Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Calgary Sheraton Eau Claire Suites or Cavalier [Master Thread]

Calgary Sheraton Eau Claire Suites or Cavalier [Master Thread]

Old Jul 19, 2003, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Arrow Calgary Sheraton Eau Claire Suites or Cavalier [Master Thread]

Just got back from the Sheraton Suites Calgary (Eau Claire). Haven't seen a post on it in a while, so I thought I would pipe in.

First, let me say that this property should be a model for all Sheratons, even though the Suites have a slightly different model. The employees were friendly, helpful and went out of their way to smile and be pleasant. When I checked in, the clerk recognized my status and discussed the Sheraton Promise. The club level offered free internet access and real hors d'oeuvres, although it was the first time I had ever been charged for a soda in a club lounge. The pool was great, and had a slide for kids (and adults, for that matter). Location was also nice, in downtown Calgary. This is an excellent hotel and Starwood has a reason to be proud of it.

The only "negative" incident was a one-timer; the first night (morning?) of my stay, the fire alarm went off at 2:15 a.m. Ugh. The next morning, I found a note under my door stating that, as a way of making up for the fire alarm, I was entitled to an upgrade to the club level the next time I stayed there. All I had to do was present this letter when I checked in. The only problem, of course, is that as a platinum, I should be upgraded ahead of time anyway. In other words, the only people who would not benefit from the letter were Starwood's most loyal customers. Oh well, you win some and you lose some...

Fire alarms aside, this is a fantastic hotel. It was my first time in a Sheraton Suites, but it is encouraging to see such a nice Sheraton property.

Mike
Old Jul 19, 2003, 10:20 pm

I concur with the views expressed. I have stayed at the Sheraton Suites in Calgary and it has always been a pleasant experience. Even as a Gold member I was upgraded to Club Level, whereas at the uppity Sheraton Montreal I had to argue for my upgrades. As a Platinum, I have been treated exceptionally well at this property. Great work.
Old Aug 10, 2003, 10:55 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM, AC SE*100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Calgary Sheraton Cavalier and Four Points

Hi All,

Just leaving Calgary now after a two Fabulous night stays at the Calgary Eau Claire Sheraton.

This hotel is absolutely wonderful... SERVICE is BEYOND OUTSTANDING

KEY HIGHLIGHTS:
(1) SERVICE - 6 out of 5!
Arrived at the hotel front door around 8pm. was immediately helped by the valet attendant.. Asked for my name. I gave him the keys and without asking he carried by bags out from the car.

Went to the front desk to check-in, and immediately without me saying anything, the check-in agent greeted me by name and welcomed me to the hotel. As a platinum, was given an upgrade to a whirlpool/jacuzzi suite. Was also asked what i would like for a Platinum Amenity gift: Options were beyond the standard of 500 Starpoints, free movie. It also had a fruit basket and 2 other things that I couldn't remember.

Also was given information about the lounge access and breakfast and d'hor Deourves. Check-in took less than 2 minutes and I was wisked to my room.

I entered the room, and there on the bed was a tray with 2 green apples, 2 tea mugs with herbal tea bags, two chocolates, and the weather report for the next day, with my name addressed on the report.

On the table was stationery with my name on the letter head and a welcome message from the manager (my name was on the envelop engraved).... Immediately upon the arrival in the room, the door knocked and the hotel staff delivered my fruit basket which included: a pear, banana, orange, a bottle of Perrier and a tin can full of sugar candy. What a treat that was!!

Was extremely hungry, and so called Room service. A very pleasant room service agent picked up the phone and took my order. I had a big order: Thai shrimp, Grilled lamb, banana cake for dessert. He said the order would be about 20 minutes. (I didn't believe him since I never had room service that quick for that kind of order). I was wrong. The food arrived at exactly 17 minutes after the call. On the table was an added bonus: a plate of cookies with a message written in chocolate on the plate: "Welcome back, You're number 1" and a bowl of ice- cream - totally unexpected and a nice touch.

An hour and a half later, got a call fro Room service asking if the meal was to my satisfactory!

The next morning, went to the Club Lounge on the 15th floor - They have a really nice breakfast buffet (and not just continental. There were bacon, sausages, eggs, french toast, smoked salmon, smoked tuna, all sorts of fruits and juices, pastries and breads.

