convection oven.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 2:49 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by sc flier
...On a related note, I recently spotted the nearby Sheraton Wild Horse Pass participating in the AmEx 3rd night free promo to average out to $112 per night. I think that this was the link from the spg.com homepage...
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/promot...GHP_3for2_JULY

For this promo to get the Wild Horse you need to select Chandler, not Phoenix for the city. Chandler is a south suburb of Phoenix. Most of the SPG searches will find the Wild Horse when you select Phoenix but not this one.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 3:34 pm

I stayed at the Kierland two summers ago at an amazing rate of $59 a night through Travelzoo. Although quite a bargain at twice that price, I found the hotel to be a bit neglected. It was as if somebody with a ton of money built a four diamond hotel and then had no idea how to operate or maintain it. The lifeguards spent more time in the pools than they did watching the guests. The level of service was that of a Holiday Inn; however, even on that low of a rate, I was upgrated to a casita and had access to the club lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.