Search

American Express (USA) Platinum fee $450

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2007, 8:31 am
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
American Express (USA) Platinum fee $450

The Domestic Companion Airfare Program discussed in another thread is only one of a bundle of changes, including an increase in the annual fee from $395 to $450...

https://www143.americanexpress.com/c...Id=platinumfaq

There is a corresponding increase in the fee for the Business Platinum card, $300 to $395, which has been enhanced to include the Domestic Companion Airline Program plus a Platinum Office Program (Regus membership). There is no mention of automatic Starwood Gold status with the Business card.

http://www201.americanexpress.com/sb...b&iep=40&ct=16.

Last edited by mia; Mar 2, 2007 at 9:09 am
Old Mar 2, 2007, 9:07 am

Programs: DAL Diamond, JB Mosaic, AGR Select+, SPG Plat 75, Hyatt Diamond, AXP Plat, AXP DAL Reserve, AXP SPG
atleast platinum supps remain unchanged:

Consumer Platinum Card members currently pay a $395 annual fee. Starting March 1, 2007, all new accounts will be charged an annual fee of $450. Effective May 1, existing Card members will begin paying the $450 annual fee upon their next fee renewal. There are no changes to the Additional Card fee, which is $175 for up to three Additional Platinum Cards and $175 for each Additional Platinum Card after the first three.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 9:53 am

So, they take away the everyday spending bonus Now the raise the price and give us some kind of domestic two for one. Anyone know if this is one of thoses "buy a full fare coach ticket and get one free" thing like the international business class offer. I can see it now.. buy one coach ticket for 1400 and get one free or w/o the card buy (2) 250.00 coach tickets directly from the airline.. what a good deal!
Old Mar 2, 2007, 9:57 am

Programs: DAL Diamond, JB Mosaic, AGR Select+, SPG Plat 75, Hyatt Diamond, AXP Plat, AXP DAL Reserve, AXP SPG
well said, IAH Oil Man. that's my biggest concern with the new program -- offer a new "benefit" to justify the fee increase that ends up being totally worthless like the international program IMO...
Old Mar 2, 2007, 10:39 am

Programs: American Express Platinum Card
supposedly the Centurion fee will increase to 5,000 as per my conversation with the platinum rep. today. not sure how true this is but its interesting none the less.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 4:23 pm

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Very glad that my renewal fee was just processed at the end of February!
Old Mar 2, 2007, 4:36 pm

regarding centurion fees i wonder if the $5K annual fee is just for new cardmembers or for the entire installed base. when they raised the fee from $1K to $2.5K a few years ago, the existing cardmembers were grandfathered at $1K.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by mia
There is no mention of automatic Starwood Gold status with the Business card.
It's still on the benefits:
http://www133.americanexpress.com/os...1_Starwood.asp
Old Mar 2, 2007, 5:14 pm

Also, additional cards on a Biz card are going up to $200. Guess I'm gonna have to switch back to the personal Platinum (or look into the IDC if they don't change the fees on that).

Terrible deal, $395 + $200 = $595 for TWO cards, where $450 + $175 = $625 for up to FOUR cards. Amazing that the cost of two cards is going from $450 to $595.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 7:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL, HHonors, AA, US, Aloha Pass, BA, CO, HawaiianMiles, Chairman, Centurion, AXP, MR, MHC Gold
This makes my Chairman more valuable every day. I am not going to consider dropping this card as well. Fees are getting out of hand. If we continue to pay the fees when they increase, they will have no incentive to drop the fees.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i KNEW this was coming, im glad i upgraded when i did, ive only had my Plat about a year.

edit - wait what the hell?

Effective May 1, existing Card members will begin paying the $450 annual fee upon their next fee renewal.
why the hell do we get hit and not centurion?

theyre not raising the cent to $5000

and the supp cards never go up do they? arent those fees linked to the annual fee, and you are assigned both, based on when you got the card?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 2, 2007 at 7:34 pm
Old Mar 2, 2007, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA, USAir, CO, SAS, AmexMR Plat, Starwood
very dissapointing. a huge increase for business plat. and I will rarely have an opportunity to use domestic 2 for 1 (not a great deal now anyway with the $95 increase) as I usually travel international...
Old Mar 2, 2007, 10:01 pm

Gold Rewards and SPG look better everyday
Old Mar 3, 2007, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
$450, eh? Brits have been paying £300 - around $585 - for a year now.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Anyone know the scoop on the Regus membership?
Can we just show up to a regis office with a biz plat and get in?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.