Was greet with a warm welcome when I walked in the Club lounge. There was a nice outside patio. Once I sat down, the server came and asked if he could bring me coffee - NICE

Went back to my room after a hearty breakfast, and on the way, the housekeeping staff who were in the hallway all said good morning... When I got to the room, the door was open and there was a lady holding a clip board in the room - apparently she is a room inspector (I was told that once a room has been cleaned, she is sent to each of the room to ensure everything was in order). She apologized to me that two bottle water that I drank yesterday were not filled by housekeeping and that she was going to go right away to get them for me....
- - - - - -
The Room is A+ - large, almost 600sqft.. The hotel is an all suites hotel. Prefered guests stay on the 12th floor - the Preferred Room. Attention to detail is clearly evident in the room. Tissue papers are folded into flowers above the Klenex box. When you turn on the bathroom lights, the lights come on slowly.. so as not to blind you when you get up from the dark. 2 tvs, 3 phones, nice bath robes, slippers..
- - - - - -
This is a truly outstanding Sheraton. I stayed at the Westin a few years ago.. and it pales in comparison. The service and attention to details are incredible... All of the staff that I met seem to exude a pride in their work and go above and beyond . It takes only a little effort, but it pays off incredibly. I have stayed at a lot of Sheraton, but this is the best so FAR! It certainly beats some of the Luxury collection hotels in terms of service. Too bad not all Sheratons treat their guest in this manner..

Though I don't go to Calgary often, I will certainly make this hotel my favorite for Calgary!

Thanks Randy Zupanski (the GM) and the rest of the staff for outstanding service
Old Aug 10, 2003, 8:34 pm

acfly and mikeef, welcome to Calgary. You are absolutely correct--this is a great hotel--location, service, cleanliness and friendliness are beyond compare--Maybe the staff from Sheraton Centre in Toronto could come here for training and learn something. We can always hope.

I stay at the Sheraton Eau Claire whenever I can and no I do not live in Calgary
Old Aug 13, 2003, 6:03 pm

Stay there at the beginning of the Calgary Stampede this year (which happened to be July Fourth weekend). No upgrade since the hotel is fully booked. No club floor means no complementary internet access. Internet access at the lounge was not working. The evening spread was OK, certainly much better than average US club lounge. Didnt get to try their buffet breakfast. Since this is a all suite hotel, the room is nice compare to regular room in others but I wont say the best of Starwoods.

I agree with ACfly that the service is incredible. Everyone were so nice and cheerful. The strangest thing is this upscale hotel has coin laundry on the 12th floor (which is also very clean). A big convenient if you are on a long trip.
Old May 15, 2004, 6:58 am

Calgary Sheraton Eau Claire

Just spent two nights at the Calgary Sheraton Eau Claire.
Staff is excellent, food is ok, rooms are suites but tight.
Good location if you need to be downtown in Calgary.
Old May 15, 2004, 11:54 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP - Aeroplan 50K
Club Level Very Nice !

Was in a Club level suite (weekend) for $189 CAD - decent deal, bedroom area tight w/ two queen beds, nice sitting/bath/business/kitchenette areas, Club level gorgeous and well-provisioned, staff incredibly helpful and accommodating. Would recommend it to anyone !
Old May 16, 2004, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA 1k, *W Plat., AA Gold, Hertz PC
Just spent a night at the Calgary Sheraton Cavalier. The hotel was great; friendly service, upgraded to a suite; and nice steakhouse restaurant. Would reccommend to anyone needing to stay near the airport.

J
Old Jun 30, 2004, 5:36 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Sheraton Eau Claire. Hands down. One of the newest hotels in the city.

I've also just recently stayed at the Westin Calgary, which is pretty close by. They don't have an executive floor (they do have SPG floors). But, as of July, they will be changing their old monthly h'ors d'oeurves night into a weekly thing, every Wednesday. I was first told only Golds & Plats were allowed but my colleagues (who are basic) were also invited. Excellent selection of hot and cold snacks, and unbelievable desserts. They also have beer/wine for it.

Close to both of these hotels is the island (forget the name) which is a little past the Eau Claire area. The hotel is River Cafe and offers some very good dining, although there are also a lot of restaurants in the Eau Claire area.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Sheraton is the preferred property, much larger and nicer rooms. The Westin is connected to the +15 walkway system, but since it won't be winter -- well it has been known to snow in the summer in Calgary -- you can walk outside so won't need it much. The Sheraton is adjacent to a market much like Feneuil in Boston, lots of restaurants, etc.
Old Jul 1, 2004, 6:48 am

Oh - and hands down in Calgray - the Sheraton Eau Claire is your best bet. Vancouver had a version of this hotel "The Sheraton Soleil" I think the Sheratons in western Canada were experimenting with the boutique hotel concept almost W Hotelsh - as these two properties opened around the same time. Today the Soleil is not a *starwood however they are trying to return as a W - again rumor rumor.
Old Jul 1, 2004, 9:02 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA Gold, SPG Plat
My vote also goes to the Sheraton Eau Claire. The club lounge is by far the best lounge I have ever been to. They had multiple hot food choices and even made Belgian waffles on request. The hotel's staff were also very friendly and helpful. At check-in, they apologized profusely for not being able to upgrade my room as a result of a huge wedding party staying at the property. The basic room that I had booked was still a fairly large suite so I had no complaints.

