Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waitlisted for Upgrade; Should I OLCI?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2009, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Waitlisted for Upgrade; Should I OLCI?

I'm flying BOS-ORD-HKG-SGN tomorrow. Applied an SWU, cleared BOS-ORD and HKG-SGN, waitlisted ORD-HKG. UA895 is showing C9, Z9, NC0.

Should I bother with OLCI and just ask at BOS if I've been upgraded?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 16, 2009 at 11:20 am Reason: added clarification to thread title
Old Mar 16, 2009, 10:11 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
No idea what your status and fare paid are... but generally speaking you should do OLCI as soon as possible because time added to the DM list is the tiebreaker after status & fare so it can't hurt. But if the flight is C9 you probably have a good shot at clearing regardless.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 11:17 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
See also: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...e-checkin.html
Old Mar 16, 2009, 12:27 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
It's a tough call, sometimes.

I recently had a sponsored upgrade ex-Hawai`i clear at 3 hours out. But I'd already done OLCI since for a week the flight had been showing F1/NF0 and as a 2P I figured there was zero chance.

But since I'd already checked-in (and since the Easy Check-In kiosk would let me cancel check in for some reason), I had to deal with the CSR in person and instruct her on how to off-load me and re-check me in. She had to call over another agent to help figure out how to do it.

Turns out that she pulled e500s from my sponsor's account instead of the expected CR1.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 1:00 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by cblaisd
It's a tough call, sometimes.

I recently had a sponsored upgrade ex-Hawai`i clear at 3 hours out. But I'd already done OLCI since for a week the flight had been showing F1/NF0 and as a 2P I figured there was zero chance.

But since I'd already checked-in (and since the Easy Check-In kiosk would let me cancel check in for some reason), I had to deal with the CSR in person and instruct her on how to off-load me and re-check me in. She had to call over another agent to help figure out how to do it.

Turns out that she pulled e500s from my sponsor's account instead of the expected CR1.
Yet another example of how United's lack of training of its employees on its own byzantine system of rules and computer procedures can end up helping its customers. Every time I used to try to combine a Visa 1000 mile upgrade (are they still handing those out??) with e500s, I'd end up with MORE e500s in my account rather than fewer...
Old Mar 16, 2009, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Did you report this and get the mistake corrected?
Old Sep 21, 2009, 4:53 am

Programs: ual 1k, marriott platinum
upgrade not cleared check in question

I am flying den lax mco. Am 1K and using an expiring SWU? Only den lax has cleared. Should I do OLCI at home or checkin at airport to have a better chance at upgrade

Thanks
Old Sep 21, 2009, 5:06 am

Programs: UA G
If it hasn't cleared at the 24 hr mark, then you're on the DM list for upgrades. Check in as soon at the 24 hour mark for best position on DM.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 6:22 am

Programs: UA 1K
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.297 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Originally Posted by unavaca
If it hasn't cleared at the 24 hr mark, then you're on the DM list for upgrades. Check in as soon at the 24 hour mark for best position on DM.
That's exactly what I do and almost always my u/g has cleared by the time I get to the gate and see my name on the screen.
I check everyday before hand, but they have been mostly clearing at the gate of recent.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 8:33 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by cielodome
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.297 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

That's exactly what I do and almost always my u/g has cleared by the time I get to the gate and see my name on the screen.
I check everyday before hand, but they have been mostly clearing at the gate of recent.
When you say check everyday how many TIMES a day do you check? I can't seem to check any less than 3 or so.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Can I summarize?

I just waded through the 5 pages of this thread. Let me summarize what I think is the way to do this:

1) Online check in as early as possible to beat out somebody who is the same status and fare as you do. This is the only time early online check in has an advantage, otherwise, status and fare trump time of check-in.

2) When you on-line check in this early, you may have to "uncheck" yourself and get a new boarding pass if you do get the upgrade.

3) The reason some people say to wait until the last possible minute is so that they do not have to "uncheck" themselves or get a new BP, which can be a hassle.

Is this a correct summary?
Old Mar 5, 2010, 6:34 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
It depends...

Originally Posted by GoingAway
yes
I recently had the experience of checking in online for a return flight to ORD from PVG. I checked in right at the 24 hour point, with a waitlisted upgrade on the screen.

Shortly after that, my SWU UG cleared, but I was blocked from seat selection and it was under airport control in PVG with 23 hours to go until flight time.

No one at web support or on the 1K line could offload me and allow me to pick the only available window seat (no aisles left at that point) so I was very frustrated. Fortunately, the following day I got the seat I had asked for by getting to the airport early enough to be one of the first to check in for Business Class.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SFflyer123
I just waded through the 5 pages of this thread. Let me summarize what I think is the way to do this:

1) Online check in as early as possible to beat out somebody who is the same status and fare as you do. This is the only time early online check in has an advantage, otherwise, status and fare trump time of check-in.

2) When you on-line check in this early, you may have to "uncheck" yourself and get a new boarding pass if you do get the upgrade.

3) The reason some people say to wait until the last possible minute is so that they do not have to "uncheck" themselves or get a new BP, which can be a hassle.

Is this a correct summary?

bump to see if more experienced folks agree with the very cogent 3 points above. thanks.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by Dr_wanderlust
bump to see if more experienced folks agree with the very cogent 3 points above. thanks.
I recall when using 500's if you had a connecting itin that would result in fewer 500's being pulled than the separate segments, you would want to wait to check-in until ALL segments cleared.

Now that UDU is in place, I suppose this isn't an issue anymore?
Old Mar 26, 2010, 5:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by GoPUBoilers
I recall when using 500's if you had a connecting itin that would result in fewer 500's being pulled than the separate segments, you would want to wait to check-in until ALL segments cleared.

Now that UDU is in place, I suppose this isn't an issue anymore?

But what about for international travel? if you are wait-listed should you use OLCI or wait until the airport?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.