Old Apr 9, 2005, 3:25 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
Important Changes to PPS

Summary of Changes to PPS

Effective 1 September 2007.

(Re)Qualification Requirements

1) S$25,000 per year for PPS (called PPS value).

2) S$250,000 for PPS Solitaire qualification for the first time (existing accumulation converted at S$1000 per PPS sector or S$0.5 per PPS mile whichever is higher), within 5 consecutive years. For requalification S$25,000 per year. If fail to requalify PPS Solitaire then you again need S$250,000 within 5 consecutive years.

3) No transition arrangements. All (re)qualifications from 1 September 2007 will be on the new method.

4) Since now revenue based, multiples for first and business will not apply from 1 September 2007 (at least for PPS - still remain for Kris Flyer).

Lifetime Solitaire PPS

5) Status closed. Those who have qualified before 1 September 2007 will retain the status.

Benefits

6) Those failing to requalify PPS Solitaire will get 1 year PPS qualification (soft landing). No equivalent soft landing for PPS who fail to qualify (unless they also qualify for Kris Flyer Elite Gold or Elite Silver).

7) Solitaire PPS members can only use Silver Kris First Class lounge when flying Singapore Airlines or Silk Air.

8) PPS members can only use Silver Kris Business Class lounge when flying Singapore Airlines or Silk Air.

9) No use of Silver Kris lounges when flying other airlines.

10) PPS members can use Business Class check in when flying Singapore Airlines in economy. To use First Class check in need to be either PPS Solitaire or flying First Class.

Other

11) The new PPS value will show online from 1 April 2007.

12) PPS value will not be credited as quickly as PPS miles and sectors. It may take up to 2 weeks after date of flight for credit to appear.

13) PPS value excludes all taxes and surcharges.

14) No longer any earning on SQ codeshares. Only flights operated by Singapore Airlines and Silk Air count.

15) PPS value is only earned on paid first and business class fares (same as for PPS sectors and miles).

16) Lounge guest privileges remain unchanged (albeit may be in a different lounge to the one accessed currently).

17) PPS value for tickets purchased in some countries (Brunei, Canada, China, Denmark, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Korea, Philippines, Spain, Taiwan, Thailand, United Kingdom and Vietnam) will be estimated by SQ. PPS values for tickets purchased elsewhere outside Singapore will be converted to S$ by SQ.

Related information and links

Official news on SQ website - link

Offical Q&A on SQ website - link

Unofficial FT poll. The poll is now closed. Results and commentary are posted here.

PPS Value has appeared in Kris Flyer statement

PPS Value on RTW

After the PPS Amendments

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Apr 16, 2007 at 9:23 pm
Old Mar 9, 2007, 1:09 am
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Important Changes to PPS

For those that don't know:
http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthr...1439#post11439
Old Mar 9, 2007, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Rumoured:

The PPS miles/sectors count system of qualifying will be abolished. PPS can only be qualified by revenue - set at circa SGD$25,000
That's US$ 16K !
Old Mar 9, 2007, 4:24 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by kpc
For those that don't know:
Even as it stands right now, PPS was not worth it, imo, so if it goes to that level, I would not even bother requalifying....UA1K is at least worth something, with the SWU's they give you!
Old Mar 9, 2007, 5:15 am
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Rumoured:
That's US$ 16K !
Interesting!!...as that is exactly how much I spent on travel in 1 year to reach PPS
Old Mar 9, 2007, 8:06 am

Programs: SQ -KF(ex PPS), LH-M&M, AF-FB
Hello,
as a non Asian based PPS Member it is already difficult to requalify, especially when your employer avoids business trip bookings with SQ due to no or only a few % discount possible.
Here in Europe LX, TG , AF/KLM and on some routes LH and last but not least EK are pricing their Asian routes very competitive.
I can only get PPS Sectors when flying SQ on Intra Asian routes or the long haul routes privately.
If the enhancement comes true I will not try to requalify anymore and LH and LX and maybe TG will see me more often .
The remaining benefits as F-class lounge access only when flying F on SQ is not worth to buy a more expensive SQ ticket -I can fly F on LH(e.g. using my upgrade options) and I can visit the SKL F-section as well.Also The TG lounge in SIN is not so bad- with *G-status you are allowed to use it.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 9:23 am

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kpc
Interesting!!...as that is exactly how much I spent on travel in 1 year to reach PPS
Its more than what I spent to get two years of PPS
Old Mar 9, 2007, 11:23 am

Programs: AC MM
Most people will still fly SQ, not to reach PPS level but because they like the service standard of SQ in all classes, which still is better then most.
Those who can't reach PPS will choose other *carriers to put their miles and still have lounge access except SKL unless flying in C/J/F.
It looks like SQ will achive exactly what they want. A more exclusive PPS program, rewarding those that spend most $ with them but still keep a lot of people flying with them because of their product and service.
I am wondering of all the PPS members how many are there that are doing actually "PPS runs" etc., maybe SQ realized loosing those won't make such a big difference when it comes to the bottom line versus money spend on taking care of all of them all year around.
I have to pay for each trip out of my own pocket, I have to watch our bottom line as a business, SQ won't be on top of my list anymore but I'll still fly with them and will still reach *Gold but not with SQ anymore.

From my viewpoint ideally an airline wants to have a lot of passengers but as little as possible FF's as they become a responsibility/liability. For people to collect miles with Airline "A" while flying on airline "B", is good for airline "B" while airlines "A" has the responsiblity "B" get's the revenue.
It seems that is exacly where SQ is going. Letting other airlines take care of the FF's while they fill up their planes because of product and service.
Doesn't seem fair but who can blame them. They are using the system just as we are, to their best advantage.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
The PPS programme was initially established as that - an exclusive 'club' that can only be achieved by flying in premium cabins, in Business and First Class. That was the plan for 23 years now.

People who flew more regularly but on economy class are not 'invited' to the club. Perhaps now by putting a dollar figure on qualification, that might change. One may still achieve the qualification level, even when flying in economy!

But to SQ - they will finally recognise who are the ones worthy enough to be called their club members. Ok so now it's all down to miles... still nothing to sniff at to get 25 sectors in First or Business Class. But due to SQ's knowledge of certain individuals who fly just for the miles and PPS sectors, the club isn't exclusive anymore.

In the meantime, before they implement this system - start your mileage runs!
Old Mar 10, 2007, 12:50 am

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
The PPS programme was initially established as that - an exclusive 'club' that can only be achieved by flying in premium cabins, in Business and First Class. That was the plan for 23 years now.

People who flew more regularly but on economy class are not 'invited' to the club. Perhaps now by putting a dollar figure on qualification, that might change. One may still achieve the qualification level, even when flying in economy!

But to SQ - they will finally recognise who are the ones worthy enough to be called their club members. Ok so now it's all down to miles... still nothing to sniff at to get 25 sectors in First or Business Class. But due to SQ's knowledge of certain individuals who fly just for the miles and PPS sectors, the club isn't exclusive anymore.

In the meantime, before they implement this system - start your mileage runs!
Do you mean start your PPS runs? Well I will reach 25 sectors again on April 1st. I hope I will be PPS for 1 more year. Though I am not sure what benefit I will get out of it.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 10:24 am

Programs: SQ PPS, LH SEN, Amex something, nothing everywhere else
Hm, not sure what to make of this. I don't even know if the new qualification requirements would allow me to retain PPS, as I fly on many different kinds of tickets, partially with large-ish corporate discounts.

Going to a revenue-based system of elite recognition opens up quite a few cans of worms. I wonder if it's worth it. After all, if there are too many PPS members, why not increase the sector count requirement? SQ must have a pretty good idea of how many people squeak by with 25 sectors, and would know how many they'd retain at 35, 40 or 50 sectors. It would be much easier.

Furthermore, how many people can there be who qualify for PPS doing sector runs? I'd guess fairly few, but then again, I am guessing.

For me the main benefit of PPS status has been the clearing of waiting lists. Other nice things to have are requalification presents, the F lounge access and the marginal, minute increase in op-up probabilities. I've flown CX a lot in the last year, and have been very impressed with their recognition of my OW Emerald status (via BA).

I would definitely miss the PPS chase every year if they move it completely out of reach, but it won't be a disaster. Probably the worst part will be losing the warm fuzzy feeling of having a PPS card. Have to maintain FT traditions, after all.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
[QUOTE=WearyBizTrvlr;7377763]

Furthermore, how many people can there be who qualify for PPS doing sector runs? I'd guess fairly few, but then again, I am guessing.
QUOTE]

Very few. With SQ CMB run dead.EX:BKK fares up due to currency exchange,PPS runs do not come cheap.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 4:53 pm

Programs: SQ silver, NH, TG
Revenue based ?

As per SQ website :

The cost of a F class ticket NRT-BKK OW is 328.720 yen or 2.800 USD
The same F class ticket BKK-NRT OW is 52.780 baht or 1.500 USD

For a same sector they will allocate you nearly double 'revenue points' if you fly the sector in one or the other direction ?
What if you bought your return ticket in Japan you get better 'revenue points' than if your ticket for the same sector was bought in BKK ?

This seems to be very unworkable for my simple mind......

Last edited by JackR; Mar 10, 2007 at 8:01 pm
Old Mar 10, 2007, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One thing about SQ, they know how to get the maximum revenue per flight. About the ex. (where-ever) run the more loopholes they close the more new doors open. They still have to fill their planes with cash paying PAX(and they know not everyone will pay their fares in all markets they serve)! JackR/YYZP I just saw a CMB/SIN/BKK/NRT return for less than 2000 USD in F (surely not as good as the old, old days, but not bad either if that's what you want). It really is too bad that SQ is eating their own .
Old Mar 10, 2007, 8:08 pm

Programs: SQ silver, NH, TG
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
One thing about SQ, they know how to get the maximum revenue per flight. About the ex. (where-ever) run the more loopholes they close the more new doors open. They still have to fill their planes with cash paying PAX(and they know not everyone will pay their fares in all markets they serve)! JackR/YYZP I just saw a CMB/SIN/BKK/NRT return for less than 2000 USD in F (surely not as good as the old, old days, but not bad either if that's what you want). It really is too bad that SQ is eating their own .
My point is that I think the revenue PPS rule (as rumored) is not workable.
If I buy an open dated ticket in BKK for BKK-NRT-BKK and I decide 8onths down the line to use my NRT-BKK coupon, How are they going to decide how many revenur points to allocate to my trip NRT-BKK as opposed to some guy who has bought a NRT-BKK in Japan ?
As I said I think it is unworkable for a FF club to use a revenue based system.
Raising the numbers of sectors seems the easiest way to go if they want to make their club more exclusive....

As I only fly F and sometimes C, being or not being PPS does not matter much if it is not for the renewal and B-day gifts, WL clearing and discount at SIn duty-free and inflight duty-free...Access to the F section of SKL is nice if you are based in SIN but in most other locations there is not much difference...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.