Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

What are your favorite travel clothes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2007, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

I have a few things I always reach for when packing: my Solumbra or Ex Officio long-sleeved shirts that are cool but offer total sun protection, my Patagonia black yoga pants that can be slept in and still look good, a large dark-print cotton pareo from Patagonia that is great to sit on or cover up with, my Bagallini super-organized small handbag, and my squishable Columbia sun hat.

What are the first things you grab for, or wish you'd had on your last adventure? Does anyone swear by those multi-pocketed vests or other specialty travel clothing? Tilley hats? Perfect travel undergarments?
Old Mar 5, 2007, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA Platunum
My most frequent trips are to Paris - about 2 - 3 times a year. So whatever I'm wearing at home in NYC is what I pack to take with me since they're parallel universes.

I'm headed there again in a few weeks and for the plane I'll probably wear a velour skirt, ankle high boots and a loose sweater layered over a long sleeved tee. Most likely I'll wear a raincoat or a lightweight alpaca coat.

If I'm off to Australia, where I hope to go for the 6th time next February, I'll bring yoga pants to sleep in during the flight along with a twin set in a tee shirt material.
For daywear, I'll simply bring linen pants, cotton tee's, flat sandals and a rain jacket. Then some nicer pants or skirts and tops and high heeled sandals for dining out. Squishable/packable sunhat is a must.

If I'm in a place where I'm nervous about pick-pockets, I'll wear an undergarment money holder inside the waistband of my pants.

I wouldn't be caught dead in one of those multi-pocketed vests. (It's ok for camping or wilderness vacations, but those are not my kind of vacations) That look is right up there with shorts, sneakers and bumbags/fanny packs.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 7:22 pm

I don't wear anything different than I normally would, but then again I am not American and don't wear a lot of the items Molly noted at the end of her post either (this reminds me of another thread we had going)

I normally bring some skirts, dark boot cut jeans, comfortable but stylish shoes like Geox, dark coat or jacket, dark tights, scarves and shawls. For work I expand it with my usual work suits - dark for Europe, a few more colours for America.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 12:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
I live in Chico's Travelers clothes, both on and off the road. They make it so easy to look wonderful all of the time, even when spending a week abroad with a single carry-on. ^
Old Mar 7, 2007, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by Punki
I live in Chico's Travelers clothes, both on and off the road. They make it so easy to look wonderful all of the time, even when spending a week abroad with a single carry-on. ^
I wear Misook if it's business travel and some personal travel as well. It saves a fortune on dry cleaning bills and time and effort on ironing at hotels. I will have to check out Chico's Travelers soon.

OK I just checked out Chico's Travelers on the web, when I get home I am definitely visiting a Chico's. They have a lot of cute styles.

Last edited by MissJoeyDFW; Mar 7, 2007 at 9:11 pm Reason: updated comment
Old Mar 7, 2007, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I have quite a few staples from Chico's too. Love that store more than any other! The Travellers line is great, though I often travel to really hot weather places and I'm not sure a whole wardrobe of it would work for me. But their Spa line is terrific for casual clothes, and select pieces of the Travellers line can really dress up your travel wardrobe.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 9:31 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Not a fan of Chico's. My favorite travel clothes are comfortable, made of natural fibers (e.g. cotton, silk, cashmere). Colors are monochromatic. Read black & beige. This combo, along with my favorite jeans seem to work anywhere in the world.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 6:57 am
Original Member

Programs: AC
Also not a fan of the travel knits a la Chico's. I believe you are referring to those slinky knits. I'm sure they travel well and look good, but I find them too hot in warmer climates, where I'm likely to be going.

I'm always looking for good lightweight travel clothes. Look forward to other suggestions.

Lorna
Old Mar 8, 2007, 8:26 am

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush.
As a result of this forum, I was introduced to LLBean's Perfect Fit pants and they are excellent-----------SO comfortable yet smart. I love them.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 1:47 pm
tlc

Programs: AA Platinum
Travel in the US I usually just wear 'regular' but comfy clothes. Longer flights I like my Ex-Officio shirts cause they are light and don't wrinkle much when you sleep in them. I will usually wear jeans or nice sweat pants. Oh and always Merrell mocs or clogs. They come off at the security line and they don't care if your feet swell.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 3:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Be sure to go into the store, MissJoeyDFW . They always have a lot of great stuff that is not available on line.

The Chico's silk tops are amazing. Very elegant and exotic. I have about 25 of them that I have collected over the past few years and love them all. Everybody at church knows how much we travel and just assumes that I collect my wonderful clothes all around the world. When I tell them that I get many of them at Chicos, they don't believe me.

When they get old, I cut my Travelers pants off and make them into shorts, which are marvelous for hot weather, as are the Travelers crop pants, worn with a light-weight cotton or rayon shirt. Now finding really nice, short-sleeved, cotton or rayon shirts can be a bit of a challenge. I was lucky enough to pick up three new ones at some store in Honolulu this past January, so that should hold me for a while.

I even get my cotton Gilly work out shirts at Chicos. I love them because they have scooped necks and little cap sleeves. Very cool and attractive.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 5:24 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold
I always travel with at least one cotton white shirt and pair black pants, a few t-shirts, thin cashmere cardigan, pashmina, Nike or Puma sneakers. The rest are my normal clothes.

Not clothes but for international travel, also my 220V Elchim hairdryer. A must for me.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 4:45 pm

My favorite travel clothes are a nice pair of jeans and white shirt and a pair of brown driving mocs. I never have to take them off to get through security. I also travel with a wrap in my carry on bag.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by MollyNYC
I wouldn't be caught dead in one of those multi-pocketed vests. (It's ok for camping or wilderness vacations, but those are not my kind of vacations) That look is right up there with shorts, sneakers and bumbags/fanny packs.
Agree with you about those vests, but there are a lot places I like wearing shorts and sneakers, although very rarely do I wear a hip pack.

If we're touring the capitals of Europe, I'm likely to wear wrinkle resistant slacks and nice tee/casual blouse with SAS walking shoes. I've reached the age (and it is well under 50!) where I value comfort in shoes more than looks and the SAS are so well made I can leave out the orthotics and still be pain free. Nighttime, I like swirly skirts, a silky blouse and dressy leather flats.

However, I do a lot of traveling with my 7 year old. As a family, we do bike treks, hiking, beachcombing and the occasional amusement park - at these venues, sneaks and shorts make sense, and if you're climbing sand dunes and riding coasters, the hip pack can very useful, too.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
I've reached the age (and it is well under 50!) where I value comfort in shoes more than looks and the SAS are so well made I can leave out the orthotics and still be pain free.
This gave me a chuckle! I'm 49 (really) and have had foot surgery after too many years of wearing the shoes corporate America endorses. I've changed careers and given up the bad shoes, for work and travel. I now have a whole wardrobe of Merrells, which just seem to fit my particular foot issues (except for the new pair I tried to break in while hiking the Virgin River in Zion National Park last year). I think I used a fanny pack on that trip too, but it did have a Patagonia label, so I thought that might help

So far, I've managed to resist the vest, though...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.