In terms of Banff, I agree that the Four Points is a great bet. I believe it was only 2,000 points when I stayed. As a result of the hotel being so close to the highway the ride into Banff was very short. I also got upgraded to a loft suite with an enormous jacuzzi in the bedroom. Enjoy your trip to Calgary, and try to make it to Banff if you can. It's absolutely beautiful!
Old Aug 3, 2004, 10:35 pm

Programs: AC MM
Really delightful Sheraton in Calgary, Canada

I've spent the last 4 days in the Sheraton Cavalier Hotel in Calgary, and I will be here until the end of the week. This is my first stay in this hotel, and I am really, really impressed with it.

Whoever is responsible for the staff hiring and staff training here deserves a Freddy award. Without exception, every single employee I have met has been courteous, friendly, and has really paid attention to what I have asked for, and to the work that they do. No 'multi-tasking', no 'I'm bored', no 'go see someone else'. The difference that this makes to the quality of the stay in the hotel is remarkable. My guess is that the hotel is recruiting very carefully, making sure that they only hire people who are polite and friendly to begin with, and once they hire them, they are actually giving the employees a few days training both in general customer relations and in the details of how to do their job before they let the employee loose.

This past weekend has been a long weekend in Canada, and this hotel has a huge waterslide in it. So, the hotel has been full of families with 3 to 12 year old kids. Normally, kids this age consider a hotel to be nothing more than a big jail administered by adults, but because of the waterslide, all the little kids are pretty happy to be here. The staff of the hotel are aware that there are two groups of customers with very different interests - business travellers like myself, and families with kids who are here for the waterslide - and they do a very good job of keeping the two groups from getting on each other's nerves. We business types are put on the 8th floor, which seems to be a Club floor of some kind (it has a free breakfast and evening hors d'oeuvres facility), and the families with kids are generally put on the 2nd and 3rd floors, which have direct access to the waterslide. The net result is that when I do see kids in the lobby or elevators, they are pretty happy, and not running around because they have the waterslide to play with, but I don't seem them up on my floor.

The rooms (8th floor, anyway) have recently been renovated and are very well equipped. I have a 'all in one' printer, fax, and copier in my room (free), a new 30" plus flat screen TV, and a bed with a goose down duvet and down pillows.

The only negative of this hotel is that internet access (high-speed Ethernet) costs $13 a day, which works out to about $15 a day with the taxes. I think this is a little high for in-room high speed internet, but the room rate is pretty reasonable ($129 a night), so all in all it's a washout in the end.

Final verdict: Despite being Hilton Diamond (and SPG nobody), and having the choice of staying at a new Garden Inn across the street for about $50 a night less, I think I'll stay at this hotel whenever I come to Calgary in the future. The quality of the staff selection, staff training, and customer service at this hotel is equal to the very best 5 star hotels in Asia.

MaxPower
Old Aug 3, 2004, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I agree absolutely.

Mrs. hawaiisloth and I were at the hotel for a one night award stay (as a discounted points rate) prior to flying out of YYC.

I have no status anymore (I used to be somebody) but they upgraded me to the Club Floor--the room was great.

The exercise room (the treadmills with TVs overlooked the pool and fabulous waterslide) was nice, and the cafe meal--all you can eat build your own pasta and salad bar--was very cheap and very good.

Service was extremely pleasant.

It is a very very nice property.

We were very happy
Old Aug 23, 2004, 9:55 pm

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
Two tales of Calgary hotels.

I'm staying at the Westin Calgary. Here are some details:

1. There are 2 buildings, the main and the tower.
2. The main building is where the Club floors are. Just because they are club floors does not mean the rooms are big. My room on the 17th floor (top floor at the main building) is so small.
3. Heavenly shower is being taken out to conserve water.
4. No Molten Brown products.
5. The pool is only alright.
6. The gym is rather small with little equipments.

I also stayed at the Sheraton Eau Claire across the street.
1. The suites are big.
2. There is a satalite radio with Bose speakers in higher floors.
3. The lounge is big with a terrace. Foods are great in the morning and evening.
4. No public parking at the hotel.
5. The pool is big and a slide.
6. The gym is big.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.