Wiki Posts
Search

New USA Centurion Fees - Just confirmed on the phone

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2007, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
New USA Centurion Fees - Just confirmed on the phone

After seeing some people talking about raising the annual fees for Centurion card holders, I hopped on the phone to customer service and the first person claimed to have no knowledge of any changes, but the second one knew exactly what the deal is:

Starting May 1st, *new* Centurion Card members will be charged a US$5000 initiation fee - a one time charge - then the annual fee after that will be $2500.

Holy godzooks. She confirmed that *existing* members will not have any change of fees, including those of us that were grandfathered in at the original $1000 fee.

It is an interesting change in the way they are doing memberships - rather than bury it in the annual fee they are charging you a "friendship" fee of $5k, as well as the $2500 a year.

When I asked why the unusual pricing model, she said it was because of a lot of the benefits are expensive to them up front, and this helps absorb the costs.

I wonder how this is going to change new cardholders? I suppose it will be more of a status thing, basically saying "I have $5k of totally expendable income." This has to be a deep cut into new card members, as seen in postings on the forums, the $2500 took some serious rationalization.

Thoughts?

--Doug
Old Mar 2, 2007, 6:31 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by DMSFCA
... rather than bury it in the annual fee they are charging you a "friendship" fee of $5k, as well as the $2500 a year.
Is it your understanding that the inital year would cost 5000 + 2500 = $7500, or is it $5000 for the first year, $2500 thereafter?
Old Mar 2, 2007, 6:33 pm

My guess is that this has to do with the fact that more and more people are requesting the Centurion card, rather than waiting for an invite. Amex feels they will be willing to pay this fee. Let's face it, if you're charging $250K a year and paying $2500 annually, another 5K really isn't a big amount.

I worked at the Amex Members Lounge at the Short Hills Mall this holiday season. The number one question I was asked was, "How do I get the black card?" Interesting note as well: the signage that Amex provided to the front desk had pictures of all the cards that could be used to gain entrance into the lounge, including the Centurion. It was the first time I'd seen any sort of "admission" by Amex that the card even exists.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 6:40 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by climbermom
I worked at the Amex Members Lounge at the Short Hills Mall this holiday season.
What was this? (i.e., what did they do?)
Old Mar 2, 2007, 6:42 pm

Programs: QF LTS, AA 2MM, CO
FWIW - In Australia, the Centurion has jumped from AU2800pa to AU4300pa.

Best part is, according to the lack of information accompanying the new card (the metal one) the benefits seem to have decreased...
Old Mar 2, 2007, 6:50 pm

Im wondering if they are going to ease up on the spending requirements after adding the one-time inital fee?
Old Mar 2, 2007, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Is it your understanding that the inital year would cost 5000 + 2500 = $7500, or is it $5000 for the first year, $2500 thereafter?
Good question, I didn't think to ask, I probably was still in the "I'm not on the hook for this, right?" mode.

I was rather surprised that the first person I called had absolutely no knowledge of it and I asked the question several different ways.

I hung up and called back and the second person knew it so well it was as if she had the memo in front of her.

The other thing I wondered after I hung up was if this fee would be charged to new additional cardholders on your account (ie: spouse) if you were an existing holder, like if I've had the card for years and after May add my daughter, does she have to pay $5k?

Also, for new members, does the $5k cover you and any additional cards, or is it $5k per card? I'd guess the $5k is for the primary cardholder, and additional cards could be added at $1500 per person, like it is now for the non-grandfathered.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 7:04 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
What was this?
http://home3.americanexpress.com/cor...ers_lounge.asp
Old Mar 2, 2007, 7:08 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
What- we couldn't get this at the Beverly Center, too?!
Old Mar 2, 2007, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

I worked at the Amex Members Lounge at the Short Hills Mall this holiday season. The number one question I was asked was, "How do I get the black card?" Interesting note as well: the signage that Amex provided to the front desk had pictures of all the cards that could be used to gain entrance into the lounge, including the Centurion. It was the first time I'd seen any sort of "admission" by Amex that the card even exists.
Did you see many Cent cards during the holidays? I'm always curious how many are really in circulation. The guy at the ski rental place at Sundance said that mine was the 7th he had seen that season, Amex once told me that there were less than 10k in the US.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

initiation fees are not that big of a deal IMHO.

sure itd be nice not to have it, but its only a one time fee.

i presume this means theyll be starting to do it in more countries. i believe its asia that theyve had it so far, now USA, probably EU to follow..
Old Mar 2, 2007, 9:29 pm

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Originally Posted by SteveT
Im wondering if they are going to ease up on the spending requirements after adding the one-time inital fee?
I'm sure they will. Think its more a marketing issue than anything else - to preserve exclusivity. Amex feel that part of the attraction of getting the card is that you are getting something most people can't have - even for money. You have to prove your worthiness. But at the same time they will want as many cardholders as possible. Once they think they've got the thinking over and have got as many signed up on that basis as possible, they start turning it into cash... ie you too can have it now for the entry fee. Don't suppose many people will drop Cent if it becomes available to all-comers for a fat entry fee. And anyway, those that do drop it (especially those that are grandfathered) will represent little fee income lost compared with the gain from new comers - all thinking they are buying their way into something special. Commission on spend might well remain as many would just drop back to Plat anyway.

Feel its a bit slash and burn. I remember getting Plat thinking part of the attraction was it was "invite only" (that's what they told me). Within weeks it was available to all comers subject to a routine credit check.

Just a ratchet job.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 10:45 pm

Amex has lost thier marbles.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by DMSFCA
Did you see many Cent cards during the holidays? I'm always curious how many are really in circulation. The guy at the ski rental place at Sundance said that mine was the 7th he had seen that season, Amex once told me that there were less than 10k in the US.
We usually had 6 or 7 each day, out of a few thousand total cards. The funniest part was that there would always be someone who would throw it down on the counter and say, "I'll bet you've never seen one of these before!" ("Yeah, other than the one in my wallet" was what I wanted to say...) The platinum cardholders, however, were usually the most obnoxious.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 10:06 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
We usually had 6 or 7 each day, out of a few thousand total cards. The funniest part was that there would always be someone who would throw it down on the counter and say, "I'll bet you've never seen one of these before!" ("Yeah, other than the one in my wallet" was what I wanted to say...) The platinum cardholders, however, were usually the most obnoxious.
Ahh Franklin Lakes, that's awesome! I'm a Wyckoff boy myself.

Anyway, eveeeryone in NY Metro who wants one has one, they're a dime a dozen, nothing to be impressed by and I'm surprised people would do that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.