Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ride Report - '07 Nissan Altima

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2007, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Ride Report - '07 Nissan Altima

Averted a Taurus upgrade crisis and scored one of these redesigned models at DFW last week...

http://www.nissanusa.com/altima/

My base 2.5SE model had the optional continuously-variable automatic transmission (CVT) for a grand total of $20,915.

Powertrain: The newest-generation Altima continues with the standard 2.5L four-cylinder, this time producing 175 hp. Power is excellent for the size of the engine, especially for a base model. Noise, however is raucous, and not in a pleasing way (such as Honda's four-cylinder motors, for example). The CVT is extremely responsive and is inherently smooth and free of shift vibrations. Fuel economy is EPA-estimated 26/34 mpg city/highway, and my figures seem to have matched that.

Ride/Handling: Being on the sportier end of the family-sedan bunch, the redesigned Altima certainly doesn't disappoint. Chassis feel and grip are solid, and body roll is kept to a minimum. Ride-quality is surprisingly smooth and road/wind noise are controlled well. The steering is a bit of an oddity, though -- it's responsive and provides excellent feedback, but feels light and numb as well. Brakes work as expected in feel and stopping distance.

Interior: The last-generation Altima was sometimes criticized for interior cheapness, and this Altima fixes many of those problems. Build and tactile quality are noticeably improved, though materials quality still falls a bit short of the class leaders. Space is comparable to other competitors, and trunk space really shines. Seats are comfortable and controls are within easy reach.

Design: Much of the Altima's exterior design is evolutionary, and it works for the most part, except for (IMO) the hideously-bulbous rear-end. It sticks out way too much and makes the car look ungainly. I also am not a fan of the clear taillights. However, the interior is another story -- elegant and simple, but unique enough to showcase the Altima's sporting intentions. Gauges are an attractive electroluminescent white/orange color, and visibility is fine throughout the cabin.

Features: The new Altima has all the requisite features in base trim, including the full set of airbags and power accessories. It also has a standard keyless start/remote similar to that of the new Infiniti G35.

Value: The Altima is classed as a D, with the Sonata and G6 usually as classmates (depending on location). Of that group, I'd take the Altima if I needed a sporty sedan, but of course the Mustang is also a choice in the D class for someone who cares less about comfort/space and more about performance. Overall though, it looks like Nissan will continue to have one of the more engaging entrants in the family sedan class. ^

To sum it up:

The Good
Sharp dynamics
Comfortable and spacious

The Bad
What's with the Sir Mix-a-Lot rear end?
Light steering
Some interior quality issues
Old Mar 13, 2007, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, AMEX PLAT
I am driving a rental Altima now. Love the keyless entry/ignition. Not a bad car. Agree with OP about some of the interior quality issues. I like the car though. I would take it over a Mustang any day of the week for pure comfort and driveability.

Good post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.