Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Spirit Airlines | Free Spirit
Reload this Page >

Spirit Airlines to charge for all checked-baggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2007, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier, AA, DL, HA, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver

NK is a joke. First they dupe you into buying penny flights - I mean, really, the penny flight is only good if you choose one random Tuesday in April, but the return for a penny is avail some random Wed in May.

Now, to add insult to injury, NK is going to start charging folks to check-in baggage. Are they high? They make this sound not-so-bad because the airline promises to slash fare by 40%.

What a joke.

MSNBC.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spirit Airlines to charge for all checked baggage
Fliers must buy coffee, other in-flight drinks, but carrier slashing airfares
The Associated Press
Updated: 5:52 p.m. ET March 6, 2007
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. - Spirit Airlines said Tuesday it will take the unusual step of charging for all checked baggage and for drinks such as coffee and soda on flights starting in June, while also cutting fares by up to 40 percent.

The Miramar-based low-cost carrier that flies domestically and to Latin America and the Caribbean said it is cutting fares from 10 to 40 percent systemwide, and on last-minute fares as well.

Spirit also will charge for each checked bag for flights taking place June 20 or after, according to its Web site.

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17484546/

Last edited by flipside; Mar 7, 2007 at 9:09 am Reason: Removed © material
Old Mar 7, 2007, 8:45 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to the 21st century in which airlines are finally able to unbundle prices and charge each customer for the features they actually use. No doubt the transition will be rocky, but I expect it will be permanent. ^
Old Mar 7, 2007, 9:10 am

Programs: dont matter anymore...
Not really MilesBuzz material. I'll go ahead and move this to other NA Airlines.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 6:17 pm

if they cut fares as much as they say they will, then all the better...
Old Mar 15, 2007, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
And the airlines whine people carry on LOL. Guess when I fly DTW to LGA from now on I will be carrying on. I wonder if the bin space is full and they have to start checking bags on board how they can collect the fee?

What really iritates me over this policy is at DTW spirit is AWFUL about getting your bags if you are on the flight that leaves lga at 4:30 PM. I take that flight a lot and they have four flights that land around the same time and sometimes you wait an hour for your bags and that is why I carry on when I can. If you are paying the kind of money to check a bag I hope they will be faster about handling it.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 1:17 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, Avis First
I always have great luck with Spirit's baggage service between DCA and DTW. Northworst takes about 20 minutes at DCA and 40 minutes at DTW to get your bags. With Spirit my bags are on the carousel by the time I make it to Baggage Claim. Plus I have never had lost luggage with Spirit and Northworst loses bags frequently